Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Link to PDF files

Jan 11, 2007 Jan 11, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We added a page to our HTML Help with a set of links to PDF files (our user guides). When the CHM was compiled, we noticed that the size increased dramatically - as if the PDFs were added to the CHM. However, the links open the PDFs from the path specified in the ref. If you open the CHM locally, it cannot locate the PDF.
Does the compiler add the PDFs to the CHM? Is there a better way to add links to external documents outside the CHM?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jan 11, 2007 Jan 11, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi KShortt and welcome to our community

Perhaps a series I concocted will help here.

Click here to begin reading the series

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 12, 2007 Jan 12, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can certainly use the shortcut control, as in Rick's instructions. I give another method here, the difference is that the parser function will open the .pdf file in the help browser window, while the shortcut control will open it in a new window.

Another way is to use the parser function provided by Microsoft for this purpose. I've attached the code you would put in your <HEAD> section. Then call with ONCLICK="parser('yourfile.pdf')"

to address your question, I'm never sure when the compiler adds files to the compiled help. But if you remove the .pdfs from your project folder before compilation, they won't be included. Sometimes the compiler throws in the files if it finds a link to them, even if you intend the link to be external.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2007 Sep 03, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
deleted - wrong thread

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp