• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is Java required?

New Here ,
Feb 24, 2013 Feb 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot download the update because Java is required.  I have disabled and removed Java from all of my computers for obvious security reasons.  I am sure that many Flash Player users have done the same and now are excluded from updating and installing Flash Player.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 24, 2013 Feb 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OliverPSE wrote:

I cannot download the update because Java is required.

Why do you say that; do you receive any message that indicates that?

Java is not required to download or install Flash Player.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2013 Feb 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat:  Thank you for the response.  I am perflexed

1. Yesterday I received a notice that a Flash Player update was available -- probably when I tried to run a Flash video, but I cannot say for sure.  When I clicked "Yes" or whatever, it took me to what appeared to be a genuine Adobe website, but when I attempted a download, it said that Java was required for the download.  That seemed incredible to me, but I tried it several times with the same result.
  2. Today, after receiving your message, I tried to replicate yesterdays appearance by running Flash videos, but I did not get an update notice.
  3. Then, I went to the Adobe website and downloaded and installed the current version, 11.6.602.168 (for Win 7 32) and it worked without any Java needed message.  I am not sure what version was previously installed.
  4. As for yesterday's experience, all I can say is that I smell a rat, but cannot prove anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 25, 2013 Feb 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible that the download site mentioned JavaScript, rather than Java?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2013 Feb 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat:  I was using Firefox, latest version.  As best I recall, the message said Java must be enabled, but maybe it said JavaScript -- I can't say for sure.  I had previously removed all Java add-ons/extensions from my Firefox, and also had uninstalled all Java installations from Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 26, 2013 Feb 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many websites require JavaScript to be enabled to function correctly.

JavaScript is part of the browser, and is in no way related to Java, despite the similarity of the name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2013 Feb 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Pat:  Thank you.  Anyway, the question is moot since I have now downloaded and installed the most recent version of Flash and it seems to be running fine.  So, I believe this completes our discussion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines