Exit

Flash 11.2.202.235 plays audio but no video in IE9

New Here ,
May 31, 2012 May 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The PC in question is running IE 9.0.8112.16421

Windows 7 64 bit

I have installed (and reinstalled) the latest flash player 11.2.202.235 to no avail.

I have disabled hardware acceleration

I have installed the latest graphics card drivers from the manufacturer.

When I attempt to play a video on sites like youtube, the player shows the initial frame, but then shows only the background (as if the player weren't there at all) and plays the audio only.  If I move the screen up and down (using the scroll wheel) repeatedly, the player refreshes and will show a frame of the video then it goes back to the background color. 

I've tested in both Firefox and Chrome and the player seems to work just fine in those browsers, so it's some sort of conflict with flash 11.2 and ie9

Currently, I have three machines that are experiencing this problem, but that number seems to be increasing.  It was only two last week.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 01, 2012 Jun 01, 2012

Do you see the same behavior with both of these videos in IE?

Test 1

Test 2

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 01, 2012 Jun 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you see the same behavior with both of these videos in IE?

Test 1

Test 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2012 Jun 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, they both appear the same.  Problem is that, now, I cannot recreate the problem.  I checked all the version numbers and they all are the same, but suddenly the problem has gone away.  Not sure what was going on, but it seems to have corrected itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 08, 2012 Jun 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, its possible you ran into a youtube issue that they've corrected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2013 Mar 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

I've got a similar problem, although I don't recall ever having the problem when in YouTube...only when playing videos (occasionally) on other sites.

I tried your Test 1 and Test 2 above. Test 1 had sound, but no picture. Test 2 was normal, with both picture and sound.

I'm running Flash Player 11.6.602.180, with Windows 7 SP1, and IE10.

Any advice?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@LAHColombia - Please check to see if you have the following Windows update installed.

KB2670838 – Platform Update for Windows 7 x64

If so, please uninstall it and try Flash Player out again.  Please note, this might also require rolling IE10 back to IE9.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did the trick, Chris.

I uninstalled KB2670838, and it automatically rolled me back to IE9 without any further action on my part.

I tried a number of problem websites, and they are all working fine.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2013 May 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

This is an FYI to your answer above. As i mentioned before, uninstalling KB2670838 - Platform update for Windows 7 x64, worked.

Then the original problem recurred. That is, i got sound with no image when playing videos, except in full screen mode, where everything worked.

I looked and found that I had received the update again, under a slightly different name: Update for Microsoft Windows (KB0670838).

As before, uninstalling the update fixed the problem. But this time, I noticed that a warning has been added to the description of KB2670838, which explains my problem:

Important Some portable computers that have a combination of Intel and AMD video cards in a hybrid configuration have drivers that are incompatible with this platform update for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.

Microsoft goes on to list some (but not all) symptoms, and a number of known incompatibilities...but again, not all.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2670838

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 24, 2013 May 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ugh!  Thank you for the heads up!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines