Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Errors posting to Facebook in Lightroom 4

New Here ,
Mar 18, 2012 Mar 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I recently setup a Facebook connection in Lightroom 4, and everything Authorized properly, however, when I go to publish a photo, any photo, I get an error back stating "Photo Upload Failed" and when I click OK, a second box pops up saying "Cannot Update this Collection".  The strange part is 50% of the time the photos actually do upload to Facebook, but they are never marked as such in Lightroom, so every time I publish it tried to reupload the photos.  What am I doing wrong here?  Elements seems to work fine, and Lightroom 3.6 worked fine from this same PC.  I did a fresh install of Lightroom 4, built a new Catalog, still the same problem.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Mar 19, 2012 Mar 19, 2012

Samething happens to me. Using LR4 and this also used to happen in all versions of 3.x. Facebook uploading is hit or miss. I blame it on Facebook. Even when using their new uploader in Firefox, uploads fail.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2012 Mar 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I published two collections yesterday afternoon using LR4 without any errors, but today I have the same problem you have. I used to see this on LR3, too. In general, I just waited a few hours and tried again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 19, 2012 Mar 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Samething happens to me. Using LR4 and this also used to happen in all versions of 3.x. Facebook uploading is hit or miss. I blame it on Facebook. Even when using their new uploader in Firefox, uploads fail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2012 Mar 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May be a coincidence, but I had another browser on another PC open on my FB account and when I closed that, things started working better from LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 26, 2012 Mar 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing here with OS X 10.7.3 and Lightroom 4. I get an error back stating "Photo Upload Failed" and when I click OK, a second box pops up saying "Cannot Update this Collection". One image in the collection I'm trying to publish will show up on FB. The rest do not. Nor do I get the image transfer to a "published" section in Publishing Services.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2012 Mar 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here - again - with OS X 10.7.3 & LR 3.6.

Yesterday all worked well, today no more.

My guess? Facebook change - as usual - ... Sometimes I wonder why I still bother about that ´place´ ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bumped into it again last night. On a whim, I closed a browser tab that was open on a photo album and then LR was able to upload without a hiccup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried that approach, but for me it makes no difference wheither a browser is opened or not, logged in or out...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2012 Mar 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just bought the upgrade from LR 3 to LR 4 last night and am running it on Mac OS X 10.7.3 and am having the exact same problem.  What gives? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2012 Mar 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really believe it's a Facebook problem.  My uploads work sometimes and not others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2012 Mar 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem after using LR4 to upload images into FB directly from LR4. No problems with LR3. The message photo upload failed always comes up but the photo actually got uploaded.  The image will not move into the published area in the LR window and remian as an unpublished photo. The image stays there continously even after you try to upload other images thus making the same image uploaded into FB many times.

This is still a problem today -30 April 2012.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2012 Mar 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had also a problem with uploading and found out that FB changed settings in my account. see: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4301938#4301938

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2012 Mar 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i got it working finally! Looks like FB changed my app settings.

1. Log into FB through your browser.
  2. Go to "Account settings"
  3. Select "Apps"
  4. Select "Adobe Lightroom"
  5. Scroll down to "Posts on my behalf"
  6. Edit your setting accordingly. FB set mine to "Only Me", I changed it to "friends". You can change it to whatever you want.

What seemed to happen is that your album settings on FB have their own privacy settings, but LR only allows to upload in one setting.  So when the LR App setting is more secure than your album, it seems to have some sort of conflict and cannot allow uploads.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2012 Apr 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As we all know, Facebook changes the way it interacts constantly - without notice and gradually.

With all due respect for the people who have come up with solutions to the problem, you are looking at it only from the LR-FB perspective.

Over the past few weeks I´ve come to the conclusion that the concept on which those albums are based must contain several bugs and oddities.

For instance, trying to remove a couple of photos from an album - through the FB interface, not LR´s - at once often failed. A non-descriptive error (something went wrong, we´re working on it... duh) as a result.

My different albums have different settings, ranging from publicly visible to only me. Updating any of these albums from within LR stopped during the past week, no matter which setting.

Forget about LR for a second and look at the facebook albums and how the way to edit them changed all of a sudden. To me it´s obvious that the folks over at FB where working on some of the issues involved and - as usual - that solves some problems and introduces new ones.

For testing purposes - I just wanted to know - I created a new publicly visible in LR, uploaded and immediately after that tried to add one photo. Again from within LR. Result? Fail.

Conclusion? They knew things aren´t working correctly, applied some fixes that did not do the trick, so they ran some scripts to change the settings inside OUR albums to make the changes on the back-end work. Again, that failed...

Unfortunately, many (potential) clients use FB as a means to get and/or to keep in touch, otherwise I would have abandoned this ´social network´ already.

I´ve been a systems and network admin long enough to know, that the larger a userbase grows, the more difficult it becomes to apply changes that will NOT have an unexpected negative effect on some of the users. That - imho - is one of the problems FB is constantly running into.

That being said: isn´t it time that companies like Adobe start to put some pressure on this FB monster?

Or... should we just forget about FB and move to Google+ (requires a third party export plugin, but hey) hoping our clients/followers - or whatever we want to call them - make the change with us???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2012 Apr 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree that FB is a moving target. However, we are "black-box" users and have limited numbers of knobs under our control, so we are doing what comes naturally... we tinker, but don't really know if it was our efforts that make the difference, or something being "fixed" behind the scenes.

For a while, I was using Picasa desktop to export to FB (another 3rd party app plugin), or posting to PicasaWeb (which is now integrated with Google+, I guess). The Picasa-FB connection was generally flawless, or at least far few failures than I have seen with LR3 and LR4. Therefore, I'd pin most of the onus on Adobe to get this nailed down. And even if there are glitches and hiccups, LR should be giving better feedback (if it's something that requires user action) or silently retrying/adjusting in the background until it succeeds.

For a quicky publish of some food pics for FB, I used Picasa3.9 last night, auto-corrected the lighting and white balance, and uploaded (without a hiccup) in far less time than it takes to import/develop/publish in LR. I'm sure I will need to use LR for the serious work, but I think I might be doing more Picasa/FB processing in the near future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2012 Apr 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case, FB has my posts going to World, but the Lightroom App was only allowed to post to Friends.  Changing the App's security setting to World fixed my problem.  LR4 is now able to publish directly to my FB galleries.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2012 Apr 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello all. I have a question that is related to FB publishing. I recently upgraded from LR3 to LR4. Although most settings were preserved, none of the publishing services were included. I have a number of (smart) folders in my Facebook publishing service in LR3. Can I just set up FB publishing service in LR4 and then import those smart folders from LR3? How did you do it? Thanks a lot!    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2012 Apr 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also received the publishing error when trying to publish to Facebook. I was logged into Facebook on two different computers so after I logged out and re-published everything was smooth after that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2012 Apr 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works for me :

"

I get (#10) Application does not have permission for this action when I try to upload.

You're trying to upload to an album that has wider visibility than you've given the plugin permission for. (E.g. you've said that the plugin can upload only friends-visible stuff, but you're trying to upload now to a publicly-visible album.)

To fix, you can downgrade the visibility of the album, or upgrade the permission of the app. To do the latter:

1. Visit your FB privacy settings by clicking on this link (or manually by clicking on the down-triangle in the upper-right of your home Facebook page, and select “Privacy Settings” from the dropdown menu).
  2. On the “Apps and Websites” row, click “Edit Settings”
  3. On the “Apps you use” row, click “Edit Settings”
  4. On the “Adobe Lightroom Export Plugin” row, click “Edit”
  5. Scroll down to “Posts on my behalf: Who can see posts this app makes for me on Facebook?” and choose “Public” or something that at least encompasses the uploads you'd like to do.Note: if you choose something more restrictive than “Public”, albums that are “Public” or otherwise less restrictive than what you set will not be available for uploading and will not appear in Lightroom.
  6. Click “Close” at the bottom of the app-settings box.

"

Source : http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/faq#fbperm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2012 Apr 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi there

this was not really my question. I would like to know how to upgrade from LR3 to LR4 while preserving all the publishing services. Now, I upgraded, but none of the publishing services were preserved. I tried using my 500px publishing service, but it did not recognize my pictures from 500px and it shows only 1 picture. When I publish a picture to 500px it shows up in the default album, so that works, but in Lightroom I see only 1 picture instead of 6 that are in the album. For Facebook, I have a number of albums online, some of which are automatically updated through a Smart Folder in the publishing service.

When I export those folders from LR3 and import them into LR4, I get an error when I try to edit the publishing service:

?:0: attempt to index upvalue '?' (a nil value)

And when I want to publish a photo to Facebook, I get the following Internal error:

expected string argument to JSON.decode()

So, the question is: How did you succeed in moving your publishing services from LR3 to LR4?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 15, 2012 May 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having an issue.  I can sometimes publish to facebook.  Maybe 1 or 2 photos will go and then it fails, and I have to publish again.  Sometime it will restart, posting a duplicate of the last image and then moving on, but the process is painfully slow.  I have noticed though that if I go to facebook and totally log-out of it, sometimes the publish will finish with no errors and need to restart.  Anyone else seen something like this.  Please note this is not a permission issue as that is been ruled by the fact the some photos will upload to the album and all will eventually get there with lots restarts.

thanks

Patrick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dragon308 wrote:

I am having an issue.  I can sometimes publish to facebook.  Maybe 1 or 2 photos will go and then it fails, and I have to publish again.  Sometime it will restart, posting a duplicate of the last image and then moving on, but the process is painfully slow.  I have noticed though that if I go to facebook and totally log-out of it, sometimes the publish will finish with no errors and need to restart.  Anyone else seen something like this.  Please note this is not a permission issue as that is been ruled by the fact the some photos will upload to the album and all will eventually get there with lots restarts.

thanks

Patrick

I experience this all the time in Lightroom, and always have.  It's broken enough that Adobe should consider removing the feature completely unless they actually commit to resolving it.  So far, they evince the usual behavior:  it's Facebook's fault, something to do with the API and don't-look-at-us. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would be happy if there was a log somewhere the showed what the actuallly error was.  Timeout? Contention? anything would be helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2012 Jul 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you go to the plug-in manager you can get a diagnostic file. This is what mine is giving me... I can't create a new collection...

Plug-in error log for plug-in at: /Applications/Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.app/Contents/PlugIns/Facebook.lrplugin

**** Error 1

An error occurred while attempting to load this plug-in’s portion of the Export dialog.

?:0: attempt to index upvalue '?' (a nil value)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2012 Jul 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem aswell. I checked the my privacysettings and they're set to "everyone" in both LR and FB so that doesn't seem to solve the problem atleast for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines