• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Appearance of Captivate link in help topic

New Here ,
Mar 13, 2013 Mar 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to insert a link to a Captivate demo in a RH10 topic. So far I am able to do that successfully, but I'd like to change how it appears in the topic. Right now the file name shows  (e.g., mymovie.swf)  ... I'd like it to appear as a button, e.g.., "Show Me", which a learner would click to open the captivate. The learner has no need to see the name of the source file.

Any ideas on how to do that? (Thanks, from a new RH user.)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 14, 2013 Mar 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depending on how you have published your Captivate movie you'll have output that includes a HTM file, the SWF file and a Javascript file. The HTM file is just a container for the movie (SWF) file and the Javascript is just a file that allows the movie to display. You can link to the HTM file as well.

There are various options available but we really need to know what output you are generating so we can advise further. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2013 Mar 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m publishing to both .swf and html5, but for now I’m linking to the .swf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 15, 2013 Mar 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I'm curious to know exactly how you are linking to the Captivate.

Did you:

A: Insert the movie directly into a topic where it appears along with other topic content.

or...

B: Add the Captivate files (SWF, JS, HTM, etc.) and you are using a link to play the movie.

As you may imagine from my response, exactly how you proceed will depend on what you have done.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2013 Mar 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi – I used the insert multimedia function to link to the .swf. And what I see when I do that is:

CREATING A QUOTE

Contentcontentcontent

Contentcontentcontent

Contentcontentcontent

Contentcontentcontent

Contentcontentcontent

Creating_A_Quote.swf

(In this case, the user clicks the link and the movie opens in a separate window, which is the functionality that I want, I just don’t want them to see the file name. The example below illustrates what I DO want them to see, but with the same function of deliberately choosing to see the movie.)

What I want to see is:

CREATING A QUOTE

Contentcontentcontent

Contentcontentcontent

Contentcontentcontent

Contentcontentcontent

Contentcontentcontent

Show me how

The “Show me how” could appear as a button or just a phrase, I’m flexible on this, but I don’t want to see the file name as I do in the top example.

I have tried to insert the Captivate movie using that specific function from the toolbar, but I’m finding that the movie appears at the bottom of the content and is already running. I want the user to choose to see the movie by clicking the link and have that movie open in a separate window.

I’m open to whatever you suggest is the best way to achieve my goal, whether it’s to insert the movie into the topic or link to it.

And thanks very much for your help. I appreciate it!

Pat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 18, 2013 Mar 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Pat

In that case here is how I would approach it.

From RoboHelp, import the Captivate created HTML file. Then it becomes a topic like any other. From there, you may enter a hyperlink just as you would in any other topic and point the hyperlink to the Captivate HTML file you imported.

Note that you may find you also need to add the associated standard.js and other files as Baggage in order to make it all work.

Another approach (assuming the Captivate movie fits neatly within the Topic pane) is that you could click Insert > Adobe Captivate Demo to put it on the page as you saw where the content was already running. Once you have the code on the page, select the Captivate and cut it to the clipboard. Then insert some text you want the user to click to see the demo. Select the text and make it a DHTML drop-down. The neat thing about this is that the Captivate doesn't begin playing until the text has been clicked to reveal the movie.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp