Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unstable Pen Pressure only on Photoshop Windows 8

Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2013 Feb 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Photoshop CS4 CS5 or CS6 is the only program that is unstable with pen pressure sensitivity, all the other programs work flawlessly (zbrush, art rage, sketchbook, painter, mypaint, etc).

In Photoshop if the stroke is fast enough it will draw the line normally and with pressure, but if the line is drawn slowly it will make 100% pressure just like a mouse behaves.

Here's an example of brush strokes, the black ones are the slow strokes that don't register pressure sensitivity.

http://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-3325342-50365/pressureFailing.png

This topic has been covered in these 3 posts "Wacom Intuos4 + PS CS4 Pressure problem", ""Pressure Sensitivity Problem with Wacom Bamboo Pen Tablet in Windows 7" and "CS4 32bit & Wacom Intuos 3 - Intermittent Pressure Sensitivity"

The evident solution for Windows 7 is disabling the "Press and Hold" feature on "Pen and Touch" settings, But in Windows 8 disabling this check only makes Photoshop unresponsive to pressure to the extreme that not even a single stroke can be drawn. Only random dots with no direction or pressure sensitivity. This is a big no no.

image_thumb[9].png

My computer is a Motion LE 1700 tablet that works with Wacom Tablet PC Drivers, there's only a single driver released for Windows 8 which is ISD_DualTouch_710-8.

Older Windows 7 drivers for Wacom Tablet PC don't recognize the pen. And default drivers from the Motion Computing website don't work with Photoshop.

An in all, the 8 ISD_DualTouch_710-8 driver works flawlessly with all my apps with the exception of Photoshop, causing the weird intermitent sensitivity behaviour.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2013 Feb 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2013 Feb 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had also problem with wacom intuos3 on ps cs6, win8 64 bit system. Just downloaded an old driver “WacomTablet_6.1.6-7″ from wacom web site. Uninstalled the latest driver and installed the old one, everything works fine now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2013 Feb 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your recommendation, I was able to install the driver “WacomTablet_6.1.6-7″, however it didn't change the same behaviour in Photoshop.

More sugesstions are highly appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got,mine to,work with an old driver. If you lookalike the mouse settings, there are two Wacom settings there. I can't recall which one I disabled, but doing that fixed it for me. I'm not at my computer right now, but if it still doesn't work for,you, I'll send more,information tomorrow evening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please do.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2013 Feb 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. The driver I used was WacomTablet_6.2.0w5

Here are screen grabs of the mouse control panel. When you install the newest Wacom driver (the one released on February the 13th), the Wacom Mouse monitor option isn't there. This is the one you will go into the "Properties" then "Change Settings" option to disable the driver. So in the Wacom Mouse Properties box, choose the "driver" tab, then choose "disable".

wacom mouse.jpg

channge settings.jpg

disable.jpg

This allowed my pen to work properly in CS6 All applications in the Production Suite.

Strangely enough. When I went to open the control panel to show you what to do, the driver had been re-enabled, but the pen now still works. Who knows why, but there you are. I hope it works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2013 Feb 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really wanted your solution to work, it really does a lot of sense however it didn't change the faulty pen pressure behaviour in photoshop.

More suggestion are welcomed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2013 Feb 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that's too bad. I had reached the point where I was going to rebuild in Windows 7 when I tried that solution. What puzzled me was the way that it fixed it, and then reset to the default settings after starup without breaking the pen again. I also saw somewhere when I looked for solutions that someone mentioned deleting the preferences in the Wacom preferences. That actually worked temporarily for me, but the fault returned. Have you tried that?

[ autoquote removed by admin:  please remember to remove quotes when posting to web forums ]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2013 Feb 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, also did reset wacom settings and even more... I realized that your driver doesn't work on this tablet pc.The first time I installed the WacomTablet_6.2.0w5, the old ISD_DualTouch_710-8 driver was still installed (which is a Win8 Wacom Tablet Driver).

Once I removed both drivers and reinstalled your suggested WacomTablet_6.2.0w5 driver, the pen was not recognized, then I uninstalled the driver and reinstalled ISD_DualTouch_710-8.

With this driver (ISD_DualTouch_710-8), looking at the Device Manager: "Wacom Mouse" is gone, there's only Wacom Device, if I disable this device, it will disable the pen entirely.

I'm still looking for anything that changes this wicked pen pressure in Photoshop.

These are the settings that I have right now:

Capture.PNGCapture2.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds totally different to my problem. Is your device a touchscreen device?

I am using a desktop

[ excessive quoting removed by admin ]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup a Motion Computing Tablet PC LE 1700.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2013 Mar 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anybody Else have any other advice? I am seeing the exact same problem that Lonnrot is having. Using a Samsung Series 7 slate with Windows 8.  I have tried multiple drivers and suggestions to no avail. I am a Digital Artist professional working at a studio, and this will force me to go back to Windows 7 until this is resolved.

Update:

I have submitted this problem to Wacom in hopes it is related to the driver.  Their previous driver (Tablet PC - Enhanced Graphics Driver 7.0.9-5) does not have this issue, although it has many other issues in Windows 8, such as a small onscreen keyboard and no palm rejection, etc. I will update this thread when i hear back from Wacom.

Message was edited by: AlchStud

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2013 Mar 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi AlchStud,

Thanks for your input. I will try to install the Tablet PC - Enhanced Graphics Driver 7.0.9-5 driver and see how it behaves with my tablet.

Good luck with Wacom Support, I also contacted them and they weren't very helpful, I quote:

Hi,

You will need to work with the manufacturer of your Tablet PC to troubleshoot any issues you may be encountering. This is support for standaloneWacom tablets, and we do not have information about Tablet PC devices.

Regards,

Travis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2013 Mar 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope Wacom has a solid answer, but through my research on this issue, it is not speciffic to one tablet. It happens on all Wacom Penabled tablets running windows 8 with the most current drivers. I have tried Wacom Digitizer Drivers for Win8 from many different manufacturers, and they are all based on the latetest Wacom Tablet PC drivers. All resulting in the same Behaviour.

Hopefully we will get a solid driver or some type of information on this soon.  If anybody else develops a work around, please continue to post here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2013 Mar 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not Wacom's fault. At least this is how it looks like.

Currently there are two drivers available for win 8: 709 and 710.

709 makes pen act as a mouse. That results in no palm rejection. Because touch and mouse can work at the same time interrupting each over. Doesnt make sense why mouse wouldnt have higher priority than touch but hey its windows.

With 710 pen acts as pen so it has palm rejection but also results in press and hold stuff.

So yeah, microsoft.

Btw 711 is in develpment (http://forum.wacom.eu/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13019).

Anyway Adobe can fix this as well. Take Corel Painter 12 for example. It doesnt have such problem. It even disables press and hold thing. Its really is about one page of code (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms812373.aspx).

So ether Adobe or microsoft. Until then we wait and suffer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2013 Mar 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I'm very happy to report that the tablet PC - Enhanced Graphics Driver 7.0.9-5 does work perfectly with photoshop on my Motion Le1700 Tablet, however some original pen gestures are overwritten and as mentioned before the onscreen keyboard is limited to a simplified version.

From my end the touch palm issue is nonexistent since my tablet only works with a stylus. 

I would love to mark this issue as resolved but it is far from that for many of you. Please Keep this thread active to let know adobe and wacom that there is work to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys,

There's a workaround for the keyboard layout problem.

Go to PC Settings > General > And check "Make standard keyboard layout available". This will enable the classic keyboard layout.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lonrot,

I wanted to point out that this will work great on a Motion LE1700 with the keyboard workaround, because it also lacks capacitive touch input.

On newer tablets i.e. Samsung Series 7 slate, ASUS Ep121 Slate, etc. that have dual digitizers with capacitive touch, with the 7.0.9-5 driver, It disables palm rejection. Which forces you to either disable Touch input, or not rest your hand on the screen.  So yes, it is still quite broken.  But as Anon_A mentioned, it is a problem between Adobe, MS and Wacom.  But i did get a reply from Wacom:

Hello Jordan,

Thank you for entering a bug. We are aware of the issue with Photoshop and are working with Microsoft and Adobe for a resolution. We appreciate your patience while we try to come to a resolution.

Thank you,

--

Sherry Egli-Doster

Wacom Sr SQA Test Tech

1. www.wacom.com

So i will keep posting to this thread as i hear more on the issue.  I have gone back to Windows 7 for the time being due to the need of capacitive touch for my work flow, untill this issue is resolved.

I did want to leave one more thing, for people on Windows 8, that want to use 7.0.9-5 with a dual digitizer input slate. Someone has wrote a program to manually turn on and off capacitive input, you can find the download here

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17137175/TGuard.zip Credit goes to http://butimaru.blogspot.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2013 May 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info, guys...I've been having the same problem with my Cintiq- Worked great with Windows XP.  And then I bought a new computer with Windows 8...Now painting in Photoshop is a horrible pain!

Please keep posting news of the improved drivers here!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2013 Jun 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

this one didn't work for me (Ativ Smart PC Pro 700t)

but it seems like I have found solution. try to switch off "Enable press and hold right-clicking" in: Control Panel > Pen and Touch > Pen Options > [Press and Hold] > Settings...

it looks like this option checked confuses Photoshop. it randomly recognises pen taps as holded mouse button. it works for me at least. I hope it will be working for you as well )))

regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2013 May 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys!

I'm happy to say that new driver 7.1.1-12 is finally out.

Go grab it from Wacom site:

http://www.wacom.com/support/drivers

The problems seems to be solved, testing it right now. Looks like I won't need win 7 in dual boot anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2013 May 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG really!? I'm going to test it as soon as I can. Thanks for sharing anon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines