• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Which monitor is best for color grading?

New Here ,
Mar 31, 2013 Mar 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new to Editing & color grading,i am working for films,using Adobe CS6 & davinci resolve now i am looking for 2nd monitor(reference or preview purpose) which one is best to choose in budget.

my monitor is dell 27 inch ips monitor,and what to choose second one ,is it a broadcast monitor or one more ips monitor is enough? broadcast monitor is expensive then which is best budget monitor to choose?plz help me

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As usual, it depends on what your purpose is. If your output is going to be web only, then a computer monitor displaying the sRGB working space is sufficient. If your output is going to be HDTV, DVD, or Blu-ray, then you need a monitor that can display the Rec.709 working space. That means a production monitor, or at least an HDTV (with the hardware/software to get that TV a broadcast signal).

Without a proper output device to let you see what you're doing, Resolve is pointless. My advice -- buy your output device first. Use it with the three way color corrector effect in PPro for a while. You may find that sufficient. If you outgrow the Abobe tools, you can always buy Resolve when you need to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your output is going to be web only, then a computer monitor displaying the sRGB working space is sufficient.

I disagree.  For proper color correction and grading, you need to see the signal accurately, and that precludes most computer monitors and software players.  This applies regardless of how the video will be distributed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to agree with Jim, I just can't afford to follow his advice.

I find myself checking the videos I post on various different computers and televisions, just hoping that it will come out OK. Getting the proper levels is tough when you are just guessing.

Then again, I have never attempted anything as important as my current project. Therefore I am considering geting an X-Rite.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am doing my first film(2k Red footage) now i am making one budget pc setup for adobe cs6 and resolve(editing and color grade),some people telling that take one proffesional broadcast monitor (reference purpose)for color grade but i don't have that much budget which one is cheap n best for my requirement n what to do, is the dell ultrasharp is ok or anything else? plz help me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start with your budget OP. Then you can get the best suggestion for monitor to fit. Nevertheless, you muct make sure that it is compatible with the rest of your system, i.e. ports/outputs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my system config is

asusp9x79 pro,

intel i7 3930k,

Gtx 680 4 gb,

32 gb Ram,

240 gb ssd,

2 tb sata harddisk

750 watts corsair power supply

dell ultrasharp 27 inch monitor

Reference monitor -?

for reference monitor my budget is $1500 , plz suggest me about reference monitor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2013 Apr 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my system config is

asusp9x79 pro,

intel i7 3930k,

Gtx 680 4 gb,

32 gb Ram,

240 gb ssd,

2 tb sata harddisk

750 watts corsair power supply

dell ultrasharp 27 inch monitor

Reference monitor -?

for reference monitor my budget is $1500 , plz suggest me about reference monitor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a) you need a video output card...

b) you can get away with a calibrated consumer monitor

your budget won't allow for a real broadcast monitor for reference...like a TV Logic, which is a very good reference monitor as it calibrates as close to REC 709 as I've come for around 3500 bucks.

I suggest a Black Magic Decklink Studio $300, and a $1200 Plasma (you can find them, just look, Samsungs are more color correct than Panasonics in that price range), connect it via HDMI and calibrate it..., there are many cheap Bluray/DVD calibrator disks out there that getr you very close without paying 300 bucks for a pro calibration.  (Movie/Cinema mode is very close).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can u suggest me  which is the best plasma for my requirement

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I'm partial to Dell (since I already have their workstation) and their UltraSharp U3011 30" with its out-of-the-box good looks. I'm in the market too and would like to add one of these to my workstation by the summer.

However,  HP is also highly rated and in the same price range, if you prefer.

After this price point the amount of diminishing return increases dramatically. Choose wisely

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004KKGF1O/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creati...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Apr 02, 2013 Apr 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://www.necdisplay.com/p/desktop-monitors/pa271w-bk-sv

That NEC is the best choice in that price range. I believe that also includes the colorimeter as well.

Eric

ADK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 11, 2013 Jul 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes NEC makes some of the best pro monitors out there. Just make sure whatever monitor you choose is 10 bit.

You will also need a 10 bit card (sn Nvidia Quadro, AMD FirePro) and an OS (Windows 7 and beyond) that can accomodate 10 bit. As for Mac, only the current Mountain Lion is compatible. Anything before that, won't work.

The last but not least piece of the puzzle is the software. It too must handle 10 bit (few do) but the current Photoshop will. If any one of these are missing it won't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 18, 2013 Jul 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kranex1, I'm wondering, does Mac OS 10.8 actually support 10 bit graphics from something like a Quadro 4000? I know that previous Mac OS's didn't, on;y 8 bit. My internet research is inconclusive, anybody using a Quadro to drive this on Mac? Thanks for any info here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keith Moreau wrote:

Kranex1, I'm wondering, does Mac OS 10.8 actually support 10 bit graphics from something like a Quadro 4000? I know that previous Mac OS's didn't, on;y 8 bit. My internet research is inconclusive, anybody using a Quadro to drive this on Mac? Thanks for any info here.

Previeous Mac OS do not. Only current Mac OS > Mountain Lion support 10 bit. Remember, 10 bit is a rearity, so in order for it to work your entire chain must be 10 bit compatible: OS, Monitor, Program, and graphics card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Premiere Pro CC, Mac Pro 12 Core with Quadro 4000 and a ASUS Pro Art Monitor, so would I be able to hook up the displayport output from the Quadro to the ASUS and get 10 bit- or whatever pseudo 10 bit ASUS puts out?

I tried before with OS 10.7 then realized it didn't work. Would rather not use the Intensity Pro PCI card I have as it seems unstable and just extra complex. Thanks for any advice and where did you get the confirmation that 10.8 works on 10 bit?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keith Moreau wrote:

I'm using Premiere Pro CC, Mac Pro 12 Core with Quadro 4000 and a ASUS Pro Art Monitor, so would I be able to hook up the displayport output from the Quadro to the ASUS and get 10 bit- or whatever pseudo 10 bit ASUS puts out?

I tried before with OS 10.7 then realized it didn't work. Would rather not use the Intensity Pro PCI card I have as it seems unstable and just extra complex. Thanks for any advice and where did you get the confirmation that 10.8 works on 10 bit?

Bottom of the page in RED: http://www.imagescience.com.au/kb/questions/152/10+Bit+Output+Supporthttp://

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 19, 2013 Jul 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kranex1

Respectfully, I dont think the articles you linked to said that 10-bit works with Mac OS 10.8 Mountain Lion. They don't even mention that version of Mac OS. I think the article was written before 10.8 even came out. As far as I know Apple has still not updated their OS to support 10-bit  natively. If anybody has information to add to this, please do! I'm very eager to see if Apple indeed is supporting 10-bit graphics in 10.8 Mountain Lion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2013 Jul 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I presented it to confirm what they know would not work so you wouldn't have to waste time checking that. As you can see getting the right anwser wasn't easy.

Nevertheless, newer products are always being added, so you will have to check current OS for compatibility. I'm a PC guy, so I know W7 and W8 are supported in 10 bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2013 Sep 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Adobe booth this year at NAB, the Boland HD32 was used as the reference monitor.  It's also seen on the music video - editing features throughout the Adobe website.

I'd be happy to let any of you do an eval.   Just call me at Boland and I will set it up- Gary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2013 Sep 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this probably isn't the correct forum, but I'm running short on emotion.   I've got the Adobe cloud suite.  Use Premiere and After Effects extensively.  I just changed my monitor to a Dell U3014.  After changing to this monitor, I've encountered terrible color rendering issues with Premiere.  Colors are washed out and weak when viewing the render from the preview screen.  Any help would be great!

Ron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Sep 12, 2013 Sep 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the timeline playback or source monitor color like on that monitor?

Eric

ADK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2013 Sep 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Eric,

Most of our pro editors use (at least) our HD32 (true 10 bit panel). 

Our 47" is also  very good (bigger of course).  David Fincher's team

edited House of Cards on our SE47.

How much do you want to invest??  Also.... am assuming you want HD SDI?

Best Regards,

Gary

Gary Litwin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 01, 2013 Oct 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The effect that your graphics card has on external monitoring is not a factor.  Internally it is and in the effects that you use but not on proper external monitoring.

Maybe you meant to say capture card or I/O. The BM Intensity is an I/O that could work for external monitoring. 

The Dell u2410 is good for near rec709. The u2711 and the u3011 are all good. The Nec is the next thing up in someways but i heard that they rainbow a little more than the Dell and less than the Dream Color.

MAC USER.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Nov 09, 2013 Nov 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another alternative, if you can stand the price: http://usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/products/reference_displays/dp_v3010

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines