Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Topics created with a linked Word doc do not update when I edit the .css file

Explorer ,
Mar 13, 2013 Mar 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, all:

I admit first of all that my source document is far from pristine, has many styles from many authors and came from many source documents. I also admit that despite using RH since 1995, linking documents didn't come easily to me...now that I am seemingly over that hurdle, new challenges await...

In my WebHelp project I have a master page pointed at my modified .css, which is in a subfolder with my linked topics.

I have assigned H1, H2 and H3 headings as Tahoma 18 pt. and have defined  my"normal" as Tahoma 12 pt. Normal looks like Tahoma 12 pt in the Styles and Formatting pod when the selected topic has the .css assigned to it.

I have run several tests:

Test I: Topics with no master page and no .css selected in the Appearance tab.

Result: All Times New Roman for both Header and Normal (expected)

Test II: Topics with no master page but with same modified .css selected in the Appearance tab.

Result: Tahoma 18 pt Header (expected), but Times New Roman for Normal (not expected)

Test III: Topics with master page but no .css selected in the Appearance tab.

Result: All Times New Roman for both Header and Normal (not expected)

Test IV: Topics with master file and with same modified .css selected in the Appearance tab.

Result: Tahoma 18 pt Header (expected), but Times New Roman for Normal (not expected)

I have many other crazy styles that came in when I linked the document, but if I could just understand why "normal" doesn't display the font I edited in my .css file, then I think I can connect the dots for the rest.

Thanks and regards,

Tracy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 14, 2013 Mar 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tracy.

Test III does give the expected results. Despite there being a master page assigned, you can override the CSS. So if there is no CSS applied the default font (Times New Roman) is applied.

As for the other non-expected tests, you'll need to do a bit of detective work. The problem could be one of two things.

1. Your source style mapping. If you still have messy styles in your source and have not mapped them to the Normal RoboHelp style, these can cause the override.
  2. There is some style sheet override inside the topic content. You can assign a style sheet to a project, topic or topic content.

One way to find out what is going on is to roll up your sleeves and jump into the HTML. Perhaps you can post an example here of what you see for one of the errant styles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 15, 2013 Mar 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, RC

Sorry for late response, I had a family emergency on Thurs. I will do some research and will follow up shortly.

Thank you,

Trace

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2013 Mar 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tracy

Have you seen the pages on my site about Linking?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Peter:

I have looked at some of your content, but will take a deep dive today. Thanks for your continued support. I REALLY need to resolve this a.s.a.p.

Thanks,

Trace

P.S.: When I performed "Removing any inline formatting and applying proper styles will help. To remove all inline formatting from a Word document, press CTRL A to select all the text and then press the spacebar." ...it reduced the contents of the ENTIRE 252-page document to two show/hide symbols...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, gentlemen:

I ran through the tutorials and I what I am seeing is this:

• When I first link a new source doc, before I generate the topics, I have an opportunity to set custom styles via File>Project Settings>Import tab>Edit button.
  • I also see where I can then modify those settings in the same dialog box and bring in the same or updated content with the newly modified settings and they do display in the project and WebHelp.
  • Editing the correct .css (in my case the RHStyleMapping.css) in the Project Manager pod also persists when I publish AND when I

Either my real source document is fundamentally flawed, or I somehow missed a step and broke my project forever.

I am now heading back to give my ugly source document another go. Fingers are crossed!

Thanks all!

P.S.: IF essentially ALL topics in my source document have inline styles, is any of this possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2013 Mar 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The instructions for removing the inline formatting should have read CTRL and spacebar. I have amended that. Amazed no one else has reported that.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2013 Mar 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THAT DID IT! It was the inline formatting that was locking everything up! I just ran a quick test and the topics now look as I expected them to.

Thanks so very much to you and Mr. RoboColum(n)!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp