Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Master Page preview looks correct but isn't applied to topics

Mar 27, 2013 Mar 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a Master Page in RH9 that has an image in the header, the body text standard and a footer with the date and page number (separated by a horizontal line).  If I preview the MP, it looks fine, i.e. the logo is there, the body text is formatted correctly and the footer appears as desired.  I then right-click on the topic and apply that MP to the topic.  Next, I generate the PDF but the MP isn't being applied.  I'm sure this is an easy fix and something I'm missing but if anyone could point me in the direction of my error, I'd be grateful.

I also use MadCap Flare and there are some similarities but enough differences that this requires further help.  In Flare, once you have a Master Page (Layout) associated with your project, it is automatically applied to the entire output.

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I think the issue here is that you are expecting the Header and Footer to end up in the PDF. Sorry, but I don't believe these survive the trip.

RoboHelp first creates a Word document, then a PDF from the Word document. If you want Headers and Footers, just create the Word document and edit it with Word to add the Headers and Footers. Then create your PDF from that.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've gotta be kidding.

Why would the MP preview look correct then (image and footer both displayed correctly)?  I just tried a quick publish to Word using the same MP, I verified before publishing that the custom MP was applied to the topic and the resulting Word .doc does NOT show the logo and footer.  So there must be something else wrong.

In any event, I'd be really shocked if what you say is true, i.e. not being able to use an image in a header of a Master Page.  Isn't that the whole purpose of using Master Pages, for branding, or repeatable content, such as date, time, page number, logo, standard text, etc.?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick, also if what you say is true, then why would I even bother with RH in the first place if I have to generate and then edit in Word?  Makes no sense whatsoever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RH wasn't designed to create printed docs; it was designed on create online type help - WinHelp, CHM, WebHelp, AIR Help; it's just the circumstances of history.

This is why those of us who need really good PDFs use TCS to single-source our content in FM and create PDFs from there & then bring that FM content into RH for help generation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jeff Coatsworth: Thanks, but forgive me for being so stubborn.  I hear what you're saying but why would RH offer publish to PDF as an option if in essence it retains none of the work you've done to customize your output?  I have used FM before as well, but my company only bought RH (long story) so I don't have access to FM, only RH and Flare.  Flare has its own issues (steep learning curve, if you ask me) but in this regard it beats RH.

So what is the MasterPage really used for, if not for this purpose?  I still think it's something I'm doing wrong, since even if I use just text in the header and footer in the MP and apply that MP to the topic, then generate a Word doc, it does not show up at all.  I'm surely missing some step or setting that is blocking this from working properly.

So, I'm sure it's user error, maybe combined with the tool's limitation(s), and that's hopefully what someone can help me with.

Thank you for your help, really appreciate it!

-- Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andrew

Of course I'm not Jeff, but I'll tell you why one might use Master Pages in RoboHelp.

Master Pages in RoboHelp are used for two completely different purposes.

For EXISTING content, they are used to populate Headers and Footers across existing topics.

For NEW content, as you create topics, you may elect to have a Master Page with certain elements laid out and/or already present.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "if in essence it retains none of the work you've done to customize your output?", I'm guessing that means you dislike the fact that the process of creating printed output disregards Headers and Footers?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@diabeartes

Printed Documentation is covered in detail on my site. Yes the loss of headers and footers is a pain but it should not be that difficult to fix.

With Rh something that is Heading 1 in Rh gets through to Word as a true Heading 1 so others, such as training, can use your document as the base for their work. Flare by contrast does not create true headings. The document looks good but it cannot be worked on in the same way without some fixing.

They each have their advantages and disadvantages.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

RoboHelp was designed as a tool to create on-line help systems. Fortunately, the same set of source material may also be used to create output intended for print. But that has always happened via Microsoft Word.

I might question why you are even interested in RoboHelp if all you want is a PDF. Why not just use Word?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick, thanks for the message.  I am interested in using RH due to reusable content (chunks), i.e. the ability to change something in one place and have it populate automatically across all places where that content is referenced.  Flare works well for that, but again, I'm interested in learning RH as well.  It's sounding like I'm not going to be able to do this.

Thanks.

Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Andrew

RoboHelp DOES offer ways to do what you are wanting. One way is via Variables. Another way is via Snippets. And yet another way is by using the Inline Frames in topics.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp