Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

best practice for image inserts

Aug 05, 2008 Aug 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am planning to create new webhelp topics and edit existing topics in my project. Is it the best practice to place graphics files in the same folder as the HTML input files?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Aug 05, 2008 Aug 05, 2008
The first rule about images is that you don't "place" an image anywhere in the file system. You insert/import it into a topic using the RoboHelp dialog. RH copies it from its original location into the project folder and records it in one or more houskeeping files. If you do any manual moving of images in the Windows directory view, RH will lose track of what it has and will be "unaware" of anything you moved in.

The next point depends on which version of RH you are using. It's different for RH...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first rule about images is that you don't "place" an image anywhere in the file system. You insert/import it into a topic using the RoboHelp dialog. RH copies it from its original location into the project folder and records it in one or more houskeeping files. If you do any manual moving of images in the Windows directory view, RH will lose track of what it has and will be "unaware" of anything you moved in.

The next point depends on which version of RH you are using. It's different for RH 7, compared with RH X5 and RH 6.

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to Harvey's post, you may want to check out this link for Rick Stone's unique spin on images in RH.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I personally have always avoided the use of folders, maybe because most of my projects were large merged projects, which already contain multiple project "folders." Also, renaming/deleting these beasties later on can be a bear, as evidenced by many angst-ridden threads in this forum.

Let RH place them in its own "virtual" Images folder and leave it at that. Unless...do you feel lucky?

By the way, best practice (at least mine) is to name everything (projects, topics, graphics) with no spaces, very brief, and possibly with 2- to 3-character prefixes to more easily identify them (possibly application features, for example). Such as: sa_user_cfg.gif for a screenshot of the User Configuration window for System Administration.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the same naming convention Leon does, but I add the version number (of the application) at the beginning of the filename. For example, sa_user_cfg.gif becomes 2223_sa_user_cfg.gif if the shot was taken in version 2.2.23. That makes it much easier to purge older images later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp