Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hyperlink as TOC Entry

New Here ,
Jan 17, 2007 Jan 17, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have a project that contains topics as well as links to a number of PDF files and bookmarks/pages within the PDF. I'd like to create TOC entries that are actually hyperlinks to specific pages of these PDF files. Can I do that?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 17, 2007 Jan 17, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jhanton and welcome to our community. You can create a TOC page that links to a PDF file in your baggage files but this doesn't allow you to jump to a specific bookmark. However I think you may be able to achieve this by using redirect topics. If you add a redirect topic as outlined in Rick Stones tips and tricks file and assign the PDF file and bookmark it may just work. As you can tell I shooting from the hip here but I can't think of any other way to achieve what you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2007 Jan 18, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colum,

Thanks for your reply. The redirect page does work. I did however discover something. In link view, I can drag my link to the PDF file into the TOC. It then shows up in the TOC with an icon that implies it's a web page (has a globe on it). However, when I build my project, the link does not show up in the TOC. Is there any way I can work with this method?

Thanks...Jenn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 19, 2007 Jan 19, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jenn. You've got me confused now - not hard I admit! When you say "drag my link into the TOC" what are you doing exactly? I've tried to do this but am failing miserably.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2007 Mar 08, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Interesting. I was able to drag the "link" to the TOC from both the Link and Topic view. Now having said this the topics that I dragged into the TOC are external documents stored on our network in a shared folder. I did not copy them into my project as these documents change frequently.

After publishing the project the topic shows up in the TOC. Unfortunately it does not work. The CHM file spits out "No URL Specified" error.

The Property view of the topic in the TOC itself shows the complete pathway. A hyperlink within a "topic" works fine and displays the same pathway.

If I drag in a HTTP site it works fine.

I was able to recreate you disappearing TOC topic if I dragged over a link from the Link view but the document was one that I elected to copy into the project when I set up my initial hyperlink to the document.

It is interesting that Robohelp seems to treat the different "documents" differently.

What kind of project are you publishing?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp