• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Eyedropper in PS CS6 picking wrong color

Participant ,
Feb 11, 2013 Feb 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My eyedropper started picking the wrong color!  I ahve reset and reinstalled PS - and still have this problem.  No matter what color I click the eyedropper on, it picks a shade darker than what I want.  Anyone have any ideas?  Like I said, I am running PS CS6 on OS Mountain Lion.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Feb 12, 2013 Feb 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Activate the Eyedropper. If it's still misbehaving then post a PNG screenshot of the entire screen - we need to see the document, Layers panel and Options bar when the Eyedropper is the active tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2013 Feb 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have problems with the eyedropper in RGB mode. I have a blue background color and when selecting it with the eyedropper I get #244f69 when I'm in RGB mode. And if I use that color in CSS on a website, the color gets darger than the original color in Photoshop. But if I change to CMYK mode and use the eyedropper again, then i get this code on the same background #00516a. And with that code I get the color I want on the website.

Adobe Photoshop Version: 13.0 (13.0 20120315.r.428 2012/03/15:21:00:00) x64

Am I doing something wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hanci wrote:

I also have problems with the eyedropper in RGB mode. I have a blue background color and when selecting it with the eyedropper I get #244f69 when I'm in RGB mode. And if I use that color in CSS on a website, the color gets darger than the original color in Photoshop. But if I change to CMYK mode and use the eyedropper again, then i get this code on the same background #00516a. And with that code I get the color I want on the website.

Adobe Photoshop Version: 13.0 (13.0 20120315.r.428 2012/03/15:21:00:00) x64

Am I doing something wrong?

Apart from your Photoshop needing updated to at least 13.0.1, the problem may be that your RGB document, which you're sampling in Photoshop, does not have sRGB profile and/or your Web browser is not colour managed and/or your computer is not using a correctly calibrated monitor profile and/or something else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to install the updates to Photoshop 13.0.4 (perpetual license) or 13.1.2 (subscription and cloud).

But my guess is that you have the eyedropper set to sample something other than what you expect.

Select the eyedropper tool, and check all the options in it's options bar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also make sure that if you're expecting it to pick the color of the pixel you click on that it's sampling a single pixel.

Activate the Eyedropper Tool, RIGHT click on the document, and choose the sample size you want (e.g., single pixel).  If it's set to a larger sample size it will average in adjacent colors.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much! I have been trying to figure this problem out for awhile. This solved the issue for me:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2014 Aug 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is old, but i want to answer it in case anyone searches for this problem in the future. My problem is that i had a layer of curves activated/visible. when i used the eydropper tool, it was taking the original layer that already has a curve on it, and then putting another curve on it again!  just deactivate the curve layer and the problem is solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2015 Feb 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eyedropper in PS CS6 picking wrong color

My eyedropper in Photoshop CS6 is picking wrong color !!. Below given image will show the eyedropper results. From the image it's clear that the eyedropper (color picker) is picking different color in different area from a plane color box (which is not a gradient one). The actual color in the box is #F72727.

eyedropper-result.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 20, 2015 Feb 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You didn't check all the options -- you have the sample size set to a large area, and it is averaging in the white outside the red.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2015 Feb 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But even if I am selecting with the eyedropper, I am not getting the exact color. It always picking a lighter version of the actual color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 15, 2016 Mar 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Older thread but this helped me. I don't know how that changed on me so it was hard for me to figure it out. I was sampling a huge area. I used right click and changed that. Is there somewhere that this is getting changed without me knowing that I am changing it. What I mean is that if I am using the eyedropper tool and pick a certain parameter or setting does it automatically change the area it samples without making it clear to me that it is also changing the sampling area so it can accomplish what I want? Thanks all your the best!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2016 May 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As others have said, this is more than likely the sample size of the eye dropper. select the eye dropper tool, change the sample size to 'point sample' and you should be fine.

Why does photoshop take that red colour and make it pink? because the eye dropper is sampling a large area that contains that red and also a heap of the white surrounding the red and mixing them into a pink colour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2018 Jan 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

-Select EYE DROPPER

-Right click

-Select POINT SAMPLE

DONE

Screenshot_4.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2018 Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thankyou !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines