• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How am I meant to correct my Framemaker files to solve this Acrobat Distiller error?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2013 Apr 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I attempt to generate a PDF from Framemaker 9 using Distiller 8.1 I get the following error:

"

%%[ Error: ioerror; OffendingCommand: imageDistiller; ErrorInfo: DCTDecodeFilter Second SOI or SOFn JPEG marker is disallowed ]%%

Stack:

-dict-

%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%

%%[ Warning: PostScript error. No PDF file produced. ] %%"

No PDF is created. I've tried 'save as' and 'print'. I have created a PDF from this document several times before with no issues. I haven't replaced any of the screenshots in this version. Where can I find the graphic that is causing the problem? How can I solve this?

Thanks,

Niall.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brute force ...

First verify that it is an import problem. Turn off graphics and render.

If no error, turn graphics back on, and print just the first half of the document, then the last half. On error, then print half of that half. Do this binary search reduction until the bad pixel is isolated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but can you explain what I need to do in more simple terms?

1. By 'turn off graphics' do you mean remove graphics?

2. What do you mean my 'render'?

3. How do I do a binary search reduction?

I have attempted to generate a PDF of each of the 6 chapters separately. It fails with the same error message each time. I can print the document with 'generate acrobat data' disabled. This isn't ideal as bookmarks are required.

Finally, why am I seeing this error now and not previously?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. To turn "off" the graphics, simply use the esc v v shortcut (this is a toggle on/off) at the book level (no need to remove anything).

2. Render in Error's context means, then run it again with no graphics visible (but it's obvious from the Distiller error messages that the problem is in a JPEG that can't be properly interpreted).

3. To isolate the page containing the errant graphic, a binary search apporach means do one half at a time, i.e. the first half of the book abd then the second half, to see where the error occurs. Then split the offending half section into two-halves again and re-create the PDF until you've narrowed down to the page with the error-prone file.

However, you indicate that you're able to create the PDFs properly when printing wthout Generate Acrobat Data enabled. What is you default printer instance and which joboptions are specified?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks,

I find that the error occurs in any file in which I have a jpeg. This hasn't occured before this afternoon.

My default printer is Adobe PDF. Is there something specific in my Job Options I should be looking for?

Niall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How (which application & options) were the jpeg's created? Are you using any new applications (or a new camera if these are photos)? Can you still create a PDF without errors using jpeg's from an older document where this wasn't an issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Coincidentally, Nikon just released some firmware updates for some of

its cameras. One of the fixes listed for the D800 states: "In some rare

cases, images recorded in JPEG format could not be opened by some

software applications. This issue has been resolved."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2013 Apr 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They were created using Photoshop, they're not photos but graphics illustrating hardware. Oddly, when I tested the PDFs using the method you described I couldn't localise the problem. Whenever I printed the entire offending chapters using a page range from the first page to the last of that chapter it worked fine. If I selected 'all' as the page range, I'd see the error and the PDF wouldn't create.

Obviously the same applies when I try to create a PDF from the book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 03, 2013 Apr 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you look at the Distiller log file for the failed runs, it should be listing the physical page that the problem occurs on. Is this always the same location or does it change?

If you are creating the graphics in Photoshop and they are not photo images, then you really shouldn't be using the JPG format to save them (this creates artificats and is a lossy compression scheme). Try PNG or TIF (especially if you need CMYK for print production).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2013 Apr 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I never created the graphics, they were provided to me by a third party and worked perfectly up until this week.

I cannot see any physical page number in the Distiller Log file or when Distiller generates. All I get is the unhelpful, unclear and frankly baffling error message I have pasted here already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines