Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Script to apply a style to currently selected text

Feb 21, 2013 Feb 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can only find example scripts that work on complete files. What I want, is a script that works on currently selected text.

If I can create a macro that applies a specific paragraph style to all currently selected paragraphs, or a character style to currently selected text, I can put that style under a shortcut key.

That way, "emphasis" or "strong" can be put under ctrl-b, for example.

If there is another way to achieve the same (in RH 9), I would be interested to hear it as well.

Kind regards,

Erwin Timmerman

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 21, 2013 Feb 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope.. Scripts do not have any information about opened files, let alone text selection. A macro is the only way to go.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Feb 25, 2013 Feb 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case, how can I create a macro in RoboHelp that assigns a specific style to a shortcut key?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this maybe a case for a tool like Macro Express. There is nothing in RoboHelp that can help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had a quick look at Macro Express, but it seems that it only records key strokes and mouse clicks etc. This means that it only works if I have the style pod constantly open (which I do), always in the exact same position, with the same filter styles selected, and with the same CSS loaded, positioned at the same location in the scroll bar.

Am I correct in assuming this, or is there a better way to program it?

I am not sure this would be possible all the time. What's more, this script should work across multiple computers with different layouts, and with writers who don't really want to hack to get it working.

With character styles there would be the possibility to automatically switch to HTML view, cut, write <span...>, paste, write </span>, go back to design view.

But paragraph styles? That would be harder to do in HTML view, especially for multiple selected lines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp