Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ordered and unordered lists don't work in Windows 7

New Here ,
Apr 03, 2013 Apr 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I updated my css when I went from Robohelp 5 Word to Robohelp 8 HTML (using Peter's site as a guide - thanks, Peter) and its been working fine in Windows XP. I just got upgraded to Windows 7 and the ordered and unordered list styles don't work at all. I've read through Peter's site and feel like I'm running in circles. Can someone please look at my styles and tell me what I'm doing wrong? I prefer to follow the simple method of calling lists. Thanks, Jan

}

OL,

UL {

margin-top: 0px;

margin-bottom: 0px;

font-family: Verdana;

font-size: 10pt;

padding: 0pt;

}

Li {

margin-bottom: 6pt;

font-family: Verdana, sans-serif;

color: #000000;

}

P.Ordered1 {

margin-top: 5pt;

font-weight: normal;

list-style-type: decimal;

}

P.Ordered2 {

margin-left: 18pt;

list-style-type: lower-alpha;

}

P.Ordered3 {

margin-top: 2pt;

margin-left: 35pt;

list-style-type: lower-roman;

}

P.Unordered1 {

list-style: disc;

}

P.Unordered2 {

margin-left: 15pt;

list-style: square;

}

P.Unordered3 {

list-style: circle;

margin-left: 28pt;

}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What browser are you using? That may have an impact on how your css is interpreted…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This is a common issue on upgrading. The problem is that the list style is defined in the paragraph style, not in the list item style. Please carefully read the entire page and available documents on www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/lists/lists.htm

Post back if you have any questions.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Willam,

I'm getting confused going through what to do. I originally had them as a list style: Li. and then I tried Li.P- and then I added span code. I thought Peter was saying that the problem with Windows 7 is that the normal styles is no longer automatically assigned and we had to add that to the css thus my code above.  I don't know what know what else to try. Thanks, Jan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff, It is Windows Internet Explorer 8 or 9. I'm not at work right now and can't check. thanks, Jan. Additional information is that the Webhelp I built for our application from Windows XP, Windows Internet Explorer 7, using list styles for the ordered and unordered lists, are displaying the bullets and numbering lists accurately. And some of our users are viewing the web application in Windows 7, Internet Explorer 10 and there also the lists are displaying correctly. The paragraph style I use in the above code is new code I just wrote trying to follow some of the advise that's out there. Robohelp 8 is a new install on my Windows 7 environment laptop that the IT guys replaced my tower with WinXP with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 04, 2013 Apr 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First let me clarify that what I said was that the problem started in RoboHelp 8, not that it is a Windows 7 issue. If there is something on my site that has led you to that conclusion, please let me know where. Also what Adobe have done is change to standards rather than continuing the old way of writing lists which is wrong.

Second the CSS you have shown has not been cleaned up so I am guessing that what you did was go for the quick and dirty option of ticked the Convert to HTML option in Tools > Options. To the best of my knowledge that should still work so maybe it got deselected?

Let's look at some of your CSS.

OL,

UL {

}

Li {

}

P.Ordered1 {

}

LI is what defines your lists but there is no list style defined, at the moment that is in your P.Ordered1 style where from Rh8 onwards it will not work. First step would be to just move that line to the LI style except that you have multiple list styles and what I have just said would apply that to all lists. You need LI classes. I will come back to that in a moment.

Yes I have said that you can apply a paragraph style and a list style to content but that does not mean one will correct errors in the other. What it means is that you can have a very basic list style just defining the type of bullet and then apply a paragraph style to apply other properties. Thus you could have:

LI {

list-style-type: round;

}

P.Ordered1 {

}

P.Ordered2 {

margin-top: 10pt;

font-size: 14pt;

}

The LI tag would give you round bullets and nothing more if you applied that to some paragraphs that were written in Normal. Then you could apply the paragraph class Ordered1 which would then add a top margin of 5 points to each item and set the font to 10 point. If you applied Ordered2, as well as applying LI, then you would have a 10 point top margin and text in 14 point.

I suspect you have a massive clean up job because first of all you need a number of LI classes (note LI, not Li - case difference) to deal with 123 and i,ii,iii type lists etc. Then you need to clean up all your topics to correct the incorrect references going forward. Changing a style name in the CSS does not change the reference to it in your topics.

Going forward, each of your list classes would appear in the List section of Style pod and you would apply them from there. You could then also apply paragraph styles. However, I repeat, both styles need to be correct. Having a definition in the P style that should be in the LI style and then applying both does not correct things. Both styles must be correct separately.

Depending on the level of skill you and your colleagues have in CSS and reworking the topics, you may need external support. You may find you can do this yourselves with some practice but do take backups at every stage. I did a clean up for a large organisation and it is very easy to make a simple slip that cannot be reversed. To use Rick's old example, see the list below and change all instances of B to A using find and replace. Now just change back the A lines that were B. Not so easy. BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP.

A

A

B

A

B

B

Sorry it is not a simple answer but the fix is not simple.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to read through carefully everything you've said Peter. This is what i originally had and it worked fine until I got upgraded to Windows 7, Windows Internet Explorer 9. Its odd to me that my Webhelp build  done in Windows XP is displaying correctly in Windows Internet Explorer 9.

}

OL,

UL {

}

Li {

}

Li.Ordered1 {

}

Li.Ordered2 {

}

Li.Ordered3 {

margin-left: 5pt;

}

Li.Unordered1 {

}

Li.Unordered2 {

}

Li.Unordered3 {

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let us know how you get on. The only reason I can think of is the option referred to.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Does it make a difference capitalizing the "i" in Li?

This article was very helpful when I went from RH5Word to RH8HTML: http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/lists/Make_CSS_list%20styles_work_RH8.pdf

I am reluctant to use the Style Editor as you suggest in this article http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/lists/lists_single_level.htm because I thought Rick or someone advised doing changes directly to the css so that RH didn't add any of its own script to the css. So I was trying to make these changes to the css through Notepad as I always do.

Peter, do you think I should take the stance of it's a brave new world and start editing through the Style Editor provided by Robohelp instead of the usual way I do it?

Thanks,

Jan

I do keep the option selected to convert to HTML. I started doing that when I ran into so many issues converting 8 large projects from RH5Word to RH8HTML. When I first cleaned up the Kadov files I used the approach of LI and P together and it worked in RH5HTML but didn't when I converted up to RH8HTML. That's what I mean -- I feel like I am going in circles with my css and not sure what to do. I'd like to keep the style names so I don't have a massive cleanup because we have multiple large projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think the "i" will matter as long as it is consistent in CSS and your topics. Perhaps Willam would confirm that.

There was a time when I for one did not use the Rh style editor but it has improved a lot. Sometimes I use that and when I need something it doesn't cover, I use the options described in the Rh Changed Features.

When I need to see exactly how the CSS is laid out I can open the CSS in Design Editor. Right click the CSS file and select Edit With > HTML Editor. The CSS file will be opened in the Design Editor where you can edit in the same way as in any text editor.

It's sounding like you have reverted to an old CSS. What you are saying sounds like you did do a cleanup.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This whole conversion process has been multiple cleanups. The one I'm doing now is long overdue. I'm still confused how to set the list styles within the paragraph style to display correctly in Windows 7/Internet Explorer 9. Peter, what does your css look like for creating this UL style you reference in the rh single level lists web page?

<ul type="disc">

<li><p>first line</p></li>

</ul>

I used the style editor and it still creates this list style:

}

OL,

UL {

}

li.Unordered1 {

}

thanks again for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so i spent the day cleaning up my css and my webhelps are now displaying the ordered and unordered lists correctly in Windows Internet Explorer 9 from Windows 7 using RH 8 HTML. I kept the ordered and unordered lists simple and cleaned up styles that may have been conflicting within the css that have been edited since RH5HTML but not totally scrubbed. Thanks for your help Peter and everyone. As always, its nice to have a place to come touch base with things that are puzzling after going round in circles trying to figure out solutions beforehand. I find the style pod useful but still prefer to just write them straight out in Notepad.

Question: do you still avoid using the RH toolbar to apply the bullet and numbered lists? I just apply the correct style but I have colleagues who prefer the toolbar.

here's what my current ordered and unordered lists look like:

}

OL,

UL {

}

li.Unordered1 {

}

li.Unordered2 {

}

li.Unordered3 {

}

li.notebullet {

margin-left: 30.5pt;

margin-right: 24.5pt;

}

li.Ordered1 {

}

li.Ordered2 {

}

li.Ordered3 {

margin-left: 35pt;

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 05, 2013 Apr 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Question: do you still avoid using the RH toolbar to apply the bullet and numbered lists?

To insert a list:

1. Click the bulleted list button or the numbered list button in the toolbar.

2. Right click the list and select Bullets and Numbering.

3. Go to the tab Custom and select your list style.

You cannot use the style dropdown to apply list styles. You use that to apply paragraph styles to the paragraphs inside the list item.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add to Willam's reply, if you have more than one bulleted or numbered list style, you can select those via the Style Pod.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2013 Apr 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter. That was my question to Willam because that's what I do. Do you think my styles look okay now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just glancing at them, they look OK. The acid test will be trying them. Perhaps play with them in a test project that is free of any embedded or inline styles.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Willam!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capitalization doesn't matter in selecting elements. It does matter when selecting classes.

Example:

The selectors below all select the same element:

Li {}

LI {}

li{}

The selectors below select DIFFERENT elements:

li.myclass

li.myClass

li.MYClass

These selectors select distinct classes! (At least in XHTML that RoboHelp uses.)

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp