Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Reader XI Silent Updates Not Installing under Standard Users

New Here ,
Feb 27, 2013 Feb 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and hope someone could assist. I have tried looking for the answer to my question and could not find it so I apologize if it has been asked or been answered several times. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

First off I have applied and received a license to distribute Adobe Flash Player and Reader just to be clear on the legal side of things. Anyway, the issue I am having is with the "Automatically install updates" or silent install feature with Adobe Reader XI not installing under standard or non-admin users. My understanding was that by enabling this option, the auto update feature should run and update even for non-admin users. About half of my machines are running Windows 7 SP1 and the other half Windows XP SP3. If an update is ready to install it will automatically install right away when an admin user logins in but not a standard user.

Let me provide some more info on how I distributed Adobe Reader XI if this helps any. I first used the Adobe Customization Wizard XI to modify the installer to: Suppress the EULA, Remove all versions of Reader, Run Installation silently, and to Suppress reboot. I then deployed the install via SCCM 2007 using the following command line: msiexec.exe /qn /i "AcroRead.msi" TRANSFORMS="AcroRead.mst". I have made a couple of registry changes via Group Policy to enable bUpdater and set iCheck to 3 (auto install updates).

I hope this provides enough info on my issue and any help will be really, really appreciated.

Thank you.

TOPICS
Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2013 Feb 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the world of managed installations. If you already have the sccm side set up correctly, just build a new AIP and sccm package when the updates come out then push it down to the clients. I disable all local updates in the customization wizard since they could saturate the network connection when an update is available and prefer to manage updates locally using SCCM. I have not run into the problem you describe since we don't use the local update client.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2013 Mar 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a similar problem.  Previously we have created a new deployment package for LUP every time adobe releases an update for Reader, but this is somewhat time consuming to keep up with the most current version...TheITGuy13, can you explain in further detail what you did with the Adobe Customization Wizard XI tool, I haven;'t used it before

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 11, 2013 Mar 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

View the Wizard doc for Win here: http://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/.

It simplifies most common configuration tasks.

10.x and later installers are cumulative so intermediate security patches never need be applied except for the last one (if any). Updates average about 4 per year.

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines