• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Generate HTML index from TOC (Table Of Contents)

Mar 12, 2013 Mar 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have a urgent problem I need to share with you: I have an .html project and, in RoboHelp, I can visualize the Table Of Cotents, how can I generate an Index, which should be the identical to the Table of Contents (TOC) itself?

Feel free to answer both in English or in Italian, that makes really no differences.

Thanks to everybody,

Alessandro

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Caio Alessandro but I am afraid my Italian doesn't go much beyond that!

It maybe my lack of understanding of your requirement but why would you want your index to be the same as the TOC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for the prompt answer, I'll try to explain better: I have index translated in .chm files but when visualizing the site with IIS I can't see the index translated in Italian (I see the translated index on the right of the screen just deactivating ActiveX). The point is that now I'm running RoboHelp 10 and I see the index I translated (using HTML Help workshop to access the content of the index) in Italian... in TOC table!

In a word, all the issues I've listed so far points to the problem I traslated the index of a software webhelp, I see the translated index in .chm files, in the TOC table and in a browser deactivating ActixeX as well, but I'm trying to see my translated index and I'm trying to fix the issue using RoboHelp... but I suppose you've already understood that my IT competence is not better than your Italian!

Thank you very much, once again!

Ale

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL! I do have a qualification in Italian but that was 35 years ago! I can count to 19 if that helps

Perhaps I should start by saying that a CHM file is designed to be placed on a local drive. You say that you are using IIS which makes me wonder if it being placed on a server or someother network drive. If this is so, do you see the same issue if you move the CHM file to a local drive?

Secondly I'm not sure we both have the same meaning of "Index". I think you are referring to the contents of your TOC. Is that right?

I am also a little puzzled by your mention of "webhelp" in your last paragrapgh. Can you explain what you meant and just confirm that you are delivering a CHM file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Thanks for your patience, I think we're reaching our goal.

The .html project I'm working on is the translation of a webhelp of a software from English to italian, and it is fully on my local machine, no server (IIS is just a way to visualize it).

I probably got confused between TOC and Index, the question is that I need to see in Italian not just the content of the webhelp but also the index, or TOC, or whatever it is, wich you can read on the left of the text in the webhelp.

I tried to remove from the local drive .chm files full in English, but nothing changes.

I hope now you have a clearer prospect of the situation.

Cheers,

Ale

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are creating WebHelp you can control the parts of the output that get displayed in the output via the project's window properties.

RH_Window.png

Just select the required options and generate the output. If this still isn't what you want, can you please use the icon below to post an image of what you are seeing.

adobe_forum_camera_icon.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry,

are you working with RoboHelp? I can't reach these screens...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your windows are displayed in the Project Set-up pod (see below). Double click on the window you want to use to see the dialog displayed in my previous post.

If your window doesn't look like this, the chances are it was created whilst your default single source layout was set to something other than WebHelp. Can you also please tell us which RH version you are using as this will affect where we go from there.

rh_projman.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have we established that domande is using RoboHelp HTML? Perhaps RoboHelp for Word is being used?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok,

sorry for the misunderstanding, now I reached the point.

Here it is what I see in the firs window (I had to create the subfolder in the Project Set-Up pod):

1.JPG

Here you have my situation: Here you can see the Webhelp TOC, my aim is to recreate an index with same labels and structure of the TOC:

2.jpg

I'm using RoboHelp 10 Tryout, not RoboHelp for Word.

Does this help?

Thanks,

Ale

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those red Xs running through your TOC are a sign that RoboHelp has lost track of where your topics are. This normally happens when a change has been made to the topics outside of RoboHelp (e.g. a topic has been renamed / moved).

Out of interest, when you translation was performed was the topic file name changed? If so that is likely to be the issue. The TOC will still think that the file name is the same as when it was originally added.

Right click on one of the topics and select the Properties menu item. This displays the dialog below. Check that the "Link To" field at the bottom is pointing to the translated topic file.

toc_prop.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 14, 2013 Mar 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

sorry for the day vacancy day but I tried to go deeper in this discussion with my colleagues...

We re-established the links of the file! And no, we did dot translate topic files name, but neither topic files name are the content of the strings, but it's not the issue as file names are different from index element labels (for example, the linked file is "file_one.html" but in the index we have "First File of this Help").

Anyway we went ahead and we can send you these screenshots: in the first one we have a visualization of the content of the pages in Italian, but the index is in English:

ImmagineCONJavascript_notext.jpg

Here you see the same page, but with both content of the page and index in Italian: the difference is just that we deactivated javascript.

ImmagineSenzaJavascript_notext.jpg

If you look in the lowest part of the screen also the visualized source folders are different (just in the second one you see the "whgdata" folder), how can we manage this information?

Does this help? I know that such pics are not so clear, but please understand I have to respect an undisclosure agreement too.

Thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp