• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using RoboHelp to create online tutorials?

New Here ,
Jan 08, 2007 Jan 08, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our company currently uses RoboHelp to create our Help Systems. As a training developer, who has used a course authoring software package for the past five years, I was wondering if RoboHelp would be a good environment to develop training tutorials. I love the fact that you can search and index the help systems and thought the potential may be there to search for information within tutorials as well.

I know Captivate is the software simulation product, however a lot of our training material is either mainly text, or numerous screen shots showing an individual how to use an application.

As I am new to RoboHelp, does anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi LNT and welcome to our community.

RH certainly has a lot to offer those wishing to produce training materials. Search capabilities cetainly exist although they work differently depending on what format your output will be in (e.g. Compiled HTML, Webhelp, etc.). You may also want to check out the browse sequence functionality that is ideal to lead a user through a logical sequence of steps (e.g. procedures). What I'd do is create a new RH project and experiment from there. RH is easy to learn compared to other HATs. Feel free to post any questions here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

I have already started to create a small sample tutorial. I do have a couple of questions:

1. How do I set the window to have the right frame display initially, without the left index frame? I want to leave the index frame so that the user can access it if neccesary.

2. Our Help System is in HTML, but I am thinking of using WebHelp Pro (from a dedicated server). When I View Primary Layout, the index frame and button at the top of the form do not display. I get the yellow box located just below the Internet Explorer toolbar saying 'To help protect your security, Internet Explorer has resticted this file from showing active content that could access your computer. Click here to for options....'. That could be a real pain for 1200 users. Is there a way to if off for RoboHelp WebHelp Pro?

3. Can I create my own skin?

Once again thanks.

LNT1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like Colum, welcome to the Forums!
(The following assumes the WebHelp Pro scenario you outlined)

>>>1. How do I set the window to have the right frame display initially, without the left index frame? I want to leave the index frame so that the user can access it if neccesary.

1. Make sure WebHelp Pro is your primary layout.
2. Create a new Window, call it OnePane and select the tickbox in Window properties for One Pane and click OK. (This means the Navigation pane (Contents, Index, Search, etc.) are hidden when first launched.
3. Bring up the WebHelp Pro single source layout wizard.
4. Tick the box: Show navigation pane link in topics (this is what allows the user to opt to see the Index and navigation pane if they want.
5. Be sure to select "OnePane" as your default window you just created and complete the wizard to publish.
6. Caveat: There is a shortcoming when you view locally from the authoring machine. You will not be able to see the effects of your changes. These can only viewed in a web browser pointed to your actual WebHelp Pro site.
7. Publish to the RoboEngine server to view all the changes you made and notice the "Show" link that allows the user to reveal the navigation pane.

>>>2. Our Help System is in HTML, but I am thinking of using WebHelp Pro (from a dedicated server). When I View Primary Layout, the index frame and button at the top of the form do not display. I get the yellow box located just below the Internet Explorer toolbar saying 'To help protect your security, Internet Explorer has resticted this file from showing active content that could access your computer. Click here to for options....'. That could be a real pain for 1200 users. Is there a way to if off for RoboHelp WebHelp Pro?

I believe you may be encountering something that is only seen by you because you're viewing it locally. When published, the user would not see this. To remove this annoying message, go to Internet Options > Advanced > scroll down to Security and tick the box "Allow active content to run on My Computer." (Also, for more info, do a search in the forums for "Mark of the Web")

>>>3. Can I create my own skin?

Sure. Use the WebHelp skin editor as you normally would. Give the skin a name and use it when you publish.
Hope this helps.
John
John Daigle
Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 09, 2007 Jan 09, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding Point 2, you have excellent timing as Rick Stone's latest tutorial on this very issue has just been released. Click here to access it. Whilst you're there you may want to bookmark his sight. It's excellent.
Regarding Point 3, you can also download skins from the web if you don't want to produce your own. There are an ever increasing number available and some are even free. Just google!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 09, 2007 Jan 09, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi LNT1

You didn't say how you'd like to deliver this training material. Just that the delivery method may influence the approach that you take. CD/Online or just copying the files locally?

I'd also highly recommend throwing a few questions on the captivate forum where captivate/robohelp issues are often discussed.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/index.cfm?forumid=67

Kind Regards
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2007 Jan 18, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
We will be delivering the training over our corporate intranet, however there may be a need to create a CD occassionally.

Thanks for all of your advice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp