Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Plans for Ubuntu version of ADE?

Mar 31, 2013 Mar 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does Adobe have plans to port their Digital Editions software to Ubuntu?

This support for Ubuntu would be essential for those who own ebooks. Ubuntu users are currently unable to read their ebooks that are only compatible with ADE (i.e. to read Google Play ebooks offline).

I wish that ADE becomes available to all popular desktop platforms (i.e. Windows, iOS and Linux) so that everyone can read their DRM protected ebooks.

Hat Adobe irgendwelche Pläne, Digital Editions nach Ubuntu zu migrieren?

Diese Unterstützung für Ubuntu wäre sehr wichtig für die, die Ebooks haben. Ubuntu Benutzer können derzeit keine Ebooks lesen, die nur mit ADE kompatibel sind (z.B. Google Play Ebooks offline lesen).

Ich wünsche, dass ADE für alle populäre Desktop Plattformen zur Verfügung steht (z.B. Windows, iOS, und Linux) damit jeder deren Ebooks mit DRM lesen kann.

Schönen Tag noch.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 01, 2013 Apr 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it fairly unlikely Adobe will port to Linux. 

They only have minimal support on the other platforms; and after months still haven't fixed the myriad bugs in ADE2.0 on Windows and Mac.

Does ADE work under Wine?  You might have a better chance with ADE1.7.2 than with ADE2.0 under Wine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Apr 03, 2013 Apr 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your quick reply!

I then read this tutorial for setting up ADE in Wine:

http://robert.penz.name/440/howto-install-adobe-digital-editions-on-ubuntu-12-04-and-use-it-with-an-...

I don't have an e-reader, but double clicking on the ascm file opened it in ADE under Wine. Then it downloaded a protected PDF in my home directory for offline use. ADE for Windows ran surprisingly fast on Ubuntu 12.10, and it opened up all the notes/bookmarks and pages. I haven't found a problem with it yet other than trying to open the ascm file from within the ADE interface.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 04, 2013 Apr 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Some filetypes (eg .acsm) won't open in ADE using the file open (ctrl-O) option, but will open using drag drop from Explorer onto ADE.

File open not working is a stupidity (bug) that applies to ADE even in its native environment;  you will probably find drag-drop works in Wine as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines