• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I can't download library eBooks to Digital Editions. Please help.

New Here ,
Feb 25, 2013 Feb 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've downloaded and installed the latest version of Adobe Digital Editions (straight from the Adobe website). I install the program successfully and have an Adobe ID established (which I've authorized my computer with). I go to my library's eBook catalogue and check out items to my account. When I try to download the files (.acsm), I'm prompted to close Digital Editions if I have it open (which never happened before), and if the program is closed, it will not open the file when I try to download it, but rather I get an error message saying I need to 'repair' Digital Editions (which starts a re-installation process). I've uninstalled the program, deleted the 'My Digital Editions' folder in My Documents, re-installed the program, but still get this error. Trying to install an older version of ADE will not work, as I'm told I have to use the newest edition. I'm using Windows 7, and I've already made sure to set up my file associations with .acsm files.

Can anyone help me with this? I've spoken with library employees who have told me that they can't replicate this issue on their computers and I've been unable to find anyone with this issue when I look at online forums. Any help would be much appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Feb 25, 2013 Feb 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to install an older version of ADE will not work, as I'm told I have to use the newest edition.

Where were you told you needed the newest edition?

Have you tried using an older one?

Have you got an eReader device plugged in while you try this?

I found that with the Sony PRS-350 plugged in, it stopped quite a few features of ADE2.0 working correctly, especially with library books.

That was even without trying to copy anything to the Sony; just trying to read the book on the PC.

If I unplugged the Sony and I could read the books fine on the PC.

Sounds crazy I know, but true.  Others have seen similar with other eReaders.

In my case, installing the older v1.7.2 solved all the issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2013 Feb 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try and download a library eBook, I'm told to upgrade to the latest version if I'm not running it. I've tried using v1.7.2 (as that's what I used before the upgrade), but it's when I'm attempting to download the eBook that I get that error message.

It doesn't matter if I have an eReader (Kobo Glo) plugged in or not, the same situation applies both ways. ADE will recognize my Kobo, but will not transfer anything to it. In any case, I can't even get books to download TO ADE in the first place, even without an eReader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Feb 28, 2013 Feb 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't think of anything else I am afraid, so I'm going to try a couple of slightly silly/hopeful suggestions ....

Is the error message about needing to upgrade really an error message, or just a warning that an upgrade is available?

Sometimes you can carry on by ignoring such messages; either dismissing them or just pushing them to one side.

What machine/OS are you on?

Is it definitely v1.7.2 you are using as the earlier version, not just some other earlier version?

I seem to remember someone else with similar issues that turned out to be because they were using an even earlier version.

That person was on a Mac; I don't know if that was a releavant part of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2013 Mar 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is an error message, and not something I can bypass, unfortunately.

I'm on a PC, using Windows 7.

It is definitely v1.7.2 that I'm trying to use as the earlier version, I'm getting the link directly from Adobe's site.

Thanks for all your help. I'll keep trying with Adobe technical support...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2013 Feb 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump.

Anyone have any info? It's near impossible to get a hold of Adobe support. I was on hold for over 2 hours the other day and still couldn't get through!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines