Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Robo v9 Show/Hide without Twisties - One button no longer working

Mar 05, 2013 Mar 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there, as stated I am using Robo v9 with Show/Hide without Twisties (One button) with javascipts.  We have most of our images using DHTML drop-downs and when folks click on "Show All Images" on the page, the GIF changes to "Hide All Images" and all drop-downs (our images) and expanding text are diaplayed.

It had been working all the time, but now it only works when I right click the topic in the TOC and choose "Edit Topic", then while in the Edit Window (Display view), when I do a View (Ctrl-W) and it displays the page within RoboHelp..I can click the "Show All Images" and it works like it always had.  BUT, if that page is not in the Edit Window, and I right click "Preview Topic", the click "Show All Images" (or on the DHTML dropdown itself) it will NOT show the images, *but the GIF image does properly toggle to "Hide All Images" (and if I do again, then it properly toggles to the "Show All Images" GIF, if I do it again), but now NO images are getting displayed for some reason.  It also NEVER works properly when I publish to our website (even when clicking the DHTML dropdown itself), but the GIF images toggle properly.

If I right click and choose "Preview Topic" and click "View With" and use Internet Explorer 8 it still never works anymore, unless the topic is in the Edit Window (Display View), so I know the issue is not on the server.  It stops working after I do a generate and run on my pc.  Also when I view it IE8 within Robo (and Allow the Blocked Content to run the scripts), many instances of the same error is shown as:

--

Line: 2646
Char: 3
Code: 0
URI: file:///D:/Users/_RBH9_TPO-Generate/v9-testing/ehlpdhtm.js

--

...but I *do* have access to the folder system, but in checking the coding of the ehlpdhtm.js, that area show, where I believe line 2646, character 3 starts at the "values = getAttribute(element, prop );" line below...but maybe something does not exist:

==

//End HTML code invoked function

function InitEffect( element, prop )
{
var values = null;
if( getAttribute(element,prop)) 
  values = getAttribute(element, prop );
else if( getAttribute( element, "currentStyle" )  && element.currentStyle.getAttribute)
  values = element.currentStyle.getAttribute( prop );
else  if (element.style.getAttribute)
  values = element.style.getAttribute( prop );

if( !values )
  return;

var functions = new Array();

==

I have a much older backup when restored, it all works properly again in all cases, but I have done so much work since then that I think would need to be manually redone.  I have played with keeping those some javascipts alone (in case I changed something) and updated the rest of the data files I had added, deleted the .CPD file, but it somehow stops working again, probably with some updated file.  I am not sure what specific files could be causing the negative impact that is preventing it from working.  Maybe if I knew what files could impact, I couldrestore those from my old backup.  The newer backups when restored do not work properly, so there was a point in time where something changed and is causing this.

All prior versions of RoboHelp (v7 and v8) have always worked and still do.  I am using v9.0.1.262, as the latest version has not yet been allowed on our pcs (per security), but since my earlier backup works, I thought it may not be the issue, but wanted to tell you anyway.  ;->

Any ideas on how I should proceed?  What files may have impact to cause it not to work anymore?  The showhide.js is the only .js to show up as a baggage file.  Also, the DHTML line does exits in each html page's code, as we are still using Robo v7 as the production software and the Show/Hide always works, and I copy them into the respective Robo v9 folders (and if new, then I copy them, then import them), otherwise the newer v7 updated pages are copied over the older v9 html files while RoboHelp is closed.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Which version of the script are you using? See grainge.org/pages/authoring/twisty/twisty.htm

There are different versions so it's hard to say what is happening without knowing the version you are using.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe it is the Toolbar Single Show / Hide Button, as listed in the thread's Subject line.  It is not very large.  I hope it is OK to paste here.  Thanks for your reply!

Message was edited by Peter Grainge to remove the script, not needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

For good order: this is the Twisty 1 method as outlined on http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/twisty/twisty.htm.

Before resorting to more rigorous measures: When you take the twisty script from your old backup and place that in your current version (make a backup first!), does it work then? If not, there may be something else at play here.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 06, 2013 Mar 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks William, but no it does not work like it should.  Like I listed above, if I right click the topic in the TOC and choose "Edit Topic", then while it is in the Edit Window (Display view), then do a View (Ctrl-W) and it WILL display the page within RoboHelp properly when I can click the "Show All Images".  BUT if I close that page and it is no longer in the Edit Window (Display view), and I right click "Preview Topic", then click "Show All Images" (or on the DHTML dropdown itself) it will NOT show the images, *but the GIF's button image does properly toggle to "Hide All Images" (and if I do again, then it properly toggles to the "Show All Images" GIF, if I do it again), but now NO images are getting displayed for some reason.

Also, to provide more info, I replaced the showhide.js, eHlpDhtm.js, and toggle.js from my previous "working" backup, but to no avail.  I also noticed something a bit odd, as a new file BsscDhtm.js is present.  I am really not sure where this came from, as it was NOT in the prior Robo v9 backup.  It is dated 02/27/13, but looks to be Robo generated, but as stated it was not in the previous backups.

I am really not sure why the "Show All Images" / "Hide All Images" functionality now is only working when the page is in the Edit Window (Display view) and then do a View (Ctrl-W) or right click then "Preview Topic".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With scripts it is sometimes the case that they do not work in all views. As long as you can see it working somehow when working on a topic and as long as the help generated works in the supported browsers, you may have to accept that.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank-you Peter for your reply, but the issue is that is does NOT work anymore when I publish.  All the DHTML drop downs no longer function and are basically now rendered useless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 08, 2013 Mar 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may have figured out what to fix to get v9 back to working on the Show/Hide button, but not the "why?" .

It looks to all be dealing with the Robo automatic html coding of where to locate the .js file(s)...here is a quick overview of this issue and what I did.  When I view the non-working pages within Internet Explorer 8 within Robo (and Allow the Blocked Content to run the scripts), I saw many instances of the same error is shown as this in the log, which implied since I *do* have access rights, maybe the file was just not being found.

--

Line: 2646
Char: 3
Code: 0
URI: file:///D:/Users/_RBH9_TPO-Generate/v9-testing/ehlpdhtm.js
--

OK, here are my findings.  EXAMPLE #1 and EXAMPLE #2 below are excerpts of the same file.  EXAMPLE #1 is from Robo v7 and is copied to the v9 folder after it was updated so our soon to be "production" webhelp will be from Robo v9 (instead of making the same manual updates in Robo v9 as in Robo v7, I copy the updated the .html file to the Robo v9 file system).  Note the direction of the directory slashes of the java scripts listed below, as they are all DOS type slashes (back slashes), EXCEPT for ehlpdhtm.js as it is the ONLY one using UNIX (forward) slashes.

EXAMPLE #1 (from Robo v7)

==

<link rel="StyleSheet" href="..\..\sty-std-topic.css">

<script type="text/javascript" language=JavaScript x-save-method=compute-relative

src="..\..\showhide.js"></script>

</head>

<body>

<robohelp><script type="text/javascript" language=JavaScript1.2 src="../../ehlpdhtm.js"

x-save-method=compute-relative></script>

<script type="text/javascript" language=JavaScript1.2>

<!--

if( typeof( InitEffects ) != 'function' ) InitEffects = new Function();if( typeof( InitTrigger ) != 'function' ) InitTrigger = new Function();if( typeof( FilePopupInit ) != 'function' ) FilePopupInit = new Function();if( typeof( TextPopupInit ) != 'function' ) TextPopupInit = new Function();

//-->

</script>

==

EXAMPLE #2(from Robo v9)

This is from the restored backup of the Robo v9 files that always work when I restore them, and note they are ALL UNIX (forward) slashes.  These backup files were generated from Importing/Upgrading a copy of the Robo v7 files into Robo v9.

++

<title>[Endpoint Protection] Symantec Overview</title>

<link rel="StyleSheet" href="../../sty-std-topic.css" type="text/css" />

<script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript" src="../../showhide.js">

</script>

</head>

<body>

<?rh-script_start ?><script src="../../ehlpdhtm.js" type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript1.2">

</script><?rh-script_end ?>

++

Additional info: The following is from another file from the Robo v9 backup files that always WORK and once again they are ALL UNIX (forward) slashes

~~

<link rel="StyleSheet" href="../../sty-std-topic.css" type="text/css" />

<script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript" src="../../showhide.js">

</script>

</head>

<body>

<?rh-script_start ?><script src="../../ehlpdhtm.js" type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript1.2">

</script><?rh-script_end ?>

~~

BUT since all .js files are referenced in EXAMPLE #1 have DOS slashes (back slashes), EXCEPT for the ehlpdhtm.js, I decided to change the line in ehlpdhtm.js FROM src="../../ehlpdhtm.js" TO src="..\..\ehlpdhtm.js" and IT (this one page) BEGAN WORKING AGAIN after I published.  So having all DOS back slashes DOES work in Robo v9!!!!  BUT it appears that Robo v9 only generates new pages using UNIX (forward) slashes in ALL coding.  I've read about issues like this occurring with the FireFox browser, but we only use IE8, and have not read anything like this related to IE8 issues. 

So if all UNIX forward slashes and all DOS back slashes can work in Robo v9 in finding and using ehlpdhtm.js, (the Show/Hide buttons function properly) why is this problem existing in Robo v9 when there are mixed "slashes" (using forward and backward)?  ...and the mixed slashes ALWAYS works in Robo v7!  They do not have to all be in the same direction in Robo v7 as it appears to have to be in the newer/more advanced Robo v9.  Why does it matter that all slashes need to be all the same direction, if Robo v9 CAN actually read and figure out the DOS back slashes (formatted by Robo v7 creation) and actually generates UNIX forward slashes for the .js files in new Robo v9 output within the .html?

More importantly will I have to always do a Global search and replace in Robo v9 to change the direction of the "back slashes" when I copy updated Robo v7 .html files into the Robo v9 folders (instead of manually reworking each change), while in transition from v7 to v9?

Thanks in advance any information, recommendations, and feedback as your time is greatly appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2013 Mar 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rh8 changed from HTML to XHTML which is stricter so things that were wrong in RH7 but worked would no longer work once upgraded to 8 or above. How they got jumbled in the first place is anyone's guess.

Running Tools > Update DHTML might help.

You talk about copying Rh7 files into the project. I hope you mean importing. That should clean things up.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter, interesting!  I have tried "Update DHTML", but Robo locks up each time and I end up having to restore.

Also, I only copy existing project html files I update from v7 into the v9 folders, since they cannot be imported since they "already exist" there (that's the message I get when I've tried).  ...and yes, I always Import "new" html project files after I copy them from v7 to v9, so they get pulled into the v9 version of the project.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Egh? "Cannot be imported because they already exist." I'm not understanding why you would import/copy from Rh7 when the file is in Rh9.

I'm wondering if you are importing output files as that would account for slashes being incorrect.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Peter for your time/reply once again.  Our production webhelp is created by Robo7.  I am maintaining/updating a parallel Robo9 folder system that initially imported the v7 (with some issues, but the DHTML DID work initiallly), as we hope to move to v9 then eventually v10.  As I make continual changes to the v7 production database (Robo created .htm files), I copy the existing/updated v7 .htm files to the respective v9 folders, since I always get this as an example when I try to import the new changes.  I stopped "importing" the existing pages and only Import the NEW to v9 pages (copy from respective new v7 pages to the v9 pages).

==

The file "_findit_v9\FindIT\sw-outlook\outlook10_archiving_faqs.htm" already exists in the project.
==

Are you saying that I should always IMPORT any updated pages that I update and then copy from v7 to the v9, as they WILL actually truly "import" and benefit the v9 by changing the slashes to the proper way?  I trusted the message as my import actions as being extraneous and useless, especially since the DHTML was rendered useless...seemingly to the slashes being reversed.  How does one prepare and maintain parallel versions/worlds of Robo, in anticpation of being migrated to a higher version and NOT have to do the double/same manual changes in both worlds if you cannot copy the same simple updated production version 7 (say) to the v9 folders?

I copy the existing updated files from the same v7 structure to the respective v9 folders, so I do not have to *manually* REDO the same changes within Robo9 (as I did within Robo7), as they can be extensive.  The only true "import" I do is for new files and associated graphics that get pulled in when I do an Import (which is always successful).

The files I copy are the changed .htm files and associated picture file for our DHTML dropdowns that stopped working.

I do apologize if I am missing something major (and thanks for your patience!).  Thanks in advance for your feedback, as it is ALWAYS appreciated!!!  ;->

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp