• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Setting display window to a specific size?

Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2013 Mar 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'd like to be able to limit the display of ADE to 600 x 800 pixels.  Can this be done?

(My reason is that I'm formatting a book I scanned as an ePub, using Jutoh and Sigil, but I'm new to this and learning CSS as I go.  It's useful to be able to generate and display the ePub as I make changes;  I can keep loading it into my Kobo, which has a 600 x 800 pixel display, but it's a laborious process.  It would be much simpler if I could just open it in ADE at the same dimensions.)

So:  can it be done?  Or if anyone can think of a better solution, I'd be glad to hear it! 😉

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, ADE17.2 just opens the same size as it was when I last closed it.

So once set it to the appropriate size and it should stick there.

If you want to change between a set of sizes I am sure there is free window management software out there to help,

but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

I see AutoSizer http://www.southbaypc.com/AutoSizer/  (free)

and zmover  http://tucows.com/preview/402638/ZMover  (not free)

in a quick web search.  Not tired either, and I am sure there are many more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mmm, thanks for the suggestions, sjpt.

I think I didn't express myself well.  I was meaning I wanted to size the actual display specifically, rather than the application's window, but you've given me an idea.

Perhaps I can create a document with an image at fixed dimensions — 600 x 800 — and use that to resize the ADE's display.  I'll see if that works.

I know the point of CSS is to reflow dynamically, but I think it would be useful if ADE could be set to predefined sizes, like webpage apps can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remember that as with web pages, you cannot be sure of exactly the same details on different devices even with the same pixel resolution.

Some details will depend on the underlying default CSS setup for a particular device; you can overcome that by being very precise in your CSS.

Other details will depend on the interpretation of the CSS by the device software; which you can't do anything about.

If you really want to force the CSS flow you can use lots of <br>; but that's pretty horrid.

Or format using pdf rather than epub ~ I find pdf really horrid apart from for printing, but it mighdt be appropriate for what you need.

There are tricks to size according the document part of the window rather than entire window;

though ADE's use of Flash (at least on 1.7.2) mean those don't work as easily as usual.

But, as you say, you should be able to match it by eye against a reference image; which you only need to do once.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great points, sjpt.  Thanks for making them. 🙂

I made a PNG of exactly 600 x 800 pixels at 167 ppi (the size and res of my Kobo's screen).  It kinda works, but ADE 2 still wants a border of roughly 30 pixels on either side of the displayed page, and if I try to shrink the window beyond that it starts compressing the image horizontally.

Oh well, it'll do as a rough yardstick.  I always knew I'd have to load the file into the Kobo for final checks, but this will let me get most of the work done much more quickly, and then I can do the finetuning by checking it on the actual device.

And from what I've read, ADE doesn't really behave the same as any hardware reader — I suppose it's unreasonable to expect it to, but ePub is a strangely amorphous "standard" when it behaves differently in almost every display method.  And I've (perhaps unrealistically) fallen into the habit of expecting Adobe to set the standard, or at least reflect the standard, on design and display matters.

Ah well, should get on with it.  Thanks again for your help! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally, I'm pleased that ePub gives pretty flexible (amorphous)  layout.  I fairly often change the font size on my eReader; making it bigger when I am tired, and make other changes such as minimizing borders.  I'd much rather have that flexibility than a designer imposed view of exactly what the page should look like.   That's why I hate pdf so much for anything other than its initial purpose of print preparation.

Of course, it depends on the purpose and details of the material.  For example; the artist designed layout of large text children's books should probably be preserved ~~ but they aren't suitable for reading on an eReader anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, I broadly agree, but we're talking at tangents.  Flexibility within the one display is a boon to users, but from a formatting perspective, it's difficult when trying to format something that displays markedly differently on each different display.

I have much more experience in fixed layout, with Ventura and InDesign.  So learning how to impose some design order on a flexible medium is interesting, to say the least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines