• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot import .fcpxml from Final Cut Pro X to Premier Pro 6 ...'file format not supported'?

New Here ,
Dec 13, 2012 Dec 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've exported a project from FCPX into a .fcpxml. Upon trying to import it in Premier Pro 6, an error appears 'file format not supported'. I have searched for possible solutions, but everything I've found is related to FCP 7. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 13, 2012 Dec 13, 2012

wildskeena wrote:

I've exported a project from FCPX into a .fcpxml. Upon trying to import it in Premier Pro 6, an error appears 'file format not supported'. I have searched for possible solutions, but everything I've found is related to FCP 7. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Check out "Xto7" from intelligent assistance. That will give you an XML you can bring into Premiere Pro: http://assistedediting.intelligentassistance.com/Xto7/

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is only supported up to 7.  FCPX changed everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wildskeena wrote:

Check out "Xto7" from intelligent assistance. That will give you an XML you can bring into Premiere Pro: http://assistedediting.intelligentassistance.com/Xto7/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2012 Dec 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kevin - The "Xto7" program was successful in creating an XML that was successfully imported into Premier Pro, however, the entire sequence appears as one continuous clip (i.e. the same result as if I just imported the '.mov' file). Is there a tutorial that you could point me to which explains this process in more detail - perhaps I am missing something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 13, 2013 Mar 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wildskeena wrote:

Is there a tutorial that you could point me to which explains this process in more detail - perhaps I am missing something?

Check out Xto7 on their website. They have a link to email support on this page: http://assistedediting.intelligentassistance.com/Xto7/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 14, 2013 Mar 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there anything for windows users to convert or import the fcpxml file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jefbak,

You should have no trouble importing a FCP XML file into Premiere Pro CS6 on Windows. Have you tried it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was not able to import an .fcpxml from fcpx  in windows or mac (just tried) with CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 15, 2013 Mar 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jefbak wrote:

I was not able to import an .fcpxml from fcpx  in windows or mac (just tried) with CS6.

I misspoke, I thought you meant FCP7 .xml. You need Xto7 to do what you want to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Kevin,

I an teaching a video editing class and midway through we switched from editing with FCP7 on old iMacs to editing with premiere pro CS6 on new iMacs.  Students with FCP7 files have exported them as .xml and introduced them into premiere. Premiere showed a 'file import failure' box and wouldn't read the files. After some internet searches, it seem this is because the codec is missing to read the .mov files. We then downloaded FCP7 to their new iMacs and premiere can now read the .xml files just fine. So, their projects are intact.

Here's the issue: When they leave my class next week, they will not be able to continue editing their premiere projects (with the files captured in FCP7)  as they do not have the FCP7 application (with the necessary codec) on their home computers or laptops.

Is there any way to help my students with this issue? Is there any other fix other than recapturing all their tapes through premiere?

Many thanks!

Jessica

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jessikeen wrote:

HI Kevin,

I an teaching a video editing class and midway through we switched from editing with FCP7 on old iMacs to editing with premiere pro CS6 on new iMacs.  Students with FCP7 files have exported them as .xml and introduced them into premiere. Premiere showed a 'file import failure' box and wouldn't read the files. After some internet searches, it seem this is because the codec is missing to read the .mov files. We then downloaded FCP7 to their new iMacs and premiere can now read the .xml files just fine. So, their projects are intact.

Here's the issue: When they leave my class next week, they will not be able to continue editing their premiere projects (with the files captured in FCP7)  as they do not have the FCP7 application (with the necessary codec) on their home computers or laptops.

Is there any way to help my students with this issue? Is there any other fix other than recapturing all their tapes through premiere?

Many thanks!

Jessica

From what I gather, they do not have the ProRes codecs, correct?

Apple has released the ProRes Codecs as a free download for Mac QuickTime here: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1396. These codecs still require an Apple Pro app installed to work. The lowest cost option is to buy Compressor or Motion from the App Store for about $50. If the codecs are installed, Adobe applications can output ProRes.

That should work for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin!

Thanks for your response.

The codec is actually MPEG-2  -- so it's not a ProRes codec.

Other information:

HDV1080i60; 29.97 fps; 48Hz, 1440x1080 resolution

Any ideas for us?

Thanks for responding so quickly ~

Jessica

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jessikeen wrote:

Hi Kevin!

Thanks for your response.

The codec is actually MPEG-2  -- so it's not a ProRes codec.

Other information:

HDV1080i60; 29.97 fps; 48Hz, 1440x1080 resolution

Any ideas for us?

Thanks for responding so quickly ~

Jessica

Hi Jessica,

That is a stickier case.

You can purchase the Calibrated {Q} plug-in to fill that gap. It might be wise to contact them and see if you can get an educational or volume discount.

The no-cost solution is a bit more labor intensive: transcode the footage to a friendlier codec prior via the FCP Media Manager prior to the students leaving the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2014 Sep 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a FCXxml and need to import it to Premiere CC.  I can't.  We work on Windows 7 Premiere, and we dont have macs.  we had to go get the xml from and outside studio and now we're stuck with people saying use Xto7, which is only a MAC program.  How can I get the XML import into Premiere CC w7?  without access to a mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 12, 2014 Sep 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI COLFUD,

COLFUD wrote:

How can I get the XML import into Premiere CC w7?  without access to a mac.

There are no solutions I know of for Windows customers. If you have a colleague that is a Mac User that can help you out, that might be the way to go. Sorry for this conundrum.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2015 Jun 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may sound a bit crazy, but..

If you are exporting an FCPXML, you can open this up in Davinci Resolve Lite [free color correction software from BlackMagic]

Open new project, import fcpxml, render out to an AAF file (yes, AVID I know) and Premiere CC should be able to open it.

Just make sure your bin files don't change at all from the export of the fcpxml from FCPX through the creation of the AAF.

It's tricky but doable.

From FCPX:

Export XML  / **(For 2015 updated users, select version 1.4 as Resolve will not recognize the latest version 1.5)

Open Resolve Lite:

- Import XML

- Render and Export as AAF (You will have to select AAF in file export settings or it will just revert to fcpxml again)

Then open Premiere CS6 - or - CC:

Open new project, import fcpxml, render out to an AAF file (yes, AVID I know) and Premiere CC should be able to open it.

Just make sure your bin files don't change at all from the export of the fcpxml from FCPX through the creation of the AAF.

It's tricky but doable and I have had some issues. Some ranging from title settings being dropped to totally non-migratable but there has been some successes. Worth a shot before spending $50 on Xto7, a program made to make new hardware back-compatible and communicable with other NLE systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2015 Nov 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks John Lawson...this worked to get old fcpx project in to ppcc mac !!!  The only thing was a transform effect did not cross over.

THANK YOU!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jon lawson wrote:

This may sound a bit crazy, but..

If you are exporting an FCPXML, you can open this up in Davinci Resolve Lite [free color correction software from BlackMagic]

It's tricky but doable.

From FCPX:

Export XML / **(For 2015 updated users, select version 1.4 as Resolve will not recognize the latest version 1.5)

Open Resolve Lite:

- Import XML

- Render and Export as AAF (You will have to select AAF in file export settings or it will just revert to fcpxml again)

Then open Premiere CS6 - or - CC:

It's tricky but doable and I have had some issues. Some ranging from title settings being dropped to totally non-migratable but there has been some successes. Worth a shot before spending $50 on Xto7, a program made to make new hardware back-compatible and communicable with other NLE systems.

This sounds really promising, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here is a link to a forum I posted about the issue as well: https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-ideas/premiere-import-xml-is-outdated-final-cut-no-longe...

If you want, upvote it to get Adobe's attention to fix the issue.

TLDR:  FCP changed .xml to their own .fcpxml after version 1.8 and premiere is behind and cannot import .fcpxml. People reccomend XtoCC but that application is $50 and I think premiere should update to include .fcpxml.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines