Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Insert Carriage Return/Line Feed in Glossary Definition

Mar 06, 2013 Mar 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if this is possible in Robohelp 10 or not, but I really have a need to insert a carriage return/line feed in a definition. For example, the definition could be like the following:

1. Initial definition as used in one part of the application.

2. Second definition as used in another part of the application.

I don't want to run the two lines together as it makes it more difficult to read (especially since we can't specifically format the text of the definition).

I tried inserting 

in the definition, but when the project is output as Webhelp, it is converting those characters to non-breaking spaces ( ). I figured that would work since the GLO file is XML, and XML 1.0 supports the use of those ASCII characters. However, it seems that Robohelp doesn't. When I added those ASCII characters to the glossary file, Robohelp changed them to 

. When I directly change the characters to 
 in the XML and save it, then return to Robohelp, the glossary is completely gone since, apparently, Robohelp can't read those character.

Does anyone have a work around for this? Or is there another way to insert the line breaks?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 06, 2013 Mar 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

As far as I know, RoboHelp will just remove line breaks.

To get what you need, I can only think of these options:

- Add two terms to the glossary, each which indicates the definition applying to the term in that specific context.

- Add an HTML file with your glossary to the project

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mar 07, 2013 Mar 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I figured that would be the case. I played around with all sorts of possibilities, but it just doesn't stick.

Although I don't want to include a glossary as a specific topic in the output, I may have to. It is just convenient to have a glossary to the side that can be viewed while not leaving the specific topic.

I have been experimenting with CSS pop-ups for glossary terms by making each glossary term a variable with the necessary calls to the CSS included within the variable value. That seems to have possiblities, but it could become a little over the top, I'm afraid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp