• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

access to online help – settings somewhere?

Advisor ,
Feb 28, 2013 Feb 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm. Just tried to check something in the F1 online help, and hit the snag shown in the screenshot: "Connect to the Internet and try the page again." With an always-on connection here at the office, I'm naturally inclined to suspect the corporate firewall or other gatekeepers, but what do I need to tell them so they can decide not to give me access?

N

noWeb.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you'd be best placed asking your IT peeps to add all Adobe domains to their list of trusted sites. In the meantime try accessing the help via the link below:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FrameMaker/9.0/Using/index.html - substituting "9.0" for your FM version

There is also a page full of other product documentation:

http://www.adobe.com/support/documentation/en/framemaker/

However your image displays the Adobe AIR application that is by default used to access help for any Adobe products. I'm not sure if this accesses the same URLs as those covered above. Do you have any other Adobe products installed? If you have you can select the help via the drop down next to the search field. If all products are unavailable it suggests a problem at your end with the AIR application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh dear … the chance of any changes to corporate settings is vanishingly small  Thanks for the link, though, which goes straight into my bookmarks. I'll take a look at the Air question, since (reluctantly or not) IT have so far acknowledged the existence of Air and even installed an update when I asked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2013 Mar 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also set your prefs to launch the browser instead of the AIR Help help system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 03, 2013 Mar 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff – whereabouts do I do that? I've looked under the four Preferences options but not spotted anything that seems likely to control the help display mechanism.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2013 Mar 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forget - I went to check my FM10 help to see if I could figure out which one it was, but now mine's just launching in a browser now. Somewhere on the forums is a post from an Adobe staff person describing how to switch back from browser to locally-installed AIR Help, but I haven't found it yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IIRC, with FM10 all you get is the on-line "LiveDocs" or a PDF that you can download (but have to manually open). The AirHelp was deprecated with FM10 and the CHM file was deprecated with FM9. The Help menu item calls an Fcode operation (an unmodifiable black-box) to trigger the help mechanism.

There is no configuration maker.ini for help files, except a dead pointer to the HelpDir location for the chm file (no longer used).

A better alternative is to install Scott Prentice's MyHelp plug-in (http://leximation.com/tools/info/myhelp.php ) that allows you install your own PDFs, Chm files, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Arnis – that’s what I suspected, but the OP seems to be on RH9 (at least from the screen shot); that’s why I was talking about the prefs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OP is on FM 10 unstructured ;-}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 05, 2013 Mar 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"Compare and contrast …" as exam questions used to say ;-}

Clicking on Help > Help topics from FM10 opens the help viewer with the unhelpful message. On the selfsame PC, clicking on Help > Illustrator Help opens the help viewer with content. To confuse at least my understanding farther, I can search online Community help in either instance of the viewer. I'll explore the "Download local content" options I've just discovered and see whether this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines