• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need to pause slide until button clicked but NOT disable rollover captions.

Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2012 Dec 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to be able to do this, but I haven't really worked much in Captivate for five years, and now I can't remember how I did it.

Details:

I have five roll-over captions.

I want users to take all the time they need to read what's in the roll-overs, then push a button to continue to the next slide.

Currently, if I don't add a button, the slide advances to the next slide automatically.

If I do add a button, it makes the roll-overs inactive at some point, so unless I just stretch out the timing to forever, I'm not sure what to do.

I'm using 5.5.

Thank you!!

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 03, 2012 Dec 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have all of the rollover captions set for duration of Rest of Slide?

The rollovers should not be triggering the button to move past it's pause point. My guess is that something else s happening here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2012 Dec 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, they are set for rest of slide. If I don't have a button, though, the slide just keeps playing and transitions to the next one. If I do have a button, the slide runs until the button activates. The slide is paused, but the roll-overs don't work either.  So I need to find a way that the slide will not advance until the button is clicked, but the rollovers will still work. When I used to do a lot of developing five years ago, I could do that. How did I do it?  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something is not making sense here. Rollover captions should not be affected by the presence of a button or any other object pausing the timeline.

Can you show us a screenshot of one of your rollover objects to see how you have it set up on the screen in Edit mode?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

captivatepic.jpg

I'm probably just doing something stupid. Like I said, I haven't used this program much in 5 yrs and now I'm working by myself with no one to bounce ideas off of and I'm under a lot of pressure to produce fast.  So I hope we can figure this out. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, and by the way, before the user clicks, all the red boxes move to the top via effects.  Just FYI, so it'll make sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2012 Dec 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made it work. I'm not sure what the problem was. Created about five slides and one worked. Whoo! Thanks for your feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2013 Mar 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi KeyWestie,

Could you share with me and others how you managed to get this to work? I have similar problems, but cannot find a solution anywhere.

Thanks in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try an Event Handler widget on the slide.  You can set the preference to Disable Continue so that it will pause the slide until the specific object you nominate in the widget for the mouse event is actioned.  Then the widget ON Success action can be set to jump to next slide.

That's the way I do these things whenever I have some interaction on a slide where I want the user to be able to click away on things repeatedly without triggering an accidental move to continue the playback.

Trial versions of the widget can be downloaded here:

http://www.infosemantics.com.au/adobe-captivate-widgets/download-free-trial-widgets

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

answered on your thread...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources