• EspaƱol
      • FranƧais
      • PortuguĆŖs
  • ę—„ęœ¬čŖžć‚³ćƒŸćƒ„ćƒ‹ćƒ†ć‚£
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Relative addressing in WebHelp (9 or 10)

Participant ,
Mar 05, 2013 Mar 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an area on our website that is a repository of a number of pdf files. I would like to be able  to open these files from links within separate WebHelp projects.

I can do this by using an absolute reference to the location of the files from within the projects but would prefer to use relative addressing

A simplified structure is

www.mysite.com/pdf for the repository of the pdf files

and

www.mysite.com/project for the location of a project file.

If I use a link in the project containing an absolute reference of the form www.mysite.com/pdf/file.pdf that will work properly

If I attempt to specify the link as ../pdf/file.pdf, it will not work and ends up as www.mysite.com/project/pdf/file.pdf.

Am I using the wrong syntax, or is this just not supported?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 05, 2013 Mar 05, 2013

Hi David

Earlier you said that if you used ../pdf/file.pdf it failed and ended up as www.mysite.com/project/pdf/file.pdf.

Have you tried using ../../pdf/file.pdf? Given your situation and what you are seeing, that's what I would try.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RoboHelp HTML or RoboHelp for Word?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WebHelp...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes but are you using RoboHelp for Word to produce the webhelp or have you now moved to RoboHelp HTML?

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well the project started life in RH for Word, but is now handled under RoboHelp HTML so the question relates to the HTML (WebHelp) project

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All that matters is where it is now.

It should be as simple as selecting the text for the link and then clicking the hyperlink icon. There enter the relative path as it will be from where the help is published.

Rh will whinge that the link is external. Just OK that.

If that is not working, please set out the exact steps you are following to create the link.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is the relative path. I can't find a syntax that works.

I select the text, insert hyperlink, link to: web address. Then at that point the web address I enter seems to work only as an absolute address - www.mysite.com/pdf/file.pdf in my example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David

Earlier you said that if you used ../pdf/file.pdf it failed and ended up as www.mysite.com/project/pdf/file.pdf.

Have you tried using ../../pdf/file.pdf? Given your situation and what you are seeing, that's what I would try.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yep - that was the syntax I was looking for. As Peter said, RH fussed a little but it worked

Thanks Rick and Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp