Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How map file works in context-sensitive help

Mar 11, 2013 Mar 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm creating a new Webhelp project using Robohelp HTML 10, and I'm confused about the different pieces of information in a map file. I'm not sure yet whether my developer will be giving me a map file or whether I will be creating it, but I want to understand the concept of mapping better before I discuss it with him.

I created a map file using Robohelp, and the Robohelp "Edit Map IDs" dialog box shows three columns: Map ID, Map #, and Topic. I've automatically assigned map numbers to my help topics. For example, one row shows "Changing_Password" for Map ID, "2" for Map #, and "Changing Password" for Topic. I know that the application screen for this topic is changepassword.cdl. Is the map file supposed to tell the developer that this topic should be linked to changepassword.cdl, and if so, where? Or do I give the developer that information separately? Also, in the compiled WebHelp folder, that topic is named PasswordChanging.htm. Should I change the Map ID to PasswordChanging instead of Changing_Password?

Thanks for any help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 14, 2013 Mar 14, 2013

It depends on how you want to work. Personally, I have my developers call the help using the system's internal page. They know that already. So I don't give anything to the developers.

In your case, the developer needs to know which id to call for which page. How you communicate this is up to you. As Jeff suggests, you probably want to give the .h file to the developer.

@Jeff: the article describes how RH CSH works. Developers van use that to create their own API. (That's what we did.)

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2013 Mar 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depends on the method the developer is going to use to call the help – see calling Webhelp on Peter Grainge’s site (grainge.org) and Willam van Weelden (wvanweelden.eu). Show your developer the various method of CSH in your RH install folder – there’s a bunch of methods in separate folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mar 12, 2013 Mar 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe my developer is going to use the Topic IDs and Map Numbers method described at http://www.wvanweelden.eu/articles/part/topic-ids-and-map-numbers.  Can you answer my questions based on that assumption? In the map file I've created, an example row shows "Changing_Password" for Map ID, "2" for Map #, and "Changing Password" for Topic. The application screen for this topic is changepassword.cdl. Do I separately have to give the developer the information that changepassword.cdl should link to Map #2, Changing_Password? Also, in the compiled WebHelp folder, that topic is named PasswordChanging.htm. Should I change the Map ID to PasswordChanging instead of Changing_Password?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2013 Mar 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, but that article just describes using Map IDs vs. URLs – what API method are they going to use?

You’re going to give them the .h or .hh file and .ali file if using the Map ID methd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 14, 2013 Mar 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It depends on how you want to work. Personally, I have my developers call the help using the system's internal page. They know that already. So I don't give anything to the developers.

In your case, the developer needs to know which id to call for which page. How you communicate this is up to you. As Jeff suggests, you probably want to give the .h file to the developer.

@Jeff: the article describes how RH CSH works. Developers van use that to create their own API. (That's what we did.)

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp