• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Starting fm8 produces: Internal Error: 8004, 7074840, 7076383, 6297905

New Here ,
Feb 14, 2013 Feb 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks, I know fm8 is OLD, we have fm11 in plan for this year...   That said, I have one colleague who can no longer launch fm8, its abends with the subject error msg.   I search around and found talk about the user.dct file.   Unfortunately she does not have that file.   We have tried uninstalling and reinstalling with no luck.   I have vague recollections of a simliar problem a few years back where I thought the solution was renaming a folder that fm recreated at startup - was it linguistics or something like that?   Bottom line, help!  Please?:)  Additional info - she was messing around with printer drivers yesterday, however I had her set her default driver to adobe pdf...   Any ideas?

Mike

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, renaming her Linguistics folder (it's a hidden folder) should get her back going again. Use the SetPrint freebie plugin to keep FM happy with Adobe PDF as its default printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the confirmation Jeff, but... Ugh...  Didnt work...   This is win7.  So we renamed the linguistics folder for 2 users here: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Linguistics. There are more linguistics folders in the progam files directories.  Also some more under users in appdata\localow.   Actually we just tried those in appdata\localow now and it didnt work either...  Can you confirm which linguistics folder is the culprit?

Thanks, Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2013 Feb 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New news...  Success!   I remoted into her pc and found the user.dct file.  Renamed it and life is good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike,

FYI, a user.dct or site.dct file is just a text file where entries can also be manually added. However, if there isn't a hyphenation mark for an entry, then FM will crash, Non-hyphenated words must have the hyphen as the leading character, e.g. "-fail", to indicate that no hyphenation should take place. It's possible that this file was incorrectly editied or corrupted.

There are more details on dictionaries and the differences between the older version (FM8 and earlier) vs. the newer ones (FM9 and on) in this blog:

http://blogs.adobe.com/techcomm/2009/12/dictionaries_in_fm9.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Arnis, she for sure was not consciously using the user dictionary.   So it managed to corrupt itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines