• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to convert .hlp files to .chm file in windows 7 ???

New Here ,
Feb 18, 2013 Feb 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Need to know the steps....

TOPICS
Classic

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2013 Feb 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

plz someone help...............................

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 19, 2013 Feb 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try opening the RoboHelp HTML application (not the RoboHelp for Word application used to create the .HLP file). There create a new project specifying to import the HLP file. From memory that does a pretty good job of bringing across the content. Once there it is easy to create a CHM file. If you need to know more specifics, you'll need to tell us which version of RoboHelp you have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using RoboHelp 10....

I need the specific steps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Open the RoboHelp HTML application.
  2. Click the "More" link in the Import section of the displayed wizard.
  3. Select WinHelp (*.hlp).
  4. Click OK.
  5. Browse to your HLP file and select it.
  6. Click Next to go to the next step of the wizard.
  7. Specify the directories you want to use for the various fields and the name for your starting topic.
  8. Click Next to go to the next step of the wizard.
  9. I'd suggest you leave the options as they are on this step of the wizard. You'll have to assign a style sheet to your topic later.
  10. Click Next to go to the next step of the wizard.
  11. Change your options as required.
  12. Click Finish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we need the steps after this to generate .chm file.we have imported the .hlp file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a moderator can I ask that people be more specific. Had you stated that at the outset it would have saved RoboColum(n) from stopping work to prepare the list he gave you.

Creating a CHM is as simple as going to the Single Source Layout pod and opening the Microsoft HTML Layout, then setting the options you require. Help for those can be accessed by pressing F1.

If you have problems with any of the steps, then come back with specific questions and someone will be happy to help.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

where will the .chm will b savd aftr importing?..

we are new to this tool so we need xplanation in simple language..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Catherine. A CHM is not "saved" anywhere after you import your HLP file. The CHM is created via a different process as Peter outlined. However you are likely to be a long way off from being in a position to create a CHM file. There are a lot of other considerations (e.g. style sheets, window definitions, etc.). Have you set these up and applied them? If not, and you don't know what to do, I suggest that this is best handled by you getting some good training.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you send the links were we will find the info about these??.. i am barely in a bad situation..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that Catherine but what you require is a lot of hand holding, training and advice. This is a user to user forum and as such we too have demanding jobs. I can help, but it will have to wait until I am able to help. If you can't wait, try reading the product help files. They are relatively good for fairly basic queries like this. If you require further help, contact me using the email link in my profile. Alternatively there are some books around that could help. IconLogic have one that has been updated for RoboHelp 10 and can be found here: http://www.iconlogic.com/robohelp-html-10-workbook-adobe-iconlogic.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we are trying to generate .chm because we are migrating the application to 64 bit from 32 bit and those help files must also be changed from .hlp files.we want to know how to link the generated .chm files with that application?..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. Now the scope of your original question has expanded to making sure your applications calls it correctly! There are so many questions that I or someone else would need to ask and get answers to that it makes little sense to continue this thread. As I have said before, what you want is a lot of training and hand holding. This takes time. If you are not able to spend the time to learn how to do what you want, please don't expect someone else to do it for you free of charge. All of us who offer advice here are paid employees or freelancers. Whilst we do not mind offering free advice where we can, sometimes we simply can't. This is one of those situations.

If you want me to help you further you can contact me via my website. However I will not be in a position to do anything straight away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Maybe Item 4 at http://www.grainge.org/pages/snippets/snippets.htm#chms will help. It is old but so are CHMs.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp