• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Deploy all 19 patches for Acrobat 9 in one step?

Mar 06, 2012 Mar 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have about a thousand machines that are all running Acrobat 9.0.0 - I wrote a script that looks like this:

strComputer = "."

Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")

On Error resume next

Set colAcrobat = objWMIService.ExecQuery ("Select * from Win32_Product Where Name like '%Adobe Acrobat%'")

For Each objSoftware in colAcrobat

Acrobat = objSoftware.Upgrade (".\AcroProStdUpd910_T1T2_incr.msp",REBOOT=ReallySuppress)

Wscript.Echo Acrobat

Acrobat = objSoftware.Upgrade (".\AcrobatUpd911_all_incr.msp",REBOOT=ReallySuppress)

Wscript.Echo Acrobat

Acrobat = objSoftware.Upgrade (".\AcrobatUpd912_all_incr.msp",REBOOT=ReallySuppress)

Wscript.Echo Acrobat

Acrobat = objSoftware.Upgrade (".\AcrobatUpd913_all_incr.msp",REBOOT=ReallySuppress)

Wscript.Echo Acrobat

etc etc

Right about after it installs 9.1.2 - I get an error with 9.1.3 - basically I need to reboot.

Is there some way of doing it in one go? This may work better if I run the script via sccm with the user logged off, but testing this thing is a total nightmare .

TOPICS
Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 06, 2012 Mar 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try one of the methods in the admin guide like the one suggested here?:

http://blogs.adobe.com/pdfitmatters/2010/11/install-acrobat-9-0-and-all-updates-and-patches-in-one-s...

Admin guide: http://www.adobe.com/go/acrobatitinfo

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mar 07, 2012 Mar 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well its ok for an initial install, but what do you do for a bunch of machines that already have this installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 08, 2012 Mar 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I ended up doing was pulling back what was there and deploying the product with all the patches sequenced. Its odd that I can do that without rebooting, but I can't install the patches one by one without rebooting...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 09, 2012 Mar 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not that anyone reads these messages, but I tested this process on one lab last night - 64 sucessful installs, so I'll probably roll this procedure out tonight across my thousands of machines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2012 Apr 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been trying to do the same thing for a while now.

Due to some issues we had with McAfee blocking the VBScript engine, a lot of my installers have been very complicated .CMD files.

I looked into the Adobe bootstrapper (setup.exe) earlier this month and also found it was great for new installs, but not for upgrading existing installs.

My current batch file seems to upgrade to Adobe Acrobat 9.5.1 just fine if the system was originally installed with the same .MSI I used in my script.

For systems that were installed with a previous admin's 9.4.4 installer, my installation script fails out with error 1638 (Another version of this product is already installed...).

I suspect it was made as an AIP, which is why I can't patch it like normal, but he's no longer employed here for me to verify.

If I try to just apply select patches one-by-one like you described, I get error 1642 (The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program...).

Doing a full uninstall and new install seems to be the only workaround I can find.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Your deductions sound correct. If the previous install was via an AIP, you're better off uninstalling and starting over with a bootstrapper workflow.

BTW, 10.x patches are usually cumulative and there's only half as many due to improved security hardening.

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, brogers_1.  I've never done an AIP installation before and everything I've read seems to indicate they have a lot of quirks to them.  Since 9.4.4 was a security patch, I'm pretty sure he hosed his AIP by including it.

I'm looking forward to when our organization gets licenses for Adobe Acrobat 10.x since we have SCCM and patching will be so much easier with SCUP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This probably won't help you, but there's an experimental 9.x Reader SCUP catalog on LABs.

Just in case. . .

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've upgraded to Adobe Reader 10.1.3 already.

I guess there just wasn't budget for Adobe Acrobat licenses.

Thanks anyway! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 21, 2012 Dec 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's go back to the title of this thread. I just received a (great) Fujitsu ScanSnap 1500 scanner for my MacBook Pro (Lion). Along with the scanner was a copy of Acrobat Pro 9 for Mac, one of this reasons I went for this scanner at the present time. The disk is Acrobat Pro 9.0, which is fine. What is NOT FINE is the burden of installing NINETEEN sequential upgrades!! How many hundreds (thousands?) of hours are wasted by Adobe customers as a result of this ridiculous policy?

For YEARS, software developers have offered full upgrades, at least for every major version (e.g., 9.1, 9.2, 9.3). As stated earlier (and especially since Acrobat 9 is no longer under active development), why can't you do a series of upgrades AT ADOBE, and then offer an unregistered download. This would make the download available only to users with a valid license key, and save them hours of work.

At the very least, (Note: Bold, italics, AND underline!) you could bundle all the downloads into one (or perhaps 2 or 3) zip files so we don't have to sequentially navigate through THREE WEB PAGES for each of the nineteen upgrades. Let's see - 3 X 19 = FIFTY SEVEN PAGES I have to visit just to obtain the files. Then I have to wait for the download, mount and open each one, type in my system password, and wait for the installation. 

ADOBE -- GIVE US A BREAK!!!   This is an indefensible customer support fiasco!!!

(Pardon me for 'yelling', but there are circumstances in which yelling is called for. This is one of them. In fact, this situation is probably deserving of more than 'yelling', but I don't wasnt to get booted off the site. Besides, there may be children listening.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 21, 2012 Dec 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess Adobe's view was that since there is an automatic updater, why does it matter? (No, I don't speak for them).

I think more people agreed with you, though, and as of more recent versions of Acrobat (10), there are bundled updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 24, 2012 Dec 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Ejgallaher,

9.x products were released eons ago in "software time," and while still supported, they wont' be for long. We are now on version 11.

Note that since the advent of 10.x's protected mode and protected view, the number of udpates and patches has been dramatically reduced. 10.x also introduced cumulative updates where all quarterly updates include previous patches. Additionally, 11.x products have reduced the number of Acrobat installers from 24 to 2, and I'm sure the number of patches will continue to decline.

Also, enterprise users typically start with the Admin Guide which points you to the enterprise FTP site where there are no download pages or click through screens. The issues you point out don't exist for those who use the enterprise doc and downloads.

If you want less work and more streamlined deployments, don't use a 5 years old product.

hth,

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 17, 2013 Feb 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, cdvescio1, 

I agree, this was not a very helpful reply from Adobe staff. I am somewhat responsible for the miscommunication; when I posted my message I had not noticed that this thread was aimed for Enterprise Deployment. This would suggest the typical question would come from an IT professional. It's just me here.

OTOH, regardless of how old Acrobat Pro 9.0 is, I just obtained it in December along with a Fujitsu scanner, and I wanted to get it upgraded to its latest version to be sure it worked correctly. It's not my fault if Fujitsu is handing out older versions of Acrobat. In fact, it's probably a marketing strategy for Adobe to encourage users to try 9.0, and then upgrade to 10 or 11.

As I said, the thread is aimed for Enterprise Deployment. Nevertheless, the tone of brogen's reply struck me as a little snarky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 14, 2013 Mar 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe 9 may be older, but its BETTER than Adobe 10 (haven't tried XI yet).  Why?  Because in Adobe 9 standard we can combine PDFs to a portfolio, which preserves form data.  In Adobe X Std they removed the portfolio option.  The result?  The last pdf combined forms values will overwrite all the previous pdfs form values.  They want you to get the pro version which on newegg was $120!  I'm not buying 3 of those for the 3 people that need this feature.

The result?  Run belarc advisor on these peoples old computers to get the adobe product key.  Then open a pdf and wait forever and a day for the deactivate menu item to appear.  Deactivate then uninstall adobe 9 from their old pc.  On the new pc, uninstall acrobat x std (from dell) and install acrobat 9.

Now run all those G.D. updates because there's no cumulative patch.

I hate adobe... with... a .... passion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 19, 2013 Mar 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would try using Bootstrapper method instead.  You can still use a script but the installation will still take a long time with that many updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines