• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What does "Purge" do?

Feb 12, 2013 Feb 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've been using After Effects for a tiny while, I've doe a few simple things in it. I've also made my intro for my videos, which turned out well, buut one thing I can not find  the answer to! ANYWHERE!

I've been told to "make sure you purge your stuff", and I've heard it has to do with the RAM Preview option. But what does "Purging" actually do?

Thank you for answering my question!

Thanks,

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Purge frees up memory, it does not clear the disk cache. Your ram previews and audio previews are stored in memory. Basically everything in the timline with a green line over the frames is stored in memory. If you're also getting a blue line then you have disk cache turned on.

If you have AE configured to use Disk Cache in the preferences then you should go in anc clean in out on a regular basis.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can clean AE's disk cache by going to Preferences > Media and Disk Cache, then click the Empty Disk Cache button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2019 Feb 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG THANK YOU I WAS WORRIED IF I PURGED IT ALL MY STUFF WOULD BE GONE!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Feb 02, 2019 Feb 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is an old thread so not sure how it was in 2013 but today you don't need to go into preferences to clean clean your cache.  If you go to Edit>Purge you have an option to purge both memory & disk cache.   If you use the Purge shortcut (CTRL+ALT+NumPad /) it will only purge the memory.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 13, 2013 Feb 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Empty_Disk_Cache.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines