• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CS6 - Font is missing, but its not?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2013 Feb 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I inherited a project from another designer and when I open the file, it says various fonts are missing (I mean, Ariel Black, seriously?). But also fonts I knew I didn't have (Aachen Bold) which I have since downloaded and installed in Font book and are active. They even show up in the list of fonts when I open them in Id.  How do I get them to be recognized? I have closed the project and restarted Id hoping it would recognize it but to luck. PLEASE help! A step by step would be a godsend, I am ready to pull my hair out! Thank you!!

TOPICS
Performance , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you use styles of the fonts which are not included in the installed fonts? Like Bold or Italic from Arial Black?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

all of them are listed in the font style when I look to see them. Is Is Ariel Black different from Ariel Black (TT)...it sure looks the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had once a similar case. It was a matter of the font style name: ID had listed it as "bold italic" and the installed font was "bolditalic" (without space). Little detail but it will give you an error. This is what I do when I have this problem:

1) Type

2) Find Font

3) Click on the font highlighted (the one with the error)

4) Replace with: choose the font family and font style you need

5) Change all

6) Done

And that should do it. You'll have to do it with all the fonts with problem. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will give this a try. Do you happen to know if Ariel Black (TT) is different than regular old Ariel Black? Also when it asks me what I want to replace it with, does it change allll of them that are supposedly missing to that one font, or can I choose the correct one for each supposedly missing one??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In ID's eyes, Ariel Black (TT) and regular Ariel Black are different even if they are the same type.

Regarding your second question: it will replace only the one that you highlight in the Fonts in Document panel. It does one at a time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome. Sometimes issues like this can hold you back for a while. I'm glad it helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 28, 2015 Apr 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Adobe CC and am having same problem (it says that Arial is missing!!!!)   I followed the steps - Arial has an exclamation point next to it, so I replaced it with Arial (which shows as installed, but for some reason the Arial font from the pdf I placed returns an error), click done.  It still returns an error.  I'm at my wits end.  What's the solution?   There's no reason this should be happening - NONE!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 29, 2015 Apr 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't replace a font in placed content....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2017 Oct 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was SO helpful - it was driving me nuts, but sure enough, it was a spelling issue.  Thanks a million for those instructions!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2018 Feb 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much.  This worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked only to underlie test below the Xed boxes.  When I deleted the boxes, the text remained but the letters were all wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2018 Mar 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you same issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2018 Mar 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for your email.

After 2 wonderful years with S/S, I am now moving on to a new career path. Thank you for your custom and support over the years and best wishes moving forward.

Please direct all future emails to studio@sanders-studios.co.uk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Type 1 Postscript, TrueType and OpenType versions of many fonts exist with the same names, but have different naming internally and are not the same font. Most likely you are using newer versions of the fonts and are subtituting OT for TT or T1 fonts in the original file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2015 May 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a similar problem but I can't find an answer anywhere in the forums. I have an InDesign file that says I'm missing fonts but the font is previewing normally except for having the bright pink highlight in Normal view. I'm using the same exact font files as my colleagues using this file (we're all having the same problem) so it's not a TTF vs OTF issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's missing (and probably not displaying properly). What's the font? What's the history of the file? And which OS are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the thing, it is displaying properly except for the pink highlight. Or does InDesign not automatically default to Myriad or something? I'm using OS X and I've tried it in both CS6 and CC. It's several fonts – the document we're editing is basically a font list. The perplexing thing is it's saying some faces are missing and not others – E.G., Charcuterie Cursive is fine, but Charcuterie Contrast is "missing".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2015 May 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IS the display really in Charcuterie with the highlight? Is Find Font saying the font is missing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, the letterforms are definitely Charcuterie, not a default font like Myriad. Unless you mean something else by display? Here is another example (http://snag.gy/AbzXx.jpg‌). That font is Lunchbox Slab and it's displaying properly, it's just highlighted pink and coming up as a missing font. This document was set up using the same exact font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the fonts installed (did I already ask that?)? What does Find Font have to say? Have you tried replacing the missing fonts with themselves? How about exporting to IDML?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2015 May 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, they're installed (you didn't ask yet ) Find Font says they're missing too. Exporting to IDML doesn't seem to help. Every time we open the file we replace them and save it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm baffled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there multiple copies of these fonts on the system? If you searched for them, are only one copy on each computer? Any copies in the documents font folder and the system folder for instance?

Does the problem exist on a new document as well? Are you using a font manager?

I have the same fonts on a Windows system and don't have issues with them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines