Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro CS6 Default save location

Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2013 Mar 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,

We are having an issue where our users only have 100 meg network drives and Premiere Pro CS6 profile data. Our domain policies redirect everything from XP Documents and settings and 7 Users to their Z:\ drive, which is mapped to a network location on the local server . When Premiere Pro first opens, it saves user specific profile data and save files by default to this location. When their drive reaches full, it will then corrupt a .DB file in this location (no space for a proper save) and then causes problems in various other sections of the program, such as importing videos/photos. You can manually select a different location on project start, but is there any way to redirect it back to the local drive users folder? These files then will have lots of space and then they can save their project file on network drive/flash media so their work is secure and safe, but the program data and scratch info has lots of free space to work with? I need to make this change permanent and inside of a deployment, is there a registry file one can change?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Mar 15, 2013 Mar 15, 2013

YUP!

I remember when trying to get support as to why the Adobe built guide for silently mass deploying Adobe Premiere Elements 10 would always throw huge windows installer crashing errors on completion on multiple machines, hardware types, operating systems, etc. broken OEM.exe, lol

The response i got from Adobe Call in for the hundreds and hundreds of machines i needed to deploy it on was:

"Just install it from the CD!"

*facepalm*

I was going to try Adobe internet chat support, a little less aneuyri

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Allow users full administrator rights and allow them to store locally looks like the best approach. They can upload to the server after they have finished editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not an option, this is an educational environment.

Thanks, any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As it stands now, working under an Admin account and local drives with My Documents left right where Windows originally installed it really is the best, most trouble free setup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, this is an educational environment. Group policies are in effect, redirecting peoples files to network locations that are backed up and secured. Admin accounts are not an option and we are trying to force Premiere Pro to default to the local drives user profile for the cached program data instead of the aformentioned network location due to the fact that files are corrupted once they reach their storage limit (restricted for backup and security reasons) Premiere Pro doesnt understand that the save location will become full and then corrupt the users DB file which stores custom settings most likely.

Presently one can change this on project start, but i very much need to find a way to force this to the local drive rather then the network drive on project start.

There must be a config file or registry change one can do to make this happen.

Single user experiences just are not going to apply here, they need to be for large scale network environments with security polices.

As an example, open PRE CS6 and when you start a project, you will see the default save location appear as to where your files will be saved. One can change this each time to a different location if you want. I want to force this back to the local drive

ie: C:\Users\%userlogon% from \\Localserver\%userfolders%\%userlogon%

Thanks, Any other ideas? Anybody from Adobe able to chime in?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't remember which link, but one of these links has an Adobe employee saying that what you want won't work

No current version of Premiere works properly, if at all, over a network

-you may NOT "map" your My Documents folder to a network drive

-you MUST give all users administrator accounts to use Premiere

-you MAY also need to... http://forums.adobe.com/thread/969395

-http://forums.adobe.com/thread/771151

-http://forums.adobe.com/thread/851602

-a work around, of sorts http://forums.adobe.com/thread/957523

-and not on a "domain" http://forums.adobe.com/thread/858977

Adobe Anywhere http://forums.adobe.com/message/4682127 will SOMEDAY be the solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JohnTSmith.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Single user experiences just are not going to apply here, they need to be for large scale network environments with security polices.

PP just isn't designed with that in mind, so it's not surprising you're having issues trying to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2013 Mar 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha ha,

Zorro was great for his cat scratches and defiance of the dons in COLLY-FAWNYA! but not so much against the consistant lack of testing from Adobe, they have plenty of money to QC and test these things six ways from sunday.

Less than 2 hours in ANY typical business environment is going to reveal these kinds of issues.

Network drives are the norm, not the one off.

Non admin accounts are also the case, giving students full administrative access is like a digital mentos into an I.T. cola.

But thats not saying Adobe built it that badly, it works fine with basic user accounts on the network, its just an issue when that network drive reaches full and the DB file goes all corruptie.

Waiting for a new version of something, praying madly that it will fix basic issues that a 200 kb hotfix could correct is nonsense. We are dealing with Adobe not Apple, after all.

I'll keep digging and see if the registry has anything under Current User and see if this can be forced in someway as PP is just reading the windows path to their user files and doesnt allow this to be changed by default, only every single time a new project is created. Scratch disks can be changed as to their default, why not user data!?@?!

Thanks for your comments everybody, but we need to find a solution. Just because Adobe states it cannot be done, doesnt mean we cant *modify* it to work properly. Otherwise Creative Suite products need to be pulled from the market for business users, lol. I'm still waiting for the patch to Crashy McCrashy Adobe QT32 Server (Media Crash, i mean Core CS6)

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>need to be pulled from the market for business users

I am not one, but there are people (some who post here) who use PPro to edit "paid" movies... ie, a business

Those people just don't try to make PPro do something it was not designed to do

As for what Adobe should or shouldn't do... I already provided the link to the (very limited) information on the "Anywhere" project

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Those people just don't try to make PPro do something it was not designed to do"

Really dude?

If anything i am trying to FORCE PP PRO to go back to saving on the local drive for program data. We never forced it to go to the network, again its just looking at the windows path to the users files, which are redirected back to the network for back up and security reasons.

I never read a disclaimer a PRO level product from Adobe couldnt work in any typical, normal and completely standard domain setup.

What i am trying to do here isnt that complicated, I am trying to force PP back to where it likes to save best and "what is was designed for". Designed for is typically a figure of speech for "oh crap, we forgot to test that, cue fancy sounding jargon."

Its 2013, this program is on its 6 version since everything was changed to creative suite. How many decades does a company need to account for standard industry practices?

I am honestly not trying to be difficult or hard to deal with here, we just need to change the default folder save location when you go to start a project.

Whether that is on the evil network location or on a different local hard disk volume is my problem. I just need to try and change this from where PP Pro, by default looks too. I really dont need any more corrupt files.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we just need to change the default folder save location when you go to start a project.

The 'default' is the location of the last project opened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jim, that helps,

the 'default' can one change this to default to a specified location every time? Are we registry hacking for that one?

But again, regardless if our opinions differ on what are the norms for things, i appreciate your positions, lets just focus on the brass tacks of seeing if its possible to set the default save location to something of ones choosing, rather then where is was last.

Thanks again!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can one change this to default to a specified location every time? Are we registry hacking for that one?

I have no idea where that information might be stored, or how to change it.  Sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim,

I am not sure if this is intentional or not,

But stop putting your personal opinions into posts to take pot shots and then editing them into more mellow messages for every one else to see. ( The email notifications one gets when a thread is updated)

1. I will put my documents right where it belongs as per GOVERNMENT policy. The C: drive isnt acceptable, you are continually proving you know nothing about supporting any kind of environment.

2. Operating with any account is a design goal of any software company, forcing users to always be admins without any clue of security policies even in a production house is ridiculous. Another worthless comment.

3. "The software is designed for production use, not educational use"  How in heaven sake do you think people are going to learn how to use a software for a production environment?????? By osmosis???? Praying hard? Dude, think about what you are saying.

Again, i was asking a simple question about how to change a basic program setting, I instead get several posts back with useless information based on personal opinions.

I thank anybody for all comments that are useful and mature. Jim, you have completely wasted my time. How your an MVP plus plus plus plus whatever truely blows my mind. Why you fervently defend program shortfalls is another.

This discussion is closed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure if this is intentional or not,

Not.  I just need to clean up my own posts sometimes, as my first reaction can be harsh.  If you don't want to see the many iterations, unsubscribe and view them only by coming to the forums in your browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. I will put my documents right where it belongs as per GOVERNMENT policy. The C: drive isnt acceptable

Well, then you run the risk of something not working on occasion.  There's not much we users can do to change that.

2. Operating with any account is a design goal of any software company

As I'm not a software designer for Adobe, I can't speak to what their design goal may be here.  But I do know there are issues with Encore trying to burn a dual layer disk without Admin privileges.  It would not surprise me at all if there were also occasional issues with PP not running with Admin privileges.

How in heaven sake do you think people are going to learn how to use a software for a production environment?

Honestly, probably the same way most of us did, by purchasing it and using it on a machine with an Admin account and My Docs on C:

Now, I'm not saying things should stay that way, only that they currently are that way.  Adobe may well catch up and work flawlessly under the conditions you need.  But...it often doesn't yet.  So if you want things to work without issue, I've offered you the instructions.  Run with Admin accounts off local drives only. It works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your 1 & 2 & 3 points are all valid... for you and what you WANT to have happen

They are not, however, valid for the CURRENT design of Premiere Pro

Harm and Jim and Joe and I have all posted links and/or said that PPro does not work the way you want

Since it appears you are not willing to listen, this is my last post in this message thread

You need to go to https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform to tell Adobe what you want

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last point here:

I thanked everybody for useful comments,

Theres no point in arguing what a company should do at the end of the day, they will make things work swimmingly or crappily regardless, cash is king.

Presently, no priviledge user accounts on the network are working peachy, not the problem. Only when the network drive reachs full does this have any issue or problem at all. Basic users with much larger network drives (such as an instructor) have no problems. *shocked crowd noise*

The point honestly is to not argue any present facts, would i like things done differently? sure, but right now none of that matters.

as we circle back around to the only main point and the only real question i had was this:

I just needed to change the default save location of premiere pro, if the program wont do this, how do i make it work or hack it to work? I of course take on all associated risks with this or running the program in the evil basic user network saving configuration.

At the end of the day, i was trying to do what you guys wanted, I wanted to have it save to C: for program caching. Users can then save the .proj files any where they wish after, doesnt matter. Im not wanting it to save to the network, group policies are just setting that default location to the network first program start. They can change it themselves even as a basic user, i just wanted to change where it goes first. I could give them Administrative access and that wouldnt change anything. Changing the group policy isnt the option, i cannot fix PP Pro and then break HUNDREDS of other things. These machines do far more then PP Pro.

I am listening, we just for some odd reason keep bashing pointless side points to this issue. All i needed to change was this default location for everybody.

Who cares if its on the network, a USB, the C drive, D drive, E drive, F drive or whatever the hell, if you dont think it will work off of C, thats fine, great, good for yah. I JUST need to change it. Thats all. The risk is on me, *Kermit YAAAY!*

So I am listening here, some people need to try READING though. Just because a program isnt designed that way, doesnt mean nobody has ever figured out a way to make it work that way. Welcome to Information Technology or Software Packaging and Deployment. There are websites dedicated to this.

Thanks again, ill ask Adobe support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One benevolent piece of advice based on my experiences:

If you are talking about Adobe call-in phone support,

you are going to be WAY over their heads.

It might lead to even more frustration than this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YUP!

I remember when trying to get support as to why the Adobe built guide for silently mass deploying Adobe Premiere Elements 10 would always throw huge windows installer crashing errors on completion on multiple machines, hardware types, operating systems, etc. broken OEM.exe, lol

The response i got from Adobe Call in for the hundreds and hundreds of machines i needed to deploy it on was:

"Just install it from the CD!"

*facepalm*

I was going to try Adobe internet chat support, a little less aneuyrism forming.

Thanks Joe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may think I'm deluded...

but this is the best place for the latest & greatest info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Network drives are the norm

For Adobe customers thus far, probably not.  But I do believe they should go after that market.  Networked storage and collabarative work flows are the norm for the larger post hosues, which have been dominated by Avid and FCP in the past.  Adobe does seem to recognize this with their development of Adobe Anywhere.  It's just not ready yet.

Non admin accounts are also the case

Again, for the bulk of Adobe customers so far, probably not.  The software is designed for production use, not educational environments.  While it's pretty clear that Adobe Anywhere is looking to handle the networking side of the issue, I've seen nothing that suggests operating without an Admin account is a design goal at Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2014 Jun 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wade-ran across this link below looking for help with a similar situation where the .norm files in Encore jam up my profile space automatically when the libraries are opened. I'm not the administrator so I still have yet to see if redirecting helps eliminate the extra data or simply duplicates it to other folders.

Folder Redirection Overview

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines