• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to test automaticaly if hhactivex.dll is installed on user PC ?

New Here ,
Jan 14, 2007 Jan 14, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My chm project use Browse sesquence.
Is it possible to test if hhactivex.dll is installed on users's PC when user runs the chm ?

Thank's.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 15, 2007 Jan 15, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Malko59,

I'm guessing that what you'd like to do is test that the HHActiveX.dll is installed before the user tries to run the help?
Because, the easiest way for the user to test whether the .dll is installed is run the help and look for the browse sequences in the toolbar or a glossary (if you use one).

If you need to double check that the HHActiveX.dll is installed, I'd chat with the programmers the run the script to install it and register it (the registering bit is very important as the .dll does not work without being registered on the end user's PC), ask them to run a check to see if the HHActiveX.dll is indeed registerer.

Check http://www.developerfusion.co.uk/show/3479/ which provides some code for the developer for example. Or they could perhaps run a search on the registry after the install - bit over the top though if the code has been written well and tested.

Hope this helps more than a chocolate coffee pot
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2007 Jan 16, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank's CraigCC !
Indeed I have a topic in my chm project to explain to the user that Browse sequence and Glossary are available only if hhactivex is installed. The user must read the topic only if he knows that browse sequence could be availabled.

I think it is better to add a javascript or activex code (or another) to verify and to open a popup message or a topic with "The help file is not well installed. Dll is not installed. Please read this topic...".
You gave me a link to a developper page but I don't know how to integrate it in my chm project. I am not a developper.

Malko59.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Malko,

How is your .chm shipped and installed?
The script was intended for your developer to add to the install process.
Do you provide any means for installing the HHActiveX.dll or do the users do this manually?

thanks
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again,
the chm is installed by me with the software and Dll on the target PC (with a ghost). So there is no problem.
But users can decide to copy only the chm on another computer or on his notebook to study the software documentation.
Perhaps there is no simple solution.
Malko.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Malko59. If people are manually copying CHM files to different PCs there is no easy solution. If the software is installed by you or by a SETUP.EXE it is possible to copy and register the .DLL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi Malko,

I'm not saying there isn't a great solution, just that I do not know how to do this. I seem to recall Rick (another Adobe Community Expert) posting a method for running a script when a .chm start's up. This may be an option, but I'll leave it for someone else to pipe in if they have a specific solution.

My only thoughts right now is to provide very clear install instructions or a very clear message on the.chm welcome page (i.e. This Help File is only fully functional if the the HHActiveX.dll is installed, click here for instructions).

Good luck and sorry I could not be more help.
Kind Regards
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp