Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to add a custom web apps root page?

Contributor ,
Apr 09, 2013 Apr 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw in Jan 2013 System Update the following:

"Render a custom page when accessing the root URL of a Web App. For example, if you have a “blog” Web App, the items can be made accessible at  /blog/my-blog-post, and you’ll have the ability to customize the /blog page"

Could someone point me in the correct direction for instructions on how to make use of this feature. 

Couldn't appear to find a link from the Blog release notes to anything, and also tried trawling through support and forums for a suitable post.

Closest I found was one about using sub-folders for web app items.

I've tried adding a page in website admin, with the same URL as the web app, but it simply throws an error as it clashes with Web App url.

Cheers

Mike

TOPICS
Web apps

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 09, 2013 Apr 09, 2013

Hi Mike.

Because a folder can have a index.html Web apps in the past you could not access that ability. You had to make a page and you could not SEO call it the same as your web app.

SO

Your web app is called Blog.

You can now make a folder in your root called Blog.

In that folder you can create a page and give it a url of index.html

Now when you access the a web app directly - www.yoursite.com/yourwebapp or www.yoursite.com/yourwebapp/index/html you will access that index page.

You can also put other

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike.

Because a folder can have a index.html Web apps in the past you could not access that ability. You had to make a page and you could not SEO call it the same as your web app.

SO

Your web app is called Blog.

You can now make a folder in your root called Blog.

In that folder you can create a page and give it a url of index.html

Now when you access the a web app directly - www.yoursite.com/yourwebapp or www.yoursite.com/yourwebapp/index/html you will access that index page.

You can also put other pages under that folder if you want too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once again Liam a fanatastic help!

Cheers

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2016 May 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Is there still no method for rendering a truly clean web app "root page", i.e., one that uses the exact same "displayed" path to the web app root (/webapp) as used when displaying items dynamically generated by the web app (/webapp/item-name), or does a BC user just have to take whatever SEO hit comes from using a different syntax for the web app "root" URL (the addition of .htm/.html).

Obviously, there's some sort of underlying structural issue with BC's code, so I guess the real question is why BC doesn't care to fix it? It's clearly possible with almost any Apache/PHP based architecture (I know from experience using Wordpress, Drupal, and a couple of ecommerce platforms). Lisewise, according to this post, the same is also possible with IIS/ASP.NET (SEO For ASP.NET Web Sites: URLs ).

Thanks in advance for anyone's guidance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines