Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bookmarks in Master pages

New Here ,
Mar 16, 2013 Mar 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

Is it possible to link a hyperlink with a bookmark which was created in master page? If it is I can't see it when I'm trying to insert a hyperlink.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 22, 2013 Mar 22, 2013

All I can suggest for FM to RH content is to maybe run it all through a FM template that places the hyperlink "Back to Top" on each topic when it's paginated. Or you other approach is to create an Extendscript or some sort of post-generation search & replace that puts the coding into each topic's HTML coding.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Mar 16, 2013 Mar 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Where exactly did you insert the bookmark in the Master Page? Can you give us more details?

Certainly a bookmark is a bookmark and generally speaking you should be able to link to it from wherever you normally link. But we need more details in order to accurately answer your question.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2013 Mar 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I insert it outside the body.

When I'm trying to link a hyperlink with a bookmark in a topic I can see the list of the bookmarks. I don't see a bookmark which was created in the Master page.

It seems that I have solved my problem. I linked a hyperlink with a bookmark in HTML code. But in a topic I can do this using control Insert Hyperlink/Popup in a Menu. Is it possible to do this way in the Master page?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2013 Mar 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My method doesn't suits to the Project. My link works only if there is one topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2013 Mar 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possdible to use bookmarks in Master pages?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 19, 2013 Mar 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Alice

My sincere apologies as "life" has gotten a bit in the way of my forum participation. So I offer my apologies in the delay of replying to you.

In re-thinking this a bit, the question of why you would want a bookmark in a master page to begin with, comes to mind. As bookmarks typically are used to allow linking to a defined spot on the page, my thought is that perhaps you want a "back to top" that could be used? And if so, you are attempting to insert a bookmark named "top" to each of the topics easily?

If my hunch is correct, you likely are unaware that you even need a bookmark in order to accomplish the goal. If you are trying to provide a link your users may click to reach the top of the page, simply link them to a pound/hash symbol ( # ) and you have accomplished your goal.

Otherwise, please explain to me what the behavior is you are trying to create so that I might perform some testing to see if it's possible to achieve and how I might explain it.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2013 Mar 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I wank a "back to top". Sorry for my bad explanation.

The idea you suggested is good. It suits if a project consist of 5 topics for example. But if there are ten and more topics in a project to insert a bookmark to each will be difficult.

I can't believe that it's not impossible to solve this problem only by using master pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But you don't need a Master Page to do that. Just create a link that points to ( # ) and you are golden.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This assume that I will create such link in each topic, isn't it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ummm, yeah. Wasn't that what you were tying to do? Where else would you put the link?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's what I want. But I need to automate this process. I thought that I made a master page to use it to each topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you will need to do is to add the hyperlink into the footer area or just below the Body placeholder. Then ensure all topics are associated with the Master Page. That should place the link at the bottom of each topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a link that points to # in a Master page. All my topics are associated with this Master page. And it doesn't work. I don't think that I make something wrong because this method works in a topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what you are doing different from me. I just tested and it seems to work just fine when I test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Master page I insert a hyperlink in a footer. I link it to #. I associate each topic with this Master page. It is so because my link appears at the bottom of each topic. It is possible to click on it but after clicking there is an error: Can't find a way.

Do I something wrong? It works when I insert a link in each topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2013 Mar 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May be there is another way to solve my problem? Or it's impossible?

When a project consists of one topic and I associate it with a Master page everything is OK. With more topics - fail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2013 Mar 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I add a bookmark named Top to my Master page, and then a hyperlink to link to it, how can I get the bookmark to appear for selection in the Hyperlink dialog box? The master page is not considered to be a file in my list of files, so the bookmark does not appear in the "Select destination" list. There's no "Link to: Bookmark" choice.

Linking to # doesn't work with multiple topics in a project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to link to the top, just create a link to '#':

href="#"

This will always jump to the top of the page. No need for a bookmark in your master page.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I tried. Everything is OK when I add a link to # in each topic. But I need to automate a process so I use a Master page.  And this method doesn't suit for a project which consist of multiple topics.

Well, this method works with the project that was created in RoboHelp but not with the project that I import from FrameMaker

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing works in my case because all the topics are in folders. Is the another way to implement"back to top"? Cause it's difficult to move topics from folders

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I can suggest for FM to RH content is to maybe run it all through a FM template that places the hyperlink "Back to Top" on each topic when it's paginated. Or you other approach is to create an Extendscript or some sort of post-generation search & replace that puts the coding into each topic's HTML coding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FM Master pages are ignored in RH. It seems the only way is to create ExtendScript.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I didn't mean a FM Master Page, I was talking about the Matt Sullivan "run your FM content through a FM template file before bringing it into RH" method. But I'm not sure that would work either - I don't use it. Probably Extendscript or some FAR tool would work better adding the hyperlink text to the bottom of each topic after it's generated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I"m seriously not understanding why the Master Page method is unacceptable here. It simply works (at least it does when I test it) and it takes maybe five minutes to implement and add the link to all topics using the Master Page.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it works when I use it in a project which was created in RH. But it doesn't work in a project imported from FM. All the topic files fpj are in folders that's why it doesn't works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp