• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Linking from mobile site to main desktop site?

Explorer ,
Feb 28, 2013 Feb 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to be able to have a link from my mobile (phone) site to my desktop site but how do you get a desktop site to open on a mobile without it opening the mobile version of the site? I know this is probably quite simple but i can't figure it out. thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

If you would like to open a desktop version of the site always and would not like users to be redirected to a mobile version ever, simply remove the Phone layout from your Muse project.

Or if you would like to have a Phone layout and you're hosting your site on Business Catalyst, you can have a link to "Desktop View" on Phone Master by creating a link to /index.html?visitorDeviceClass=desktop where the URL query string parameter, if set (e.g. ?visitorDeviceClass=desktop) will also set a cookie wi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you would like to open a desktop version of the site always and would not like users to be redirected to a mobile version ever, simply remove the Phone layout from your Muse project.

Or if you would like to have a Phone layout and you're hosting your site on Business Catalyst, you can have a link to "Desktop View" on Phone Master by creating a link to /index.html?visitorDeviceClass=desktop where the URL query string parameter, if set (e.g. ?visitorDeviceClass=desktop) will also set a cookie with the specified value so the user always stays there. Then a link to /index.html?visitorDeviceClass=auto (that you can place in Desktop Master) will clear the cookie and enable device auto-detection again.

Thanks,

Vinayak

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh that makes perfect sense. I was pasting in the actual link to the home page (desktop) rather than linking it to the page through muse. I knew it was a simple answer. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2013 Mar 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vinayak,

is this the same action if I have not hosted the site in Business Catalyst?

I found this BC feature interesting but no other hosting service set a simple function like this up.

So I had to use javascript in my desktop view to redirect to a mobile page, and now it's not possible to go to the desktop view from mobile.

Thanks

-Paco

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 05, 2013 Mar 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paco, for non-BC sites exported as HTML or Uploaded to FTP Host with Mobile/Tablet layouts, Muse uses JavaScript for device detection and embeds cookies for locking the device to a layout. You can simply place a link to "[Desktop View]" on your Mobile Master and link it to "Home [Desktop]" through the Hyperlinks option in the Control bar. Doing so would append ?devicelock=desktop to the hyperlink. Similarly, you can place a link to "Home [Phone]" (?devicelock=phone) on a Desktop Master to get the user back to the Phone layout.

Thanks,

Vinayak

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2013 Mar 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vinayak,

It isn't working.

Link to desktop version in mobile don't reach the goal: it always turns to mobile version.

I don't know if my javascript is always blocking the path to desktop view from a mobile.

My javascript is:

<script type="text/javascript">// <![CDATA[
    var mobile = (/iphone|ipod|android|nexus|blackberry|mini|windows\sce|palm/i.test(navigator.userAgent.toLowerCase()));
    if (mobile) {
        document.location = "http://"mysite"/phone/";
    }
// ]]></script>

Get a look on my site.

What javascript are you using to do this?

Thanks

-Paco

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Muse uses its own JS and algorithm for device detection and re-directing. So you don't have to edit the files or embed your own code for the purpose.

If you look at your site's source, you would find a reference to museredirect.js and a JS snippet underneath that does the job.

However, I have checked your website on an iPhone and it does appear that your custom code is interfering with the process causing it to load the desktop version at first then redirecting to /phone/. So you might want to remove the extra code in order to isolate the issue.

Thanks,

Vinayak

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your patience Vinayak,

but first I tried to remove the manually added javascript code and, oops, my android device came directly in the desktop view.

So I'll go on this...

-Paco

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your Android device launched the desktop view directly, this probably means that you must have visited the desktop view link <http://pacotrujillo.com/?devicelock=desktop> placed at the footer of your Mobile Master from your device at least once that caused the browser to lock the view. You simply need to visit the Mobile View link <http://pacotrujillo.com/?devicelock=phone> placed on your Desktop Master (or clear cookies) in order to get back to the Phone layout (and lock the view).

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Vinayak

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, museredirect.js does its job.

But you have to click at mobile view link to overwrite that cookie and get the initial mobile view back.

I think it's not a good user experience: mobile view from a mobile should be always the main choice, no matters if you visited the desktop view previously.

Hmmm, I don't like this cookie behaviour, I'd prefer to keep the desktop link from a mobile like an exception, not a manual switch on/off.

I'm sure it can be set by code. But then we're coding, not Museing!

Thanks again

-Paco

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The cookie is a session based cookie! So if you exit the browser on your mobile device for eg. by double tapping the Home button on an iOS device and quitting Safari then re-launch it; you would find that the "devicelock" cookie is deleted and hence auto-detection mechanism would trigger again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But we users mostly keep our phone/tablet session browsers open... we don't care about it if there's no out-of-memory delays.

We must deal with this lack.

-Paco

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2013 Mar 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vinayak..

I am hosting my site on a non-BC server. I am not clear what the link I need to put in the hyperlink box in the control strip. just " Home[Desktop] " does not seem to work. Do I need to add ?devicelock=desktop to the link? If so how?

TNX...

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding a Hyperlink to Home [Desktop] in Phone Master would link to /index.html?devicelock=desktop, so you need not add it manually. If it isn't working, please make sure you upload All Files to your server (and not just modified). If it still doesn't help, the URL to your site would be helpful in identifying the problem.

Thanks,

Vinayak

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uploaded all files, still does not work.

The link I need to enter is just Home[Desktop]...no spaces, capitalization does not matter, right?

Site is at hort4.businesscatalyst.com

Thanks for being so prompt!

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears you are "typing" in Home [Desktop]. You need to select "Home" from the Hyperlinks dropdown in the list instead that would output Home [Desktop] and would create the link accordingly.

http://screencasteu.worldsecuresystems.com/vinayak/2013-03-14_1835.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works!

I also uploaded all the files again. Maybe that helped. But you were right....I was typing in the URL, not using the dropdpwn menu.

Thanks...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 23, 2016 Aug 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the solution it is very simply Muse inserts a lock when you set up a link between say a desktop and a phone version when each should have its own link

devicelock=dekstop on a phone page or devicelock=tablet on a desktop page. Muse treats these by adding devicelock so that your browser does not try to open  for a tablet when the code says you want desktop

To eliminate the problem eliminate links crossing device types. do not put a link to a tablet page on a desktop page. or a link to desktop page on a phone page

Once you figure that out, you solve the problem

Kirby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 02, 2017 Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still...the issue will be that most people send the browser link in the URL address bar not the link on the page. They certainly could but that isn't the same as "send link"...not to mention you should have a responsive site these days for better search results and easier caching for search engines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem  - Can pages be deleted vis in-browser editing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can only unlink them and change the buttons/menu items link as well.

Kind Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you ,Uwe. Do you know if a muse site can be downloaded to a new machine and tweaked - much like one can in Dreamweaver?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, unfortunately this is not possible. You can download the html and "work" with it in a code editor like Dreamweaver or else but some people mentioned several times, that the code from muse is not the finest one, so I don`t know, if that helps.

Kind Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thank, Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines