• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I import a RH 7 project into RH 10?

Participant ,
Mar 20, 2013 Mar 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have RH 7 and am about to upgrade to RH 10.

It's just occurred to me that my existing projects might not upgrade.

Are there any known issues with this and if so are there any workarounds?

I'm only really upgrading as I now have Windows 7 and so can no longer use RH 7.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Apr 03, 2013 Apr 03, 2013

OK, I have a solution.

I created a second TOC in the upgraded project and set it to copy from the latest RH7 HHC file. It didn't seem to mind that this file is a pre-upgrade one.

I then made this TOC the default and deleted the empty one.

Thanks Peter!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In most respects the upgrade should go smoothly but do make a zipped backup first. I always advocate zipping it as that stops you accidentally opening the project in any version of Rh and ensures it is always available as a backup.

The one wrinkle is lists. The way they work changed in Rh8. Whether or not it affects you will depend on how your lists were coded. See Lists on my site for information about that.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 03, 2013 Apr 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have now upgraded my project from RH7 to RH10. The upgrade seemed to go smoothly although there were a few warnings about images and topics that were outside the Project Folder. I'm not sure why they were but I have a note of them.

The project looks fine with everything present but when I close it and reopen it the TOC has disappeared. It doesn't exist at all.

I have tried re-upgrading and compiling before closing the project and the TOC doesn't exist in the CHM either although it shows in the workspace immediately after upgrading and behaves as expected when I open books and topics in the edit window.

I notice the .HHC file is 0KB (87KB in the pre-upgrade project). The HHC_BACKUP file is 71KB in both versions.

I've tried upgrading a few times but the same thing always happens.

Any ideas anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m assuming you’ve checked out the content at Peter Grainge’s site (grainge.org) on upgrading RH projects. If that’s the only issue you’ve got, why don’t you just create a new ToC in RH10?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff, yes I did look at Peter Grainge's list but there was nothing about this.

I also saw a recent unresolved post about someone losing some of their TOC after an an upgrade so it seems this sort of thing is happening to others.

I may well have to recreate the TOC but I'd rather find out what's happened first as a) I don't want to start off with a compromised project and b) my TOC is HUGE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try creating a second TOC and selecting the Copy option, then browse to the backup as that seems to have data in it.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter. I've just tried that and it does indeed give me a TOC but it's an old one. I've made quite a few changes since (in RH7) so it looks as though the backup hadn't been updated.

Is there a way of manually creating/updating a backup TOC file? If so I could do that in RH7 then do this process again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK, I have a solution.

I created a second TOC in the upgraded project and set it to copy from the latest RH7 HHC file. It didn't seem to mind that this file is a pre-upgrade one.

I then made this TOC the default and deleted the empty one.

Thanks Peter!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp