• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Backward compatibility of Captivate 2

New Here ,
Jan 12, 2007 Jan 12, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If a demo was created in Captivate 2, can it be opened and edited in Captivate 1?
TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi elissag

The short answer is no, it may not. This is because the developers changed the foundation .CP file structure.

However, I have had a margin of success by opening a project in Captivate 2, then creating a new blank project in Captivate 1 using the same dimensions, then copying from version 2 and pasting in version 1.

I have no idea how well this will work over the long haul, but my testing seemed positive it could work.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if I got the upgrade, I wouldn't be able to open, easily, anything that I created in Captivate1?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

I'm not sure what you are asking here. Initially, you asked if you created something in Captivate 2, could you later open it in version 1. But your second question seems to ask if Captivate 2 can open Captivate 1 content easily. (unless, of course, I'm misunderstanding, which is always a possibility)

Just in case you are asking about opening version 1 content easily in version 2, the answer to THAT one is you definitely can! But when you do, Captivate is kind and asks if you first want to save to a different file name. It does this because you may still wish to use that Captivate 1 content in Captivate 1. So it's giving you the opportunity to move the barrel of the shotgun away from your foot before pulling the trigger.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basically, I'm trying to figure out if it would be a major issue if only one writer upgraded and the rest continued to use Captivate 1, considering that a writer with Captivate 1 could be asked to work on a project that was created in Captivate 1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi elissag

Hmmm, I do understand that management may be reluctant to upgrade all licenses from a cost savings standpoint. Naturally, the best case scenario would be for all to upgrade. And actually, that may be the most cost effective solution if you factor in all the time wasted searching for assorted ways of coaxing two versions to work together and all.

But I do realize your hands may be tied here.

Here are my own thoughts on it. Hopefully others will fill in what I'm incorrect about or missed entirely.

In this situation, you would need to maintain two different sets of content. One in version 1 format and one in version 2 format. Any change to either format will result in having to change the other to ensure they are both the same. This means that if a person with access to only version 1 of Captivate makes a change, they need to interrupt a person that is a version 2 user so they can make the same changes to the version 2 file. And vice-versa.

Keep in mind that the feature set is different between the versions. This can affect your consistency. Perhaps you like using the zoom object in version 2. You are limiting yourself to only version 1 features if you are trying to maintain any form of standards.

The output files are different between version 1 and version 2. Again, you can somewhat maintain some consistency by foregoing any of the new flash based playback controls with version 2 as well as the new skin file. But this does limit your choices to version 1 options only.

I'm sure there are other things I'm missing as well. These are simply the ones that popped into my head to start with.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks for your input!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources