• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Disc cashe folder warning! why am i getting this?

Feb 27, 2013 Feb 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When i open up after effects i get this warning "Your disk cache folder is on a drive that does not have enough available space to safely store the full amount secified in your preferences. please make more space available or go to media & disk cache preferences to change the folder or maximum disk cache size"  I think this is slowing up my whole suite. I clear my disc cache folder all the time and i still get this warning. How can i fix this? Also this is a 2 part question if it can be answered i think it may have to do with the first question. When i try to add a cross dissolve in premiere pro i get this "insufficient media. this transition will contain repeated frames" Does anyone know why im getting this? and what i can do to fix it.

thanx, any help is much appeciated

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, unless you've got a separate drive that's very fast and that has a lot of free space I'd turn off disk cache. You're getting the warning because you don't have enough free space for your settings. You change them in the AE preferences settings.

Insufficient media means that the first or last frame of your clip happens before the transition is complete. The solution is to give yourself more room by shifting the transition or by shortening it.

Neither of these is a bug. They are both operator error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so leaving it on or off will not effect anything is that what your saying?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Simply ignore that rubbish warning.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2013 Jun 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a 120 gb SSD dedicated to cache. Getting the same warning. (My Media & Disk Cache preference is set to 100 gb).

Should i ignore it too? Is it some kind of bug?

I mean, does it actually cause that unsafe storage issue mentioned in the warning or slow me down?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 02, 2013 Jun 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't hurt to empty the disk cache when it is full. Check to see if that drive is full. If it is empty it. The disk cache is there to speed up your performance - it acts like "virtual ram" - it's allows for the "cache work area in background" feature of CS6. They are only temp files from previews you used while working and it's very easy to fill up 100GB. Empty it when it is full. You can turn off the warning though. There is a check box I believe in the lower left corner to that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 03, 2013 Jun 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That warning appears if you have the disk cache size set to greater than  80% of the available space on the drive. To make the warning go away,  set the disk cache size to 80% or less of the free space on your drive.

Even with that warning appearing, nothing is going to be slowed down; it's just telling you that there isn't enough room to use the amount of disk space that you have specified for the cache.

Engin, this is the same answer that you got here:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/1037779#1037806

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2013 Jun 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, i read both of your answers, Todd. Thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2020 Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This entire thread was useful. Thank you all, I love you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2018 Oct 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.Go to edit  drop down  to  preference  then change  the following.

*in media  and disk  cache  change  driver  location example from disk drive c to d.

*Also go to memory select the check  box which says reduce cache size  when  system  is low on memory. ..

****that  all******

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 29, 2019 Apr 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get these warning even though I have my disk cache set to 46GB and the amount of free space I have on the drive is 140GB. Why am I getting this warning?

I'm on a mac, though, and the cache drive is APFS. Could that be a factor?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 09, 2020 Feb 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue, all of a sudden, yesterday, all was good, and since this morning suddenly it started. I have 120gb disk cache set to the internal 1TB SSD, while 600 GB are empty on this drive I still get this warning. Could it be something with permissions that screwed up? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the disk cache settings in the Preferences Panel. You will find it in the Media and Disk Cache section. It may be set too low for the kind of comps you usually work on and you may just need to purge the files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It just got worse, I can't launch Premiere any more all of a sudden, it gives me a warning about that it can't find any graphic drivers (in German). 

After Effects stopped with the Disk Cache Warning, though now it stopped displaying ANYTHING in the viewer, it stays just grey. When I try to switch to software rendering from Metal Engine, I find the box in the comp settings greyed out and already set to software only with no option to change it! I wanted to re-install after effects to find that the creative cloud app things, after effects is not even installed anymore! 

I reinstalled it with no effect. Still the same behavior.

Right now, the CC app itself is not launching anymore. Just keeps asking me to restart it. I created a new user account, in which the CC app launches, but After Effects has the same problem, it just doesnt display anything and won't let me choose metal. 

WTF is going on? I need to finish a project today and my time is running out, It just happened completely out of the blue this morning. I'm running the latest version of Catalina on a brand new Mac Pro that was perfectly fine for the last month. No Software updates, nothing... Any ideas? 

When I tried to restore my user library folder as an attempt to fix things, Time Machine claims that the root directory can't be found anymore and needs to be restored. It is as if the Adobe apps somehow fu**ed up permissions on my main HD or something else did and now something weird is going on with GPU drivers and reading permissions (which is what I suspect caused the Disk Cache error in the first place...) HELP!

Strangely enough, every other app works fine, only Adobe is affected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I'm having the same problem. I'm not sure if it's an Adobe or Mac problem, but computer has plenty of disk space, but After Effects claims there's not enough. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, so looking at Disk Utility, the amount I have free doesn't correspond to what I have free in the Finder. I'm assuming this is the cause of the problem. Disk Utility says I have 240 gigs purgeable, although I don't know what that means.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I was wondering if you ever found a sollution for this. I have the exact same problem and it seems my whole system is slowing down because of this..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines