• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bulleted List Issue

New Here ,
Mar 13, 2013 Mar 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently working on a WebHelp project in RoboHelp HTML (RH10) and am using bulleted lists. The issue is that some of our bulleted lists use an image bullet for the first line and then the subsequent lines beneath should use the standard round bullet. During development, within RoboHelp, there doesn't seem to be an issue with this; however, when I preview and/or generate the project, the subsequent lines beneath take on the properties of the first line resulting in all of the lines having the image bullet.

This is what it looks like during development (I removed image bullet format to the subsequent lines and applied the round bullet format - which is the goal format).

RH_BulletedList.PNG

This is what it looks like when it's previewed and/or generated.

RH_BulletedList_Preview.PNG

Thank you in advance for your help, this is a very frustrating issue.

Nikki

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 13, 2013 Mar 13, 2013

Rh is writing the code incorrectly. Notice that the closing tag for the first list comes after the second list.

It might work if you amend the code but I suspect Rh will rewrite it. If it does, then it is a bug you are stuck with. Do report it though. The more people who report a bug or request a feature, the more likely it is to be actioned. Please follow this link.

http://www.Adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=38

As a temporary workaround, create a paragraph style called Spa

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you including the image bullet as a baggage file & how is the CSS looking for these two types of bullets?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the image bullets are not baggage files, they're actually part of the CSS (in the CSS they are a list style).

RH_BulletedList_Style.PNG

For the subsequent lines that are using the round bullet (or is supposed to be), it's using the "Normal" style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shouldn’t the round bullets be using a bulleted style? Then the HTML would refer to the icon_note style for the first line, and the bulleted style for the rest. Then the CSS would be defined for each style, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried that, I actually created a new bulleted style in the CSS and applied it to the subsequent lines, but there was not change to the outcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you give us a snapshot of what the HTML code looks like and the corresponding lines in the CSS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure! Let me know if you're looking for something more than this ...

RH_BulletedList_HTML.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rh is writing the code incorrectly. Notice that the closing tag for the first list comes after the second list.

It might work if you amend the code but I suspect Rh will rewrite it. If it does, then it is a bug you are stuck with. Do report it though. The more people who report a bug or request a feature, the more likely it is to be actioned. Please follow this link.

http://www.Adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=38

As a temporary workaround, create a paragraph style called Spacer or suchlike. Set the font to be 1pt and no top or bottom margin. After the "list" with the image, insert a line using that style, then revert to Normal and create the second list. With just 1pt in between it will hopefully not be noticeable.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aha! I knew that would reveal something funky going on ;>)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both very much and I'll report the issue. Peter, your workaround works great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2013 Apr 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to disagree Peter, but that is the correct way of nesting lists. The way RH has done it forever is the wrong way.

http://www.w3schools.com/html/tryit.asp?filename=tryhtml_lists2

The only thing I can think is maybe the bullet_ul style isn't specifically set back to not use an image?

For example, in a manually created HTML file, this code results in my image being used throughout the list:

li.Icon_Note {

list-style-image : url(arrow-right.png);

}

li.bullet_ul {

}

Lists1.gif

Adding list-style-image: none; to the bullet_ul definition results in the required layout:

Lists2.gif

It's also possible RH is doing something funky during generation, but I don't have a copy of RH10 to play with unfortunately.

If you don't want nested lists, I think pressing Enter twice after the first  bullet will end the first list, and you can start a new one and use the bullet_ul style.

Amber

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 08, 2013 Apr 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn't what w3schools show confirming my point? Their example has the first </ul> tag after the first list and before the indent. I agree there are other differences  but the key point here is the position of the </ul> tag and w3schools does close one list before going to the next.

</ul>

</li>

<li>Milk</li>

</ul>

Your workaround of not having nested lists and having one list style after the other with a normal paragraph in between is effectively what I have suggested, except that instead of having Normal, I have used a class called Spacer. That is only 1 point high so imperceptable whereas Normal would leave an unwanted and

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I think I see - it's the location of the close list-item tag ( /li ) for Line 1 that you were referring to. I thought you were saying to close the first ul before starting the second ul.

Yes, technically nested uls should be inside an li, however I haven't seen it make a difference in any browser yet. In the test I posted above, I specified (/li) before starting the nested list.

I still think maybe the bullet_ul style needs to have image specifically set to none.

Amber

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not quite.

See Post 6, there is a closing </ul> tag followed by another. The first one needs to be after line 4 to end that list and go on to the next one.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And yes I was saying to close the first list because that is the only way to get Rh to write the HTML correctly.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Robo leaves your lists once you manually correct the HTML. Creating incorrect HTML for nested lists is one thing that RoboHelp annoys me with to no end.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm! Correcting the HTML didn't work for me.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 09, 2013 Apr 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The list-style is probably overwriting your class. Remove the style attribute and it should be fixed.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp