• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a Windows 8 version of the hhactiveX.dll?

Mar 08, 2013 Mar 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems the old 64bit version does not work any more on Win8..

Robert

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mar 12, 2013 Mar 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I should add some more information what this is about. This is the old issue with browse sequences, they only display on other computers when you register the hhactivex.dll provided with Robohelp. There also is a 64 bit version, but this evidently does not work with Win8 64bit. To make tthings worse, registering it on a Win8 64bit machine breaks the help viewer resulting in the chm not displaying at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2013 Mar 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please submit this as a bug.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2013 Mar 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with Windows 8 64bit. On Windows 7 64bit with the same HHActivex.dll everthing works fine.

Any solution?

Urs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2013 Mar 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but there are no updates for Windows 8.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2013 Apr 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that the 64 bit version is included in the patch released today.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 05, 2013 Apr 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for pointing it out!

Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2014 Jun 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting this problem with RH 9 and Win8.1, although HHActiveX.dll is present. What update are you referring to, Peter? What is the solution?

2014-06-19 10_28_18-Self-Registration Error.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2014 Jun 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the date of that post I think it would have been a Rh10 patch. You could ask Adobe if it can be used with Rh9 but I doubt they will advise either way as Rh9 was not supported on Windows 8.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2014 Jun 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. I'm using RH 9 on Win7. The MS HTMLHELP file I generate works on Win7. When it's installed under Win8.1 I get an error message that HHActiveX.dll cannot be found, although it is installed in C:\Windows\SysWOW64\
From this thread I assume I need to package a newer version of HHActiveX.dll with the product which includes the MS HTMLHELP file. Does that mean that, in order to support Win8 customers, I have to install a Win8-compatible version of RH on my development system? Or do I even have to run Win8 on my development system? Can I not simply get hold of the correct version of HHActiveX.dll (if that's the only problem)?
As a rider: Since no one wants to give me a clear answer, should I download a trial version of RH 11, to see if the problem is resolved? Will I then still able to revert to my existing RH 9, if I don't decide to buy RH 11?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think there is any need for the attitude.

What I was saying is the fix was for Rh10 and no one is going to say that the fix will work with Rh9 as that has not been tested for Windows 7 (with Rh9), let alone Windows 8.

It is up to you if you want to try the DLL from a later version. You could download the trial for Rh11 and extract the DLL from that, saving the old version in case it causes more problems than it solves.

If you may want to revert to Rh9, I suggest you install on a different machine if you can. While trialling Rh11, use copies of your projects. Whilst there are ways to revert the project to an older version, it's safer not to put yourself in that position.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

"Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. I'm using RH 9 on Win7. The MS HTMLHELP file I generate works on Win7. When it's installed under Win8.1 I get an error message that HHActiveX.dll cannot be found, although it is installed in C:\Windows\SysWOW64\"

So the file exists there. But has it been REGISTERED with the operating system? Perhaps I missed seeing it, but it's not sufficient to just ensure the file exists. It has to be properly registered so Windows knows where it is and how to work with it.

"Does that mean that, in order to support Win8 customers, I have to install a Win8-compatible version of RH on my development system?"

Generally speaking, it's not RoboHelp that one has to worry about. It's the output files. Certainly a newer version of RoboHelp would be helpful as it gets updated and changes made with the way it generates output so the output works without issue on newer versions of browsers and with newer operating systems such as Windows 8.

"As a rider: Since no one wants to give me a clear answer..."

I don't see it as nobody wanting to give you a clear answer here. Keep in mind that mostly what you see are folks that are in a similar position as you all trying to help one another out. This means we all have other things we are doing. And the fact is, there may be precious few of us that are able to dash out and obtain the latest and greatest version of an operating system. So it's likely more an issue of the "right" person that has encountered this specific issue before and overcome it AND are reading the forums and are able to help. For many of us, there isn't a clear answer.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2014 Jun 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry if I ruffled some feathers. I have spent so much time searching in Google and trying to find my way through the Adobe Support service (I get shifted from US to UK to DE and English to German), and when I log in I can't find my open support case. However, I was asked (in German) to complete a customer satisfaction questionnaire , which pointed me to my open case in Adobe UK (I'm in Switzerland). I also tried the online support chat. It started out helpful, but I had to break it off on Friday after 5 pm. I was told the case would be kept open for further online support. But it wasn't. I reopened it yesterday but no one has responded.2014-06-25 10_49_26-Adobe - Customer Support Portal.png

Back to the issue: Since the error message (comment 7 above) said: "The following files did not self-register or unregister... The system cannot find the file specified", I assumed the installation script (which is not under my control) was copying (it did) and trying to register the required file (HHActivX.dll). This thread led me to suspect that although an attempt was made to register the file, this didn't work because it was not the correct version. Our engineer has installed a trial version of RH 11 to try with the newer version of HHActivX.dll. I'm waiting for his feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp