Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hyperlinked document will not open after compiling

Feb 27, 2013 Feb 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created hyperlinks to a couple of documents (one Word and one PDF), I have set the Options to "Open in a New Window".  When I do a "view" from within Robohelp the docs open properly but after I have compiled the project the docs will not open... what am I missing??

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please tell us what output you are generating and what you mean by "will not open".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your assistance.

I am generating using WebHelp and when you click on the link in the generated project,  the document does not open (but when you hover over the link, the file location shows in the lower right corner ofthe window).  My default browser is IE9.  I have checked all the setting in the SSL properties to see if I am missing something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you added the document as baggage? If not, you will need to ensure it is copied to the location where it is expected to be found.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Morning Rick,  Thanks for the assistance.  Both files are added as Baggage files.  I thought it might have been an issue with file type so I added a PDF and Word version. 

Bag_files.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try amending the file name to remove the period (e.g. RelNote_FLS_WebHelp_15.doc). Also is the same happening in other browsers? It maybe down to how your browser treats popups.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried to open the project in Google Chrome and the skin displays but none of the topics....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you are using the latest RH version - RH10 - viewing WebHelp locally using Chrome won't work. Have you tried Firefox?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup... still using RH9... corporate is stalling on getting me an upgrade...

Will attempt Firefox... but still must consider rthe system being used by the folks I am producing this for....

Thanks....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The thing to consider here is WHERE your end users will access the help from. Is it from a web server? If so, Mark Of The Web is totally moot and makes zero difference when content is viewed from the server. Its only purpose is for when the HTML content is on the local C drive and you access the files that way.

And turning it off is simply causing the generation process to no longer insert a single line of code in each topic.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's because you're running into the local file Chrome security issue - you must not be using RH10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another thing to note is how exactly you are testing. Are you testing on your local PC immediately after generating? And if you are, are you using the Mark Of The Web option? If so, that option will typically prevent links such as these from working. A better solution for testing would be to avoid enabling Mark Of The Web and configure your browser so that Active Content is allowed.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am producing this project for a large organization that is using a default browser (IE7, with special security settings) so I am hesitant to produce without Mark of the Web (which is how I have been producing it for over a year..)

As you suggested, I turned off Mark of the Web and tested locally and the hyperlinked file does open (after acknowledging the security warning about scripts and ActiveX controls).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp