• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Switching Templates? Responsive designs?

Feb 28, 2013 Feb 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,  brand new here.  Just a quick couple of questions before I get myself into trouble:  

I normally design in DW,  but am looking to get a site started for a client and thought I would put up a temporary design using one of the existing templates.

My question is: if I do that, is it easy/possible to change template designs on the go later, or will that mangle things?

Also, are all the existing default templates responsive?

TOPICS
Newbie Corner

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Yes the templates are responsive as we have settings to also make template mobile device friendly.

Site settings -> mobile support

Please note you cannot swap our templates with another template provided in the site builder.  However you can always replace a given template with any custom template you require at anytime. 

Kind regards,

-Sidney

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. Assuming that we create our own template, which is the design layout, it is as simple as a WordPress thing where you choose the new template to replace the old?

And what about editing the CSS of the site builder templates... does that interfere with either a new import design or allow you to classify it as your own design and then, if you needed to, switch to another site builder template?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Slightly different from WP.  You would upload the new template (FTP) or add within the admin + upload any CSS & JS files associated to the template. 

More details: http://kb.worldsecuresystems.com/kb/create-site-design.html

Here's a great training video on how templates works within BC.

- http://bcgurus.com/tutorial/how-to-build-business-catalyst-site-templates

Kind regards,

-Sidney

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Hi Sidney.  Thanks for ths link. But I must say, OMG,   Chad is all over the map with the Setting up Dreamweaver section. I had trouble following him because  of the way he jumped back and forth between local and remote and didn't explain modules vs forms... Just kind of haphazard.  Not the way I teach or learn.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 24, 2013 Apr 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sidney,   I found this "responsive" option to not really be responsive. I.e., the menus do not become responsive with the default templates provided. 

So for a followup question.   You cannot swap templates after the site has been created in BC for another BC template, but I have a couple of templates purchased from bc-gurus, which are now in my partner center. 

1. Is is possible to download those templates and upload them to replace or add to my BC templated site?
  2. or is it possible to design/use/upload a completely different set of templates for the phone folder if I choose to use a separate folder for mobile pages?

I found that the default menu system does NOT work responsively in the template we started with and it has caused us a lot of problems:

http://joden.businesscatalyst.com

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 24, 2013 Apr 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

Both options should be viable in this case.  If still not getting this work I would present your examples in a case directly to us via support so we can assist you further. 

Kind regards,

-Sidney

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 26, 2013 Apr 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Trying to get up to speed, I'm on this thread because I'm wondering about the responsive design templates too.
While finding templates to use, I haven't found them responsive.

Back to reviewing BC default responsive design templates options. If someone has a link to speed up the process
I'd appreciate it. I have access to all Adobe CS6 programs. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines