• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HELP with ADOBE ID & Asus tablet

New Here ,
Apr 08, 2013 Apr 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had been previously downloading ebooks from my library's digital library to my tablet's 'library' with no problems. Recently, there was an updated website...and when I went to download books I got some weird messages.

Long story short...I had to end up changing my Adobe ID password...and try to reauthorize but it seems to be not letting me open the books. There's some message about a previous ID...

What's weird is my husband was able to set up his elibrary, download books without an adobe id with no problem.

This has GOT to be an Adobe issue...my library's tech folks can't figure it out.

I need someone to call me, email me and help me fix this please!!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you please provide the specific error message?

also please let me know which Adobe Application are you using?

and how are you downloading the ebooks?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2013 Apr 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "My Library" that came with my Asus TF201 uses DRM...and the Maryland Library has this: http://maryland.lib.overdrive.com/C1E1F91E-4ADD-4431-8E23-8939F2617BDC/10/50/en/Default.htm

I was using DRM fine and then I noticed that the MD Library totally updated their website one day. I was trying to download books and it appeared they were downloading but wouldn't open or they would be blank books (blank pages). So I downloaded the Overdrive software from the MD library..

Somewhere in the process it was asking me to do something with my Adobe ID. Well heck, I couldn't remember that I had one much less the password so I forced it to allow me to reset the password. I went thru the steps to "confirm" it under the DRM setting. Well...then it was telling me something to the effect that I already had an Adobe ID or that I had multiple ones. So it was like it wouldn't recognize the updated password.

Any attempts to download books are "unsuccessful" - it won't do anything. I know it has to do with that stupid Adobe ID. 

My husband has an Asus tablet as well and we compared his settings with mine yesterday. He didn't download any Overdrive software...he's also not using any Adobe ID. But he's able to download his books straight to the tablet's "My Library" (.epub or .pdf format) just fine and read them from there using DRM.

I'm frustrated and pissed...he has the version ASUS tablet just before mine.

I keep reading about resetting the Adobe with the CTRL-SHIFT commands...but it didn't work!!! I'll try again later tonight. Could you send me the LINK to ADE when you say "start ADE"??

HELP!!!!! I don't want to use the Overdrive software...I want to continue downloading books to "My Library" and reading them thru that (DRM). 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Laura Moreno-Hill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First: your issue.

(1) Try entering ctrl-shift-D (cmd-shift-D on Mac) to ADE on your computer.  That should clear it of any memory it has of your first ID. Restart ADE and you should then be able to register it with the new one.

(2) Almost the same with the eReader.  With the eReader plugged in, start ADE.   Enter ctrl-shift-E (cmd-shift-E on Mac) to ADE to remove any memory the eReader has of your old ID.  Restart ADE and your should then be able to register the device with your new id.

~~~~~

There are several kinds of ebooks.  There are even two kinds of .epub books (the commonest);  DRM-free .epub and Adobe-DRM .epub.

DRM free ones can be transferred easily between any number of devices.  ADE will do the job, but I find the free open-source Calibre a much superior solution, and in many cases just copying using a file manager such as WIndows Explorer is the easiest.

Adobe-DRM .epub books are much more restricted.  Once you have an Adobe-DRM .epub book it is associated to just one AdobeID and that cannot be transferred.  You can transfer the book between different devices with the same ID (eg a computer running ADE and an eReader).

There may be one of two reasons things are working for you husband. 

1. He is using non-DRM books.
  2. He is using DRM books, but only reading them on the computer to which he downloads them.  If you don't give ADE an AdobeID it generates a sort of implicit/anonymous ID which is fine for use just with that copy of ADE.  However, that ID can't be passed on to any other devices, so books associated with that ID are effectively locked to just that single copy of ADE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "My Library" that came with my Asus TF201 uses DRM...and the Maryland Library has this: http://maryland.lib.overdrive.com/C1E1F91E-4ADD-4431-8E23-8939F2617BDC/10/50/en/Default.htm

I was using DRM fine and then I noticed that the MD Library totally updated their website one day. I was trying to download books and it appeared they were downloading but wouldn't open or they would be blank books (blank pages). So I downloaded the Overdrive software from the MD library..

Somewhere in the process it was asking me to do something with my Adobe ID. Well heck, I couldn't remember that I had one much less the password so I forced it to allow me to reset the password. I went thru the steps to "confirm" it under the DRM setting. Well...then it was telling me something to the effect that I already had an Adobe ID or that I had multiple ones. So it was like it wouldn't recognize the updated password.

Any attempts to download books are "unsuccessful" - it won't do anything. I know it has to do with that stupid Adobe ID. 

My husband has an Asus tablet as well and we compared his settings with mine yesterday. He didn't download any Overdrive software...he's also not using any Adobe ID. But he's able to download his books straight to the tablet's "My Library" (.epub or .pdf format) just fine and read them from there using DRM.

I'm frustrated and pissed...he has the version ASUS tablet just before mine.

I keep reading about resetting the Adobe with the CTRL-SHIFT commands...but it didn't work!!! I'll try again later tonight. Could you send me the LINK to ADE when you say "start ADE"??

HELP!!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Laura Moreno-Hill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I think I may have misread your initial post.  I was assuming that you were using the Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) software that runs on a PC or Mac, and then transferring books to the tablet.  This is the Digital Editions forum, but I see somebody else moved your post to this forum.  Anyway, I guess it should cover anything to do with Adobe's horrible DRM infrastructure as well as just ADE specific problems.

Can your please just confirm my reading of your second post: you are both just using tablets and downloading your library books directly to the tablets, and not using a PC or Mac at all as part of the process?

In that case, ignore most of my previous post.  My reference to 'start ADE' was starting the program on Mac or PC.

I haven't got an Asus tablet, and it looks as if the "My Library" software is different enough from what I have tried that I can't give any direct advice.

Doing a quick google search came up with a thread that may be useful:

http://www.transformerforums.com/forum/guides-tips-tricks/13558-guide-faq-my-library-e-reading-assoc...

and which included a pointer to an issue a bit like yours

http://www.transformerforums.com/forum/transformer-prime-general-discussions/13369-adobe-drm-authori...

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is correct...I'm NOT using a PC or Mac computer -- only using Asus tablets. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Laura Moreno-Hill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines