11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2013 10:51 AM by ECBowen

Advice on building a video raid

Evil Edison Level 1

I'm thinking about putting together a video raid and would love to get some advice from others who may have done so.  Looking to spend @$3K for speeds in the 750-900MB/s range.  Here's the setup I'm considering:

Areca 4036ML or iStorage Pro iT8SAE6G chassis

Areca 1882X or Atto r680 controller card

8xHitachi Ultrastar drives (size TBD)

I'll probably set it up as a 7 drive RAID 5 with one hot spare.  Ultimately, I will also have it backed up to a NAS drive array for added security.

Any advice from others who have put together a similar setup or suggestions for something better would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Advice on building a video raid
          Alex - DV411 Level 2

Looking good to me.

(The only drawback is that this setup is not expandable, i.e. you'd have to add a 2nd RAID controller or change the box (or drives) to add more storage.  Spending about $600-700 more will give you an "expander" version (CineRAID CR-T08E, CR-T12E) that needs only one Mini-SAS port on the controller, and is expandable to 122 drives / 8 enclosures total.  If you don't plan to use an expandable box, might as well use the less expensive non-expandable RAID controller such as ARC-1222x.)

HTH

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Advice on building a video raid
            Evil Edison Level 1

Thanks Alex.  Have you used the CineRAID chassis?  The iStorage Pro drives look good on paper (and they have an expander version) but their website doesn't inspire a great deal of confidence in terms of support.  Also, with the expander units--if you combine two or more can you stripe them together for added speed or does the raid card treat them as separate arrays?

• 3. Re: Advice on building a video raid
              Alex - DV411 Level 2

I have and so have my clients - here is one example with WD Reds (something I can't recommend - CineRAID won't support them until they get WD's OK).  Support is not exactly at enterprise Tier 1 level (HP/Dell/EMC) but it's there.

CineRAID is a division of Areca, just in case it matters.

Yes, RAID sets can span multiple expander boxes.

Also, just for the record, Areca and CineRAID use the less expensive WD RE series enterprise drives (and not Hitachis that sport a longer warranty and high MTBF numbers) - because of availability and price.  Hitachi Ultrastars are harder to get and are more expensive.  That said, they'll work with you if you prefer Hitachis, it'll just be more expensive and may take longer.  Or, you can just get the box from one place and drives from another.  The benefit of getting them all from CineRAID is that they pre-init the array and weed out the DOAs for you, as well as provide a 1-year advanced replaced program as part of a 3-yr warranty. Hope all this is not too confusing.

• 4. Re: Advice on building a video raid
                Evil Edison Level 1

Awesome, Alex.  Thanks for the info.  I'll be at NAB this year and I'll definitely stop by the CineRaid booth.  Actually, that's one of the things that gives me a little more confidence over iStorage--ie, the fact that they have an NAB booth.

• 5. Re: Advice on building a video raid
                  ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

The Hitachi and WD Enterprise drives have the same 5 year warranty. The RE4 series are the WD enterprise series.

Eric

ADK

• 6. Re: Advice on building a video raid
                    Evil Edison Level 1

Eric do you think one is better than the other or are they pretty much comparable?

• 7. Re: Advice on building a video raid

The Hitachi drives are normally cheaper but had the Deathstar reputation for a long time. We havnt used them in years for that reason. The WD RE series have been far more reliable than the Desktop drives from WD. Speed wise they are the same. BTW I dont believe you will get over 700MB/s with a raid 5 and 7 drives with 1 spare. You are going to require 8 drives minimum and you may even require more than that. It will be close depending on the controller caching model.

Eric

ADK

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Advice on building a video raid
                        Evil Edison Level 1

Thanks Eric.  I'm actually considering the 12-bay CineRaid chassis that Alex linked to.  Maybe that combined with 1TB Western Digital drives will give me the speed I'm looking for at around the same price.  That gives me 10 drives striped together in either Raid 6 or Raid 5 with spare.

• 9. Re: Advice on building a video raid
                          Alex - DV411 Level 2

The Hitachi and WD Enterprise drives have the same 5 year warranty.

Thanks Eric - was mistakenly thinking desktop drives, not enterprise.

The RE4 series are the WD enterprise series.

Do they still make RE4? Thought it was all "RE" now.

• 10. Re: Advice on building a video raid
                            Alex - DV411 Level 2

[ post removed - using the Adobe forums to solicit for any type of business is strictly forbidden ]

• 11. Re: Advice on building a video raid

They are listed as RE on the website but the 3Gb/s drives still show the RE4 designation on the drive.

Eric

ADK