Expand my Community achievements bar.

Is it possible to have one text field over flow to another text field?

Level 1

I am trying to create a form on adobe livecycle and need one text field to overflow into another text field. I don't need it to expand to a second page. The design of the form is not symetrical and makes it dificult to have good text flow. What i would like is for the first text field, when filled, to overflow into the second text field. For purposes of visualization, the first text field would be in the top left corner and the second text field would be in the lower right corner. Currenlty i have the first text box set up to be multi-lined and limited to the size of the visible area. The second field is similar. I am not familar with java script so if someone could help that would be much appreciated appreciated - Matt

7 Replies

Level 5

You can do this with this script in the CHANGE-Event of the TextField1

You have only check how many digits you could enter in th first text object.

if(xfa.event.newText.length>10){xfa.host.setFocus(TextField2);}

And here you can see another solution. But I can't describe the script because it is not mine. The important thing here is that you set the maximum in "Object" "Limit Length" "Max Chairs". Then will be works this script great!!

https://workspaces.acrobat.com/?d=tow2QTZbPcM-2bbPk031pA

Hope it will help?

Kind regards Mandy

Level 1

Thanks for the help Mandy, however i am confused on how to enter the script. When i enter the script editor, it is blank. I know you can select options but i do not see one that is "CHANGE-Event". When i cycled through all of the scripts related to the text field, i did come across this:

form1.Subform1.Table7.Row2.TextField7::change - (JavaScript, client)

I entered in what you suggested, which looks like this:

form1.Subform1.Table7.Row2.TextField7::change - (JavaScript, client)

if(xfa.event.newText.length>355){xfa.host.setFocus(TextField8);}

I then clicked preview PDF and it didn't work. Any furhter help would be appreciated - Matt

Level 5

Could you upload your pdf? Or you can insert a screenshot with hierarchy, script and objects?

auto_tab.jpg

Level 1

Just to give you a bit of info on the form. If you view the form and click the add button on the revision title you will notice that the Engineering side shows blank because it isn't growing. The same problem occurs if the text field (which is set up to auto-fit) grows. To remedy that problem i added a row and made it repeatable, thus when the table grows the text field would grow (can test by using review portion of form). If there is an easier way around this please inform me as i have been working on this problem for week.

https://workspaces.acrobat.com/?d=H5Frq55O92FlnvsBwYih6g

Level 1

I just published it so you might want to try it again. Thanks for all your help on this - Matt

Level 5

I got it.

For the first: Could you tell me which text object do you mean? Release notes? Then you could use two subforms side by side not two columns.

Please describe in simple words what you want, I'm not a native speaker and my english is not so good. Sorry.

When I add rows I got error messages about the javascript debugger

XFAObject.resolveNode:14:XFA:form1[0]:Subform1[0]:Drawings_Affected[0]:Row1[0]:Button1[0]:Add[0]:click

Ungültiger SOM-Ausdruck:

I have seen you used a lot of tables in your form why?? I work long ago with the LCD but I don't do it so. Why you don't use normal textobjects? You don't need always tables.. Sorry for my review/criticism. I will try to help.http://dict.leo.org/#/search=criticism&searchLoc=0&resultOrder=basic&multiwordShowSingle=on

Kind regards Mandy