Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Linked Word Doc's Edits Not Updating in RoboHelp

Explorer ,
Feb 25, 2013 Feb 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, all:

I am using RoboHelp HTML RH10 on a 32-bit Windows XP Professional SP3 laptop and also have Office 2010 installed. I have local admin privileges and can install/uninstall without problems.

I have been pouring over the forums and Mr. Grainge's site, but can't find a solution to my issue:

Simply put, I can link a document to a project, but edits in the Word doc do not get updated in my RoboHelp project.

When I make an edit in Word, I DO see the exclamation point in the Project Manager pod adjacent to the document name. I can right-click it and generate and subsequently update. When I do so I see the Processing Word Document(s) dialog box looking as though it is busy doing something, but the end result is always the same: I cannot see the updated document edits in my Help topics.

I have tried all sub-menu options:

• Generate
  • Update
  • Update All
  • Force Update
  • Force Update All

I have also created new basic test documents to get a nice clean source doc, thereby eliminating the possibility that my old Word doc manual was corrupt.

Nothing has worked for me so far.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Thanks for looking!

Tracy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tracy

I'm wondering exactly what TYPE of edits you are making here. Can you provide some examples of what you have done, how it looks on the Word side as well as what RoboHelp is showing?

Certainly things seem to be amiss as far as you are concerned, but I've never seen it fail for me.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Captiv8r:

I am just making basic text edits in the Word document: Adding a step to a task, editing a sentence, etc. I haven't yet experimented with changing the topic title, just text within.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you change text in a paragraph in Word, see the notification in RoboHelp, update the document and it doesn't populate across?

What about on the RoboHelp side of things? Did you also make edits there and tell RoboHelp to preserve the edits? If so, wondering if this could explain the behavior.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't trace whether it was here on the forum or a direct email but I was recently asked about the exact same scenario. In that case the linked document was linked by Create a Copy and Link rather than Create a Reference and I suggested trying the latter to see if it made any difference.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 26, 2013 Feb 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Mr. Grange:

You may have seen this post regarding a simiilar issue with RH8: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3746492#3746492

I have tested both with Create a Reference and with Create a Copy and Link, but the results are the same. I have also tried editing the linked document outside of RoboHelp, as well as by right-clicking it and selecting Edit from within RoboHelp's Project Manager pod.

I am starting to wonder: I work for a large organization with IT security restrictions. Although I have (or have been led to believe!) that I have local admin privileges and I know I can install/uninstall, something else might be restricted and that is stopping Word from clearly talking to RH. I just tested another of my organization's PCs with XP and a trial of RH10 and linking didn't work on that laptop either.

I think I will run a test on my home PC tonight and see if I get the same issues. If not, that tells me what I need to know!

Thanks very much for helping me troubleshoot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2013 Mar 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Captiv8r and Mr. Grainge:

I believe I have stumbled across the error of my ways:

Since I only have one source document and only intend on updating one source document, I imported it and then linked it. In this scenario, the topics do not update for me when I update the source document.

What does work on my PC is this:

a) Import Document A (in my case a dummy file with only a couple of topics to get the new project started).

b) Link actual Document B.

In this scenario, I can successfully update Document B, and then update the topics in RoboHelp 10.

(BTW: I did get an error when I updated twice during one session, but when I close the project after each update I no longer see the error.)

Not sure if my results are different from others, but this seems to work for me. So far, so good!

Again, thanks for your support!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 06, 2013 Mar 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You either link to a document or you import it. You can do both but you would have duplicated content. Also any updates would show in the linked document but not in the imported document. Once imported, the topics created have no relationship with the document.

The diffference between linking and importing is explained on my site.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2013 Mar 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@MajorIssues

Has this now been resolved?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 13, 2013 Mar 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I believe so, thanks. It wasn't quite as seamless as I imagined based on what I read, but I think I am up and running now.

Thanks once again for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 26, 2013 Feb 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Captiv8r:

You are correct: I change text in a paragraph in Word, see the notification in RoboHelp, update the document and it doesn't populate across.

I can edit a topic directly in RoboHelp, close, re-open and the change persists.

It's a headscratcher, that's for sure!

BTW: If you're getting deja vu, you have seen something similar before with RH8: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3746492#3746492

In that case, the user could only see updates if he deleted the old topic in RH and then re-generated.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp