Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I get my favicon back?

Mar 22, 2013 Mar 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In an attempt to "clean out" some apparently unused javascript from my help topics, my boss asked me to generate my webhelp with the two check boxes "Section 508 Compliant Output" and "W3C Compliant Topics" selected. Foolishly, I agreed. The result had no effect on the javascript but did set my custom skin to Traditional Style and displayed the IE favicon instead of our custom logo.

I have unselected the two check boxes and selected my skin again, but I cannot get my favicon to reappear.

The whstart.ico in the Webhelp folder is the same icon as previously.

I pasted a previous version of the start topic back into the Webhelp folder. The javascript at the top of page seems to be correct. It is

<head>
<script language="javascript">
<!--
var sIcon="whstart.ico";
var sPath=document.location.href;
if (sPath.indexOf("http")!= -1)
document.write("<link REL=\"SHORTCUT ICON\" href=\""+ sIcon +"\">");
//-->
</script>
<title>Sopheon Accolade Help</title>

<meta name="generator" content="Adobe RoboHelp 8" />
<meta name="description" content="WebHelp 5.50" />

</head>

And the whstart.ico is still the correct one in the installation folder at C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Technical Communication Suite 2\Adobe RoboHelp 8\RoboHTML\WebHelp5Ext\template_skin

Does anyone have any other ideas of what I might need to do to get the favicon to come back?

I just thought of restarting RoboHelp and clearing IEs cache and restarting it but didn't want to lose this post. Will comment later if those steps don't help. (These steps didn't help either.)

Meanwhile, if I have missed something else, please advise.

John

Message was edited by: John D 67995437

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Mar 25, 2013 Mar 25, 2013

The answer: the icon only shows up on the version on the server, not on the version on my local machine.

Sorry to bother everyone with this, but glad to know that I was actually doing it right. 🙂

John

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

have you got a backup of the project? I thought the favicon was specified in the SSL recipe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jeff

No complete backup, but I do have older versions of files in source control. That's where I got the older version of the start page from.

No mention of the favicon in style sheet in RoboHelp 8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought you browsed to it - maybe I'm thinking of AIRHelp. Have you searched the RH forum for "favicon"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I have. There were various problems with a variety of solutions proposed. I thought that if I explained specifically what had caused this problem (the two check boxes), someone would understand what had been changed and be able to tell me how to change it back.

One similar post suggested replacing a block of javascript (included in the code I posted) with a single line

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="whstart.ico">

With the guidance of one of our developers, I tried that yesterday in the start page, but it didn't work either. That's when I copied the earlier version of the start page back into the project webhelp folder, thinking that whatever was on the page had worked before and so should work now.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 25, 2013 Mar 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The answer: the icon only shows up on the version on the server, not on the version on my local machine.

Sorry to bother everyone with this, but glad to know that I was actually doing it right. 🙂

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp